or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1719

post #25771 of 26274

@ramuman sorry for your loss my friend.  Hopefully good memories of him will get you and your family through this difficult time.

 

 

On car related matters, we were invited to drive the new 718 Boxster and Boxster S on an auto cross course, and we to drive the new turbocharged 991.2 S (911S) and Macan GTS, Macan S, a Cayenne, and a new base Macan, on a race track.  I didn't have much time behind the wheel of the new 718 Boxsters...so I didn't form much of an impression (other than at idle they sound like my neighbor's WRX, but when someone is really on it, they do sound better).  But I'm also not really in love auto cross courses so maybe it wasn't the best way for me to experience a 718. 

 

Although, I am a big fan of Porsches, I've never really had that much interest in the newer 911s (other than the 911R and the 997 GT3RS 4.0).  However, the latest 911s were pretty impressive on the track.  It was definitely the hardest I've ever pushed any 911 in corners.  Would have liked see what I could do with one of their mid engine cars on the track, but still I had an absolute blast.  The Macan GTS and S were both fun to play with on the track...the Cayenne didn't do much for me (too big and too much body roll), but I'm not an SUV person.  Then they sent us out for a "Hot lap" as a passenger in the 911s with a professional driver at the wheel and it was awesome!  I had a great time, but just looking at the cosmetic condition of these relatively new 911s that were being tracked, helped reinforce the idea that I'd never track a car I really cared about and intended to keep for a long time.  

 

Below are a few pix from the Porsche event.  

 

We also started researching and looking  at new cars for the Mrs (not Porsches).  It will be interesting to see if she makes the switch from a 4 door sedan to a coupe.  

 

The 718s                                                                                                                  

 

The Fleet of 911s

The SUVS on the track

post #25772 of 26274

There are a few autocrosses in the area over the next few weeks. I really want to go to one, but I don't think I'll be able to because I should do all the maintenance stuff on the miata first. So much sad...

post #25773 of 26274
The 718 looks awesome and sadly, I've never driven one. Porsche keeps making badass go karts for adults.

@ etc - try to hit one up. You can just do one session and you'll learn a lot that will help a ton.
post #25774 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

There are a few autocrosses in the area over the next few weeks. I really want to go to one, but I don't think I'll be able to because I should do all the maintenance stuff on the miata first. So much sad...

I don't really like autocross but my wife does.  I've done a few at Porsche events, but I had a lot more fun on the race track.  I can see how tracking a car can be addictive, but it can also be expensive (tires, brakes, upgrades, etc) and does beat the sh*t out of a nice car.  An acquaintance luckily had track insurance because he put a Porsche 993 into a wall and totaled it about 4 months ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

The 718 looks awesome and sadly, I've never driven one. Porsche keeps making badass go karts for adults.

They do make some cool adult go carts! Driving the various cars on the track you can see why someone would be dramatically faster on a track if a car has PDK rather than a manual transmission, but I still like to row my own gears.  

post #25775 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post

If MB had something between the E300 and AMG E63 that would probably be my preferred choice. Maybe I'm just, as you say, boring but I won't just roll over on my opinions just like you won't on yours.

E43 AMG should be coming out soon.
post #25776 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I don't really like autocross but my wife does.  I've done a few at Porsche events, but I had a lot more fun on the race track.  I can see how tracking a car can be addictive, but it can also be expensive (tires, brakes, upgrades, etc) and does beat the sh*t out of a nice car.  An acquaintance luckily had track insurance because he put a Porsche 993 into a wall and totaled it about 4 months ago!

 

Another reason to do autocross.

 

A couple of minute runs won't destroy your tires and brakes. More than normal, sure, but it's nothing like running aggressive laps!

post #25777 of 26274
I like the 718 styling esp in the rear but the turbo 4 banger is a complete nonstarter.
post #25778 of 26274
post #25779 of 26274
Tesla should just have an optional piped in engine sound like some Beemers already do.
post #25780 of 26274
As long as the cabin is insulated enough to keep the noise pollution inside.
post #25781 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I like the 718 styling esp in the rear but the turbo 4 banger is a complete nonstarter.

I don't love its styling at the moment, but it may eventually grow on me.  The 4 banger is a bit tough to swallow, when a well equipped 718 Boxster S is sitting on the showroom floor for better than $90K.  

post #25782 of 26274

Something about being $9k under the market valuation screams "salvage title" or something beneath the surface that you won't want to deal with...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I like the 718 styling esp in the rear but the turbo 4 banger is a complete nonstarter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I don't love its styling at the moment, but it may eventually grow on me.  The 4 banger is a bit tough to swallow, when a well equipped 718 Boxster S is sitting on the showroom floor for better than $90K.  

I liked the short-lived 981 Boxster quite a bit, still retains the 6 and has most of the latest styling cues that still feel fresh. I just don't see how too many people are out there willing to shell out $90k for a 4 banger Porsche, or even $60k tbh.
post #25783 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post

As long as the cabin is insulated enough to keep the noise pollution inside.

If society can withstand the trunk full of sub-woofers phenomena it will manage through EV recorded engine noise.
post #25784 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I don't love its styling at the moment, but it may eventually grow on me.  The 4 banger is a bit tough to swallow, when a well equipped 718 Boxster S is sitting on the showroom floor for better than $90K.  

 

LS swap!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian View Post


Something about being $9k under the market valuation screams "salvage title" or something beneath the surface that you won't want to deal with...
 
It's an automatic.
post #25785 of 26274
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!