or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1695

post #25411 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReveller View Post


My buddy with the Modena I poasted a few weeks ago, when he got it
Me "So how fun is it??"
Him "It's OhhhK. Alotta attention. People video you on the highway. Talk to you at the gas station. Some crazy UFC guy tried to race me all the way home and start a fight every stoplight."
Me (dying laughing now) "What, you wanted to be inconspicuous? Chix dig it, yeah?"
Him "I guess.."

Christ that was funny. Lol. Better insight on why folks don't daily these things, even in summer. Still a beautiful machine. I suppose you have to be in the mood for serious attention each and every drive is all.

Hahahaha....so true!   An acquaintance has a yellow F430 (which makes a red Ferrari seem subtle), and his wife who is very low key, hates riding in the car because of all the attention it gets.  

 

Yes, plenty of guys ask questions at gas stations, ask to take pix, or comment on it if we meet up for our local cars & coffee, or they want to race...but it ranks about a 0 in terms of being a chick magnet.  Anyone buying one for that purpose will be sorely disappointed.  Exotic cars are probably the ideal choice if a widow or a cougar want to meet young guys!

 

However, once a car reaches a certain age (and its probably with any vintage car), you tend to get more thumbs up from older people, mom's pointing out the car to their kids, or if you are at an intersection or merging with traffic people tend to be more friendly and give you the right of way.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


In our case, we wore shorts and white t-shirts or something along those line in an un-modded Wrangler. Still got more attention from women than any decent car I've had. All I get now are guys in Mustangs and Corvettes trying to egg me on to a stoplight to stoplight race.

Yup, pretty much same experience.  

 

Only time I can recall a women paying attention to me driving an exotic, I was about 36, came to a stop in front of my house, pressed the button to open the garage door and as I was about to back up, when 2 girls about 16 or 17 yrs walking on the street old waived and blew kisses to me.  I was already married at the time, and they were way too young.  That is the only time the car has gotten attention from girls.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReveller View Post

The wranglers can be modded up nice from time to time. The vast majority are stock though. 

Wranglers if modded tastefully can be pretty cool...and they definitely attract chicks instead of guys.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReveller View Post

I loved when that happened in the e46 m3. Back when it wasn't so old in Miami some dude lit me up in a modded 'stang across the 195 to the beach one night. Good for him. The real winners were both of us 'cause no troopers or cops around. Fun times.

My only experiences encountering a M car when I was in the 328, 1) a younger guy in an e46 M3 on the other side of the road saw us, he made a u-turn at the nearest set of lights ahead of him, in my mirror I could see him flying up the road through light traffic, and then he wanted to race me off the line ...he kept revving the engine and looking over before the light changed.  His car being at least 10-15 years newer and having more HP & torque would easily have been quicker.  Anyway, maybe being too old, and having an older car, and values having gone up in recent years, I don't take up drag racing challenges at stop lights.  Mostly, if I encounter another interesting car on winding roads or highways (vintage 80's  M6, air cooled 911, Lotus etc) I might cruise with the other car for a bit, but not actually race each other.  

 

2) traffic was merging- a guy in a  Z3 M coupe waived me forward and allowed me to merge into traffic ahead of him.  

 

Also, was on a 2 lane highway and had an Audi S5 bearing down on me fast so I signaled and moved to the right lane to let him by, but he sort of hung to the back corner of the car for a bit watching, and when he and is gf pulled along side they both gave a thumbs up and I gave them a thumbs up, they cruised along side me for a bit and then they took off.  

post #25412 of 26351

People who wear dive watches like the Rolex Submariner call them desk divers as they never truly take the watch diving.  There has to be a similar term for modded Wranglers and the like which look like they could conquer the off-road but never get dirty.

post #25413 of 26351
If it's never in snow and never on a bumpy trail either...it's basically just a style preference. Some points of course must still be awarded for end-of-world preparedness, however. :P
post #25414 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

People who wear dive watches like the Rolex Submariner call them desk divers as they never truly take the watch diving.  There has to be a similar term for modded Wranglers and the like which look like they could conquer the off-road but never get dirty.

In the uk SUVs are called Chelsea tractors.
post #25415 of 26351
So I indulged my wife in a similar wrangler fantasy on our first trip to Hawaii. Rented one of the week we were there. Oh man was it awful.

The ride just punishes you. Like, nonstop. I have had cars with rock hard suspension all my life but there's something about it that gives you constant jarring movements even when the road is perfectly flat. The base engine can't even get you to 65 if there's any kind of incline on the highway (easily remedied by getting the big engine, to be fair).

And then, the top. Took me like 10 minutes to put up. So we left it permanently off. Oahu has this weird weather where it's constantly sunny and beautiful but then you're hit by short rain showers constantly. The sun never goes away, it's just like someone has a shower head over you and turns it on and off randomly. By the end of the day I felt like I was coming down with the flu from getting alternately drenched and baked. The permanent open top also meant that anything you bring or acquire has to be carried or small enough to fit in the lockable compartment

I know, I'm just not one of those people who "get" Jeeps. There's people who don't "get" my car things either. But I tried hard! Usually I can find something that says, ok this isn't for me but someone who has these specific needs would love this. But not this time
post #25416 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by double00 View Post


lol ouch. well try taking a miata on a fire road. a wrangler beats a land rover any day, twice over after 70,000 miles lol when the Disco's had a heart attack...

a quick case for the wrangler: a little truck with a drop top, a great platform for mods (cosmetic and performance), one of the only remaining manual trucks gotten (mercedes tranny), incredible resale value, easy to wrench, cheap insurance, can tow within reason. 

the 4-door versions have independent front suspension. the rubicons and 2 doors have solid front axles. (i prefer a truck feel)

you can drop the windshield for crying out loud! the only competition for a new model wrangler are the Toyotas: FJ cruiser and 4runner. Wagoneers are expensive and old. Land Cruisers are enormous and thirsty. can park the 2 door anywhere, etc etc...

to each their own i sez. 
Somehow my phone didn't load the last 10 hours of posts and I wrote my novel without seeing this. So I guess I do see its appeal as a true cheap off-roader. And it does look cool with one of the most awesome histories of any car in production. But man, it's rough to live with for me
post #25417 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

plenty of guys ask questions at gas stations, ask to take pix, or comment on it if we meet up for our local cars & coffee, or they want to race...but it ranks about a 0 in terms of being a chick magnet.  Anyone buying one for that purpose will be sorely disappointed.  Exotic cars are probably the ideal choice if a widow or a cougar want to meet young guys!
Ferraris are not the exotic cars to own if you want that kind of female attention. You'd need a Lamborghini 😁.

Not sure if the attraction would be from the kind of girls that you'd want to notice, though.
post #25418 of 26351
Snooki. Marla Maples.
post #25419 of 26351

I'm sure a slightly lifted miata would be a blast on a forest road.


A legacy would be better though: http://jalopnik.com/a-subaru-legacy-just-put-legions-of-jeeps-to-shame-off-1787234886

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

So I indulged my wife in a similar wrangler fantasy on our first trip to Hawaii. Rented one of the week we were there. Oh man was it awful.

The ride just punishes you. Like, nonstop. I have had cars with rock hard suspension all my life but there's something about it that gives you constant jarring movements even when the road is perfectly flat. The base engine can't even get you to 65 if there's any kind of incline on the highway (easily remedied by getting the big engine, to be fair).

And then, the top. Took me like 10 minutes to put up. So we left it permanently off. Oahu has this weird weather where it's constantly sunny and beautiful but then you're hit by short rain showers constantly. The sun never goes away, it's just like someone has a shower head over you and turns it on and off randomly. By the end of the day I felt like I was coming down with the flu from getting alternately drenched and baked. The permanent open top also meant that anything you bring or acquire has to be carried or small enough to fit in the lockable compartment

I know, I'm just not one of those people who "get" Jeeps. There's people who don't "get" my car things either. But I tried hard! Usually I can find something that says, ok this isn't for me but someone who has these specific needs would love this. But not this time

 

GF and I drove a daihatsu terios in costa rica and that was fun as hell. A 2 door 4 passenger car with a bit of height can be a hoot. We legit drove through a river in it. It was insane.

post #25420 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

People who wear dive watches like the Rolex Submariner call them desk divers as they never truly take the watch diving.  There has to be a similar term for modded Wranglers and the like which look like they could conquer the off-road but never get dirty.

Trailer Queen.

 

Borrowed from those perfect cars at shows that never see the road.  I actually enjoy that at some of the shows and competitions these days they make people drive the cars.

post #25421 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post


Saw the NSX up close. I give the new NSX the thumbs down. Looks like an R8 blended with a Civic. No real unique design language.confused.gif

That's a shame. I've never seen the new one in person, but there was so much hype. I wouldn't expect it to look GT-R aggressive, but I guess they went in the other direction of boring.
post #25422 of 26351
He's right. Not only is it totally derivative of the R8, but the new V10 plus puts it to shame aesthetically. At least in my opinion. I got to look at them nearly side by side at the Miami auto show
post #25423 of 26351
At least you guys have less boring cars than mine have been recently. What can I say? Oh it has a 5 star safety rating, cheap insurance, and charges for free off solar? Real panty dropper there.
post #25424 of 26351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

At least you guys have less boring cars than mine have been recently. What can I say? Oh it has a 5 star safety rating, cheap insurance, and charges for free off solar? Real panty dropper there.

I did the math and I'm going to list my miata on cl and look at that turboed car I posted the other day. If the math works out I might go for it. The naturally aspirated build I'd do would cost about the same if not more. Let's see what happens... I do love the idea of a high revving NA build that vader described. Could wring it out without getting arrested too.

His part choice and build seems solid.
post #25425 of 26351
I wouldn't buy someone else's build unless the shop had a sterling reputation and they vouched for the car after I called them
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!