or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1640

post #24586 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

It's seriously one of the things that annoys me about them. Not that I'm a drifter or anything. But it's more cumbersome to use

You can always donate the Macan and GT4 to the ramuman fund I set up a few pages back. It's like George's Human Fund in Seinfeld.
post #24587 of 26371

I'm driving a 2014 991 4S #noshowoff

 

post #24588 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

The parking brake helps for a beginner on hills. That roll back when you take your foot off the brake tends to induce panic and you fuck up the N-1 shift. If the parking brake is engaged it won't roll back...and then once you feel the gear engaging you can start to disengage the handbrake. Doesn't work obviously for these stupid ass modern cars with the electronically actuated parking brake
So I can just put the parking brake up just a click or two to stop or slow the roll back?

Stop on hill.
Clutch in and foot on brake.
Put car in first.
Pull parking brake AND KEEP THUMB ON BRAKE RELEASE.
Ease off parking brake as you start off.

The big problem with starting on a hill is the panic you feel when you roll back. But you're actually not rolling very far.

There are a few lights on hills in Seattle where I'll still use the parking brake when starting out and I've been driving stick shifts forever.
Parallel parking on a hill can be a real bitch too.
post #24589 of 26371
Not bad.welcome. I drive a go-cart.

#Cartswedrive. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

That black on black is damned nice.
post #24590 of 26371
I will say that the hill brake assist feature is pretty clutch, no pun intended.

I've stopped using the parking brake for hill starts. It's harder for sure but I just give it much more gas and let off the clutch much quicker. It's significantly harder on steep inclines.

The worst is when you're stopped on a steep hill and the fucker behind you is right on your ass censored.gif

--

Just dropped off my car for an Inspection I. Think I may need some new motor mounts because the car vibrates a bit when it's idling at 800-900 RPM. Give it a pinch of gas to get to 1k and it goes away.
Edited by GreenFrog - 8/26/16 at 7:27am
post #24591 of 26371

Over/under when GF gets his car back? :crackup:

post #24592 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

Over/under when GF gets his car back? crackup%5B1%5D.gif

Lol. This could turn into another drama. Hard to hate on the gf though. This sounds like a typical fix. A week at worst.
post #24593 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 


Seriously though, when you're starting after a stop especially on a hill, how do you do it?
I was told to let out the clutch a little bit with my foot still on the brake till I felt it start to let out (car idle changes, miata shakes a tiny bit, but you can tell the clutch is almost out), and then move my foot to the accelerator and start giving it gas while letting off the last bit of the clutch to get going. Is that wrong? I've read online that people are taught to use the handbrake at the start but I'm not sure how I'd let that out unless I just left it locked in mildly and disengaged once I was in first.

I should really just go sit on a hill and practice till I get it down. I always start off a bit ugly before re-finding the spot.

I've never used the hand brake.  Although, a friend of mine who is considerably older and used to use the hand break on his previous cars.  He really hates the new electric parking brake in his current car because he can't do that on a hill and he keeps stalling with the stupid hill hold feature.

 

Its generally - for me, foot on clutch & brake.  Car in 1st gear.  Start to ease off the clutch and then move my foot to the accelerator and start to give it a little gas.  Once you know your car pretty well it becomes sort of a fluid motion so it doesn't feel like separate steps.

 

Practice a lot on flat surfaces and once you get used to where the friction point is, you won't need the hand brake anyway.  There is always a bit of learning where it catches with any car you are not accustomed to driving.  

 

It all takes practice.  There was a mall just outside of Boston (the former Atrium Mall in Chestnut Hill) with an indoor underground parking garage.  There was a woman on an old 1980s 911  who was waiting on the steep upward slope for the cars ahead of her to go, but she was afraid of rolling back, and she had the clutch partially engaged and was giving the car enough fuel to hold it in place...the whole first 50 feet of underground garage started to fill with the stench of burning clutch!!!  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

I will say that the hill brake assist feature is pretty clutch, no pun intended.
 

A few of my friends really hate the hill assist feature in some modern cars, because it doesn't come on all the time (depends on the slope of the hill), and they say it makes for an abrupt start.  One of my friends with a modern 991 has stalled out several times with it.  I have to admit I have also stalled at least twice with it engaged.   

post #24594 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I've never used the hand brake.  Although, a friend of mine who is considerably older and used to use the hand break on his previous cars.  He really hates the new electric parking brake in his current car because he can't do that on a hill and he keeps stalling with the stupid hill hold feature.

Its generally - for me, foot on clutch & brake.  Car in 1st gear.  Start to ease off the clutch and then move my foot to the accelerator and start to give it a little gas.  Once you know your car pretty well it becomes sort of a fluid motion so it doesn't feel like separate steps.

It all takes practice.  There was a mall just outside of Boston (the former Atrium Mall in Chestnut Hill) with an indoor underground parking garage.  There was a woman on an old 1980s 911  who was waiting on the steep upward slope for the cars ahead of her to go, but she was afraid of rolling back, and she had the clutch partially engaged and was giving the car enough fuel to hold it in place...the whole first 50 feet of underground garage started to fill with the stench of burning clutch!!!  

I never did the parking hand brake trick on hills either. Just as you say, once you have a feel for how it's done, it becomes automatic (lulz)

This old 3500 dump truck I drove at a college summer job was a pain because it was super heavy, the engine was not very responsive, and other shitty drivers burnt the clutch to shit because they don't know how to do hills so they just ride the clutch like that woman in the 911.
post #24595 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


Lol. This could turn into another drama. Hard to hate on the gf though. This sounds like a typical fix. A week at worst.



Giving GF some hate is how I don't rage quit at work most days.

post #24596 of 26371
GF is Stalking me. I have proof.
post #24597 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

So I can just put the parking brake up just a click or two to stop or slow the roll back?

 

That's the pussy way of doing it.  You need to get embarrassed on campus rolling back and then stalling in front of a crowd of attractive women and get laughed at.  Then do it during rush hour traffic and almost roll back into the car behind you until the driver starts sitting on his horn and you start hyperventilating because the car stalled for the  3rd time and there is now only 1.3 inches between your back bumper and the front bumper of the car behind you

post #24598 of 26371

i've always used the parking brake on steep uphills, in my previous cars i would take it all the way up but keep my thumb on the button. 

 

there's a spot where i go hiking where there's a hairpin turn and then a laughably steep hill with a stop sign at the top. if you get caught in a line of cars there it's as stressful as anything in a manual.

 

current car has hill assist, which remembers the braking pressure that you apply for 2 seconds. in my car it's actually a simple procedure to turn it off completely but once i got used to it i realized how nice it is.

 

btw, my stick has cruise control on it! is this a thing?!

post #24599 of 26371
post #24600 of 26371

HAHAHAHAHA

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!