or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 386

post #5776 of 14185
In the same vein as sportswagons,I also don't understand Range Rovers...
post #5777 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

Just curious, when someone buys, or receives, or whatever one of these crazy super cars, do they get driving lessons of some sort? I don't know if I personally would feel entirely confident getting into such a machine, having never driven anything with such power.

i can only speak for a Ferrari F430, but on the street it was extremely easy to drive, even in heavy traffic. It's when you give the gas more than a light push that it'll really wake up, and you sure as hell can feel it, but you'd have to be a genuine idiot with no understanding of the car to wreck it while driving carefully. The driver aids are also really good and it allows most anybody to drive a car very quickly with little effort. Turn these off and all bets are out.

From what I've heard, modern day Lambos are also similar.
post #5778 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahman View Post

In the same vein as sportswagons,I also don't understand Range Rovers...

What don't you understand?

It was the first luxury 4*4 and they can go anywhere, unlike most other SUV's.
post #5779 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

i think enthusiasts love hi performance wagons because of the whole "i'm so hardcore even my fucking wagon hauls ass" vibe.

I just like the idea of the juxtaposition of a seemingly-boring wagon with a big honking engine in it that can out-drag a Ferrari, as well as the "sleeper" aspect to them.

A 2-door sportscar or sports coupe can be seen as ho-hum and expected. A 4-door full-size sports saloon less so and therefore more desirable to me, especially when it's low key (e.g. E39 M5). And a full-on sports wagon is just the next iteration of that idea.
post #5780 of 14185
I understand wagons, it's the idiotic "super SUV's" that blow my mind.

The XM series, AMG Merc SUV's, etc.

The X6M has got to be one of the most unusual sales craze's of late, and the worst of the bunch.
They only seat 4, are horrible in the winter, have no storage space, and can't handle for shit, but I see the damn things everywhere! Two of my neighbors have them...

Make superwagons look completely sane.
post #5781 of 14185
Super SUV's are a bit like high hp wagons, you don't expect a Q7 to have 500hp and be able to do 0-100kph in 5,x sec.

A mate of mine was riding his 750cc motorcycle on the autobahn last summer, at about 180kph and Q7 started blinking to pass, so he pull right and let it get up on his side and then give it full throttle, the Q7 was faster. laugh.gif


The X6 doesn't make any sense.
post #5782 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

What don't you understand?
It was the first luxury 4*4 and they can go anywhere, unlike most other SUV's.

I don't understand 2013 Toyota Landcruisers here in the USA.... have you seen how much they sell for?

http://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/

the motherfuckers start at $78,000.00?!!

I used to wonder why I seldom see newer (2010 and above) Toyota Landcruisers here in the US but then I saw how much they cost here and was surprised. In asia the Landcruisers are common (and actually can be a practical car for families).

if you're going to spend $80k on a SUV then buying a toyota for that price is a tough sell....
post #5783 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

What don't you understand?
It was the first luxury 4*4 and they can go anywhere, unlike most other SUV's.

That's really not true these days. RR's are pretty good off-road, but the tires are shit and the wheel articulation ain't what it used to be. Right out of the factory, your list of decent off-roaders is fairly short. Wrangler Rubicon and Dodge Power Wagon would be best I think, and then you have the 4Runner/GX twins, and I think the Range Rover is down a little from there. It's certainly better than one of the car-based SUV's like an Explorer, but no longer a genuine off-roader.

I do like the Range Rovers OK in terms of just being a nice luxury SUV, but if you ask me the Land Cruiser is better in basically every way.
post #5784 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

if you're going to spend $80k on a SUV then buying a toyota for that price is a tough sell....

Drive one back to back with a Range Rover and you'll change your mind.
post #5785 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpress View Post

I understand wagons, it's the idiotic "super SUV's" that blow my mind.
The XM series, AMG Merc SUV's, etc.
The X6M has got to be one of the most unusual sales craze's of late, and the worst of the bunch.
They only seat 4, are horrible in the winter, have no storage space, and can't handle for shit, but I see the damn things everywhere! Two of my neighbors have them...
Make superwagons look completely sane.

Gotta disagree on the X6.
They come with 5 seats now.
I had no problems with them in Russian winters.
The boot is big enough to accomodate several suitcases - all I need.
The handling is good for a car that size - a lot better than i.e. Range Rovers.

The only thing that can be discussed is the design.
post #5786 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannerhan View Post

Drive one back to back with a Range Rover and you'll change your mind.

I've never doubted the Land Cruiser's quality and worth... my dad collects them he has 2 right now (and old school 80's diesel one with the two bench seats that face each other in the back) and a newer 2010 one.

I'm just saying that its a tough sell at 80K here in the US market that is extremely brand conscious...
post #5787 of 14185
Landcruisers have always been recockulous...in the late 90's they were already 60 grand
post #5788 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

I'm just saying that its a tough sell at 80K here in the US market that is extremely brand conscious...

True. Which is all the more reason for me to like them. In the end I went with a Sequoia for our family to get the added space and pocket the $25k, but I've always loved the LC.
post #5789 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD View Post

I've never doubted the Land Cruiser's quality and worth... my dad collects them he has 2 right now (and old school 80's diesel one with the two bench seats that face each other in the back) and a newer 2010 one.
I'm just saying that its a tough sell at 80K here in the US market that is extremely brand conscious...
my mom had one ('79 i believe) when i was growing up...she worked for the UN and they used to send her to Asia and let her use one as her personal vehicle. i remember them being complete shite on the roads, no creature comforts whatsoever but they would never break and were invincible offroad....when i grew up and saw the modern version of the Landcruiser i was like, WTF is this?
post #5790 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

What don't you understand?
It was the first luxury 4*4 and they can go anywhere, unlike most other SUV's.
If you really want to shell out for some genuine offroader with snorkel kit and all that and go camping cross deserts and shit you go with tough as nails landcruiser and not care about having plush leather seats which you're going to ruin anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!