or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 535

post #8011 of 14489
That M3 is too expensive.
post #8012 of 14489
Pierce, that Mustang III is greasy, but I mean that in a good way. Respect.
post #8013 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepitm View Post

Pierce, that Mustang III is greasy, but I mean that in a good way. Respect.

 

Thanks. It was a fun build. I did it all with junkyard and swap-meet parts. I left a few square yards of knuckle skin under that hood.

 

What I love is that the Mustang II is that most reviled Mustang in history. I mean, I found the body at a swap meet where the guy couldn't unload it. But I knew the old Mustang 302 uses the same mounts and has the same plant as the 5.0 HO, and the HO can be stroked all the way out to 347 for not much money. Heck, you can find a crate 347 for $1500, or pick up a 1991 5.0 HO block and a stroker kit for half that including the machining. I traded the guy a case of homemade beer for the body. I had to haul it. No drive train, no seats, and it was white. But hey.

 

I've got a nice little shelf of People's Choice trophies even though judges consistently hate it. Last year I had a judge just ask me, "Why?" and keep walking. The purists in my car club -- the guys with the Deuces and the chrome-and-opalescent 1940's Fords -- see it coming and just shake their heads. My fellow hot-rodders in the club love it, though. It's that fine line between rat rod irreverence and 70's muscle.

 

Also, I pick up a fair amount of cash on street-legal nights at the dragstrip from tuners who think old school "can't hang." It launches like it's been catapulted off the deck of the Kitty Hawk. If I heat up the rears just right, the front wheels come off the ground. I'm in the mid-12's on a good light. :) 

 

I love driving it downtown on a date with my wife and throwing the keys to a valet: She gets a kick out of telling them, "Don't even think about it. He knows the odometer."

post #8014 of 14489

Damn there's some nice rides here. Mine:

 

2000 Ducati 900 SS

 

700

 

2008 Mustang GT

 

700

 

1999 Yamaha V-Star 650

 

700

post #8015 of 14489
Fuck these pleb cars. I'll post a picture of what I'm driving in an hour.

It's some next level type shit.
post #8016 of 14489
P1010180.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010007-2.jpg

P1010134.jpg

blaunchmini.jpg
post #8017 of 14489
Old house and the car is now sold, but I wanted to participate as well. Went 11.16 @ 117 mph pump gas, naturally aspirated.
post #8018 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuyLe View Post

That M3 is too expensive.
Bimmerpost is hilarious. a typical FS post there goes through the seller's life history, the values he was raised with, how this car was a dream come true for him and how he treats it better than his children...and BAM! out comes the asking price which is usually $10k+ higher than the car's book value. this particular car hasn't been sold for about a year and the original asking price was, IIRC, $34k

you'll find other similar posts on that forum. a used 1M for $110k (it did have a ton of very expensive mods), limited edition M3's for $80-90k. they are such M3 fanboys that people start completely serious posts about how the M3 is better than a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini, or their favorite target, the GTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce R View Post

Thanks. It was a fun build. I did it all with junkyard and swap-meet parts. I left a few square yards of knuckle skin under that hood.

What I love is that the Mustang II is that most reviled Mustang in history. I mean, I found the body at a swap meet where the guy couldn't unload it. But I knew the old Mustang 302 uses the same mounts and has the same plant as the 5.0 HO, and the HO can be stroked all the way out to 347 for not much money. Heck, you can find a crate 347 for $1500, or pick up a 1991 5.0 HO block and a stroker kit for half that including the machining. I traded the guy a case of homemade beer for the body. I had to haul it. No drive train, no seats, and it was white. But hey.

I've got a nice little shelf of People's Choice trophies even though judges consistently hate it. Last year I had a judge just ask me, "Why?" and keep walking. The purists in my car club -- the guys with the Deuces and the chrome-and-opalescent 1940's Fords -- see it coming and just shake their heads. My fellow hot-rodders in the club love it, though. It's that fine line between rat rod irreverence and 70's muscle.

Also, I pick up a fair amount of cash on street-legal nights at the dragstrip from tuners who think old school "can't hang." It launches like it's been catapulted off the deck of the Kitty Hawk. If I heat up the rears just right, the front wheels come off the ground. I'm in the mid-12's on a good light. smile.gif 

I love driving it downtown on a date with my wife and throwing the keys to a valet: She gets a kick out of telling them, "Don't even think about it. He knows the odometer."
car looks like a shit ton of fun. despite the hate, i don't think that's the worst Mustang in history though. that honor belongs to my Dad's departed '79 4-cylinder coupe. i think that thing had less power than a Pacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanders View Post

Damn there's some nice rides here. Mine:

2000 Ducati 900 SS

700
love the Duc
post #8019 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Bimmerpost is hilarious. a typical FS post there goes through the seller's life history, the values he was raised with, how this car was a dream come true for him and how he treats it better than his children...and BAM! out comes the asking price which is usually $10k+ higher than the car's book value. this particular car hasn't been sold for about a year and the original asking price was, IIRC, $34k
you'll find other similar posts on that forum. a used 1M for $110k (it did have a ton of very expensive mods), limited edition M3's for $80-90k. they are such M3 fanboys that people start completely serious posts about how the M3 is better than a Ferrari, or a Lamborghini, or their favorite target, the GTR

How do you tell the difference between some folks here and folks there? confused.gif


laugh.gif
post #8020 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

How do you tell the difference between some folks here and folks there? confused.gif
laugh.gif
good point lol8[1].gif

the object of the obsession might be different but the behaviors are the same
post #8021 of 14489
I don't think any m3 fanboi is delusional to the point of declaring the m3 better than a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or GTR.
post #8022 of 14489
Hroi, how much would you say that M3 is worth? While a little high at 26, I don't think it's within the realm of ridiculousness.

Granted, I didn't know that that particular M3 has been on the market for over a year and started at 34 -- that's ridiculous and the significant price drop obviously reflects the market.
post #8023 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I don't think any m3 fanboi is delusional to the point of declaring the m3 better than a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or GTR.
it's gotten a lot better, but 2 years ago their "M3 vs..." forum was laughable. there definitely were Ferrari comparisons tossed about. to this day they still talk shit about the GTR (and to some extent the 911). but like i said, there are a lot more reasonable/less biased members than there used to be
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Hroi, how much would you say that M3 is worth? While a little high at 26, I don't think it's within the realm of ridiculousness.
Granted, I didn't know that that particular M3 has been on the market for over a year and started at 34 -- that's ridiculous and the significant price drop obviously reflects the market.
my bad, i double checked the OP and it's been more like half a year since he posted it, not more than a year.

first, do you value the aftermarket parts he has on? those kW coilovers for instance cost me $2500 for my E90M...if you were going to buy something like that, well, you don't have to anymore. ditto the Rogue RSM's, and the other parts (although i kind of agree with A Y that the other stuff seems kind of pointless). of course, if you do value that stuff don't tell the seller that tongue.gif

the low miles and the meticulous maintenance is a plus, but tbh stuff is always going to break as a car ages no matter what. my E46 averaged $2-3000 in repair costs for the first four years out of warranty and i was just as meticulous with maintenance as he was (sans the OCD spreadsheets laugh.gif )

you can prolly get a stock 2004 M3 with <50k miles for $20-23K. so you're paying a premium of $3k at best for the mods and the "privilege" of buying from a BMW enthusiast. so you're right, not completely ridiculous but you can do better. if he won't negotiate, at least get him to throw in the APEX ARC8's for $26k happy.gif
post #8024 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post


car looks like a shit ton of fun. despite the hate, i don't think that's the worst Mustang in history though. that honor belongs to my Dad's departed '79 4-cylinder coupe. i think that thing had less power than a Pacer.

 

Believe it or not, there is a deep, bitter, teeth-grinding hatred between the '79-83 Mustang owners and the Mustang II owners. They have to separate us at Mustang shows. 

post #8025 of 14489
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Guys,
There's an E46 M3 I'm seriously interested in with low miles and the color combo I want. The current owner seems to be a freak when it comes to maintenance and the car is in MINT condition.
The one downside, if there was one, is the fact that it's got the SMG transmission. Should I steer clear just for that one fact? Owner says that it has been a very reliable car during his ownership.
Here is the link to his FS thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=746605
Thoughts?
I'm actually (pleasantly) surprised his car hasn't sold yet!

Read his post. Would not buy from that douche if you paid me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!