or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 474

post #7096 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

some things have changed and I need to purchase a car sort of soon and it doesn't look like I'll be getting much help. anyone have any experience with repairs/maintenance on a 7 series? particularly an 08-10 one. will have around 20-30k miles on it (since most of you are US, I did the conversion). anything I should know prior to getting into one?

From all the signals this post is sending out you should consider a Honda Accord.
post #7097 of 14199
+1 I don't see how you could possibly need a 7-series.
post #7098 of 14199
That's a big purchase for a first car, unless you scored a job paying 6 figures I would reconsider. Your around my age from what I remember.

If you must get a BMW, how about a 3 series. You can score one for about 25K , maintenance/insurance is expensive so I would really consider everything before buying the car.
post #7099 of 14199
Hey Goldilocks, I think you'd find a 5-series to be just right.
post #7100 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaker13 View Post



my baby. minus the black wheels
Nice, what model XK? R or RS?

I drove the R convertible during one of those exotic car tour things and was pretty impressed with it. Creamy smooth torque and super comfortable GT. I prefer something more 'edgy' but this is a great blend of power and luxury
post #7101 of 14199
^ also took an R (coupe) for a spin and was pleasantly surprised. they're quite nice actually. Curious to see what it's little brother looks like in person. Side note, saw one of the Infiniti cross-overs' and they leave a lot to be desired.
post #7102 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

From all the signals this post is sending out you should consider a Honda Accord.

No thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

+1 I don't see how you could possibly need a 7-series.

does anyone really need a 7-series..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex View Post

That's a big purchase for a first car, unless you scored a job paying 6 figures I would reconsider. Your around my age from what I remember.
If you must get a BMW, how about a 3 series. You can score one for about 25K , maintenance/insurance is expensive so I would really consider everything before buying the car.

insurance isn't going to be a problem; car will never be in my name and will be under fleet insurance.

okay, maybe a 7 isn't the best idea. I don't want something childish though. Any suggestions?

I've moved on from the A/S5 simply because I see the necessity for a sedan/SUV. I mean, I love the car, but those back seats are tiny and I could never feasibly take people out



p.s nice pickup on the XK. The R is so awesome. Not really a fan of the RS' look though (too much for my taste)
post #7103 of 14199
If you're willing to go SUV, and I assume you want to stay classy, join the ranks of GL drivers. The 4-matic would be great on winter roads there too.
post #7104 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

If you're willing to go SUV, and I assume you want to stay classy, join the ranks of GL drivers. The 4-matic would be great on winter roads there too.

I was thinking this. what was your experience with it? also, iirc they have a bluetec (?) that is essentially a diesel. is that any good?
post #7105 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

If you're willing to go SUV, and I assume you want to stay classy, join the ranks of GL drivers. The 4-matic would be great on winter roads there too.

I was thinking this. what was your experience with it? also, iirc they have a bluetec (?) that is essentially a diesel. is that any good?

Well, I'm on my second GL so that should tell you how I feel about the vehicle. Do not get the Bluetec. I saw a review where the 0-60 was about 12 seconds. The 450 has plenty of power but the 550 is a beast.

For a big vehicle it drives like a small one. Very responsive, 4-matic has insane traction control, and the vehicle stability system really cuts sway and body roll so you can corner pretty well if you have sticky tires on it. The suspension leveling system also works great, from lowering it by a couple inches at high speeds to auto leveling if you have a heavy load. The interior is fine, comfy and well laid out. If you can get a 2013 they have improved the vehicle and the cockpit.
post #7106 of 14199

In response to the original "Cars we drive" question: I currently have a 2006 Mazda RX-8 (Shinka). I'll probably be looking to trade it in towards something a little more practical next year. I'll really miss its handling, which is terrific for a car of its size. I'll also miss its looks, which I always liked. However, what I won't miss is it's SUV-like fuel consumption.

 

If Mazda can ever figure out a way to make a rotary engine that doesn't gulp gas, it would probably sell like hotcakes. However, I think they've been trying that for 50-odd years, so I won't hold my breath (yet). 

post #7107 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Well, I'm on my second GL so that should tell you how I feel about the vehicle. Do not get the Bluetec. I saw a review where the 0-60 was about 12 seconds. The 450 has plenty of power but the 550 is a beast.
For a big vehicle it drives like a small one. Very responsive, 4-matic has insane traction control, and the vehicle stability system really cuts sway and body roll so you can corner pretty well if you have sticky tires on it. The suspension leveling system also works great, from lowering it by a couple inches at high speeds to auto leveling if you have a heavy load. The interior is fine, comfy and well laid out. If you can get a 2013 they have improved the vehicle and the cockpit.

damn, 12 seconds lol I'd be better off riding a bike. was looking at diesels because I was thinking that, once I'm done with the vehicle, I could ship it overseas and leave it in Europe (gas is stupidly high over there so diesel makes much more sense).

I doubt I'd be able to get a 2013; they are ~80 right? too high for me right now. I don't want to be left with financing (don't think I'd even qualify); I'd rather just use what I have and pay the vehicle upfront. 4-matic sounds great, especially since they are already talking about getting a decent amount of snow this winter, as opposed to the snowless winter of last.

was it in the shop, other than brakes/oil etc, at all when you had your first?
post #7108 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

once I'm done with the vehicle, I could ship it overseas and leave it in Europe (gas is stupidly high over there so diesel makes much more sense).

Don't

People are generally vary of us cars for sale in Europe, due to stolen vehicles being sold in europe, also us cars are often spec'd differently, than european versions (suspension, radio, plastic etc.).

All european sold Cadillac goes through a rebuildat a factory in Holland, before they are shipped to the dealer, where they change the dashboard, suspension and some other things.
post #7109 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Well, I'm on my second GL so that should tell you how I feel about the vehicle. Do not get the Bluetec. I saw a review where the 0-60 was about 12 seconds. The 450 has plenty of power but the 550 is a beast.
For a big vehicle it drives like a small one. Very responsive, 4-matic has insane traction control, and the vehicle stability system really cuts sway and body roll so you can corner pretty well if you have sticky tires on it. The suspension leveling system also works great, from lowering it by a couple inches at high speeds to auto leveling if you have a heavy load. The interior is fine, comfy and well laid out. If you can get a 2013 they have improved the vehicle and the cockpit.

damn, 12 seconds lol I'd be better off riding a bike. was looking at diesels because I was thinking that, once I'm done with the vehicle, I could ship it overseas and leave it in Europe (gas is stupidly high over there so diesel makes much more sense).

I doubt I'd be able to get a 2013; they are ~80 right? too high for me right now. I don't want to be left with financing (don't think I'd even qualify); I'd rather just use what I have and pay the vehicle upfront. 4-matic sounds great, especially since they are already talking about getting a decent amount of snow this winter, as opposed to the snowless winter of last.

was it in the shop, other than brakes/oil etc, at all when you had your first?

In Canada a 2013 GL450 is going to be about 90-110k, depending on options..plus your various taxes...so probably what? 120k or so out the door?
post #7110 of 14199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

In Canada a 2013 GL450 is going to be about 90-110k, depending on options..plus your various taxes...so probably what? 120k or so out the door?

base GL450 is 75 here in Canada. Comfortably equipped, it's 82. Either way, like I said, it's beyond what I'm comfortable spending
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!