or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 390

post #5836 of 14763
After seeing the Gran Coupe, and tons of A7's and CLS - I'd say the Gran Coupe, no question. CLS550 then A7 last. Must get the non-M sport 650i with the 20"s and the LED headlights, preferably black on black. That is basically today's version of what the old black on black 5-series from the 80's and 90's were. Doesn't need to be M everything to be a nice car, it can just be a 'sports sedan' and still be nice.
post #5837 of 14763
Ya, people are going to collect a 1 series 20 years from now.

WRX generation will be buying them up in a few years best to dump it sooner than later.
post #5838 of 14763
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlybear View Post

lol @ jet for being an idiot. Chevy conversions were very common for the reliability issues of jaguar engines, especially big v12's you fucking turd. go eat some curry

 

McDonalds' are also pretty common. Not that I mock the small block Chevy, mind you.

post #5839 of 14763
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

in fairness to the 1M, it looks like that's the way the M cars are headed - the M version being an up jumped version of the turbo motor in the non-M car.
which means that I [jv] got the last true M-engined car with the e90M [/jv] devil.gif

And to be extra fair, what was the last collectable M car? I'd argue the S54 M Z3 Coupe and maybe the E46 M3. Not all M cars have great legacies. The latest M5s, M6s, and the trucks leave a lot to be desired.
post #5840 of 14763
Wouldn't really consider the 1M to be much of a collectible. a) we live in an age where everything is marketed as a special edition of something; AMG's are a dime a dozen, Audi S/RS are common, BMW 'M' should stand for 'mass produced' - and they made almost 3,000 of those 1M's; if you make 3,000 of a car, that means it's not rare. b) the true rare insta-collectible cars of today have to have pedigree and actual rarity - that usually comes in two or three-letter acronyms like CSL, LTW, EVO, or Porsche GTx RS/CS. It's not good enough to be just an M or an AMG. c) the 1 series is one of the least desirable BMW platforms ever built, it's collector's value will never get out from under that fact alone. There are many more BMW special editions that are rarer and more desirable - Italy always seems to get a bunch of limited editions.
post #5841 of 14763
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Y View Post

And to be extra fair, what was the last collectable M car? I'd argue the S54 M Z3 Coupe and maybe the E46 M3. Not all M cars have great legacies. The latest M5s, M6s, and the trucks leave a lot to be desired.

S54 Z3 M coupe, e46 M3 and M3 CSL, E61 M5 touring. maaybe the E85 M coupe (but the M5T and the E85, not really for the looks)
post #5842 of 14763
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

who would buy this though? GT3/2 cars are basically all the same price after they've been raced, doesn't matter if it's a fancy Ford or a Ferrari, they are loose little track whores not tight enough for a privateer team worth the competition. At $300K that's an expensive track car too, not for people who care about their money. Could come with a whole gang of spares and they'd still not be worth it.

That's less of a track weekend car and more of a Porsche Cup car. I car that tricked out is not just for joe schmoe, it's for a team.
post #5843 of 14763
What's up players? Long time no talk. Picked up these two new black/black luxo cruisers last week. Also just got the 355 back from its second engine out major. Wayyy too much car activity the last month. Unfortunately the 355 needs new cats, may just do test pipes. Hope all is well with everyone!

7488925122_b5b507d63d_c.jpg

7512722024_8f41c07ac9_c.jpg

7512717666_d33d40b765_c.jpg
post #5844 of 14763
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

A7 over CLS no question, it's a beautiful car.
Not sure compared to grancoupe, would have to compare in person.

Yeah I will prob go with the A7 if my kids push me to a holiday i'll go with the A5 happy.gif

post #5845 of 14763
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

Wouldn't really consider the 1M to be much of a collectible. a) we live in an age where everything is marketed as a special edition of something; AMG's are a dime a dozen, Audi S/RS are common, BMW 'M' should stand for 'mass produced' - and they made almost 3,000 of those 1M's; if you make 3,000 of a car, that means it's not rare. b) the true rare insta-collectible cars of today have to have pedigree and actual rarity - that usually comes in two or three-letter acronyms like CSL, LTW, EVO, or Porsche GTx RS/CS. It's not good enough to be just an M or an AMG. c) the 1 series is one of the least desirable BMW platforms ever built, it's collector's value will never get out from under that fact alone. There are many more BMW special editions that are rarer and more desirable - Italy always seems to get a bunch of limited editions.


I think the AMG black series cars are going to be collectable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

S54 Z3 M coupe, e46 M3 and M3 CSL, E61 M5 touring. maaybe the E85 M coupe (but the M5T and the E85, not really for the looks)

How about the Z4M those are not very common. (except on here).
post #5846 of 14763
well, I included the Z4M Coupe there, but it's all about that motor - I can't really say anything nice about the styling of that car. redface.gif I am kind of hesitant to call the AMG black series collectible, they're still a little mass produced - a C63 AMG black is cool, but will it be as collectible 'cool' as say, a 190E 2.5-16V Evo II? The late 80's and early 90's had a bunch of great homologation and special edition cars where the makers really pulled out the stops in spite of pure profits, and outfitted cars really smartly. There hasn't been too many of those in recent years.

off topic but kinda related I guess, I was trying to tell my friend about this old Subaru WRX special edition with the huge fenders, it was a blue-only GC coupe done by STi, a really limited model that made like 400hp - does anyone remember what I am talking about? It was rare and expensive from the time it was made, I think it cost R34 GT-R money at the time.
post #5847 of 14763

Z8, i feel like I never see them, front isnt my favorite but the profile and tail look fantastic, 5,703 built, not rare but not too common for sure

02-senner-tuning-bmw-z8.jpg

post #5848 of 14763
ah good call - i would put the Z8 very firmly in the collectible category. Ever seen the used prices for them? They sell for the same or more as what they sold for new, 12 years later.
post #5849 of 14763

A friend just got one, was able to steal a ride in his DB9 and now he's picked up a Z8; the guy has taste. Ill have to offer to car-sit for him.

post #5850 of 14763
the best gauge for collectibility IMO is the used car market. so with that criteria you really only have the e46 M3 CSL, the e36 M3 ltw, the Z8, and (gasp) the 1M. of course the 1M is a year old and you really can't gauge market price by what the eBay gougers are asking for, so we'll give it a bit of time before we judge
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC (Houston) View Post

What's up players? Long time no talk. Picked up these two new black/black luxo cruisers last week. Also just got the 355 back from its second engine out major. Wayyy too much car activity the last month. Unfortunately the 355 needs new cats, may just do test pipes. Hope all is well with everyone!]
awesome. just awesome. how's maintenance been on the F355? is it as bad as everyone says?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!