or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 266

post #3976 of 14185
For what it's worth, most M3's I see in New York are are absolutely stock, save for the occasional lowering, which I think is fair enough, and once in awhile rims, which can also be reasonable.

I'm not going to count tints, cause everyone here has them. So yeah, I don't think the M3 scene that Drew is talking about is the same the world over, maybe in small pockets.
post #3977 of 14185
ima put bbs rims on my m3 and see what you guys think icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif you can tell me if I'm douching it up lol8[1].gif
post #3978 of 14185

If you live in Seattle, mayor McSchwinn's pot holes will kill your fancy rims.  I've bent a few, car and cycle.

post #3979 of 14185

post #3980 of 14185
I am driven in a W12 VW Phaeton limo. Ok, not really, but I'm looking for a new set of wheels. My thoughts change from day to day. Here's today's list:

Porsche Cayenne
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (4 door hardtop)
Cadillac CTS sports sedan
Alfa Romeo (whatever large sedan might come to our shores in the future) (not gonna happen, I know)
Audi A8 - would need to buy used
Lexus GS - the new sedan for $46k +/-

I have to act like a professional, so the snoot factor has to factor in a bit.
post #3981 of 14185
Phaeton is pretty doable within your budget. used, of course, because i don't believe they sell it new no mo

might as well get that one...a marvel of German overengineering
post #3982 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

You really gotta toe the line with an M3, it's a great car and yet it's so easy to make one douche-y. The people who have come before have mostly ruined their reputation with black rims on blue cars, time attack wheels, black grilles, fake CSL trunks, useless carbon lip spoilers and flaps, red angel eyes, carbon fiber or red roundels, the list goes on and on. It's pretty sad.

Very true. It's sad. This currently affects the E46 more than the E9x, but I'm sure the worst is yet to come.
post #3983 of 14185
that's because anyone with $15-20k can get themselves into a 2001-2004 with enough money left over to rice the fuck out of it
post #3984 of 14185
post #3985 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Phaeton is pretty doable within your budget. used, of course, because i don't believe they sell it new no mo
might as well get that one...a marvel of German overengineering

They were sold in the U.S. for only a few years, but I read that they are coming back in 2014. I drove the Phaeton W12 when it came here in 2004, IIRC, and it blew my socks off.
post #3986 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

They were sold in the U.S. for only a few years, but I read that they are coming back in 2014. I drove the Phaeton W12 when it came here in 2004, IIRC, and it blew my socks off.

Looking at Phaetons now. Any word on a used low mileage Bentley or Aston Martin? I bet repair costs and parts would be steep with those cars. I know we have some 1%ers around here, corporate jets and billionaires.
post #3987 of 14185
My stepfather Piper Warrior needs an engine over haul every 2,000 hours at something like $20,000 a pop... I imagine an Aston Martin is far cheaper. I always wondered a V8 Vantage with 6 Speed and 3 petals can't be much. I would guess a bit more then a Vette?

~Kurt
post #3988 of 14185
Astons maintenance cost is actually one of the cheaper ones in it's class in comparison to Ferrari, Lambo or Bentley. It is around the same range as a Porsche, just very sligthly more. For wear and tear, it really depends what breaks down in the car. For Vantages, the most common problem seems to be oil leaks, those tend to be covered by warranty but it cost cost a grand or two to fix at times.
post #3989 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkI View Post

For what it's worth, most M3's I see in New York are are absolutely stock, save for the occasional lowering, which I think is fair enough, and once in awhile rims, which can also be reasonable.
I'm not going to count tints, cause everyone here has them. So yeah, I don't think the M3 scene that Drew is talking about is the same the world over, maybe in small pockets.

NYC isn't really a car place man, so that doesn't count. From what I gather on the internets though, there's tons of badly modified cars in the NY area for sure, they definitely apply to the shittily modified BMW camp out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

ima put bbs rims on my m3 and see what you guys think icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif you can tell me if I'm douching it up lol8[1].gif

You should be safe, but stay away from the red centercaps. I hate those with the passion of the christ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post

I am driven in a W12 VW Phaeton limo. Ok, not really, but I'm looking for a new set of wheels. My thoughts change from day to day. Here's today's list:
Porsche Cayenne
Jeep Wrangler Sahara (4 door hardtop)
Cadillac CTS sports sedan
Alfa Romeo (whatever large sedan might come to our shores in the future) (not gonna happen, I know)
Audi A8 - would need to buy used
Lexus GS - the new sedan for $46k +/-
I have to act like a professional, so the snoot factor has to factor in a bit.

Pretty mixed list, I'd get the A8, I think you'd stay happy with it for awhile. Get a 2008+ one. Maybe get a separate 'fun' car so that you don't expect the A8 to do everything.
post #3990 of 14185
Quote:
Originally Posted by impolyt_one View Post

NYC isn't really a car place man, so that doesn't count. From what I gather on the internets though, there's tons of badly modified cars in the NY area for sure, they definitely apply to the shittily modified BMW camp out there.
You should be safe, but stay away from the red centercaps. I hate those with the passion of the christ.
Pretty mixed list, I'd get the A8, I think you'd stay happy with it for awhile. Get a 2008+ one. Maybe get a separate 'fun' car so that you don't expect the A8 to do everything.

A8 with maybe a used Boxster S (can be found for relatively little $) for weekend fun sounds like a good combo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!