or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1578

post #23656 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post


Correct.  I believe if you're family with someone who is a member too.  As an example, I believe my in-laws could become members if they wanted.

My cousin's in the army, but I don't think that helps lol.
post #23657 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom153 View Post

It's only the maintenance that is reduced to 3yr/36k. Bumper to bumper warranty is still 4yr/50k. Though they did make the maintenance program shittier by making it non-transferable, and I believe they no longer include brakes anymore.

Thanks for pointing that out.  Yes, you are correct the bumper to bumper warranty stays the same, but things that are no longer covered in the 3/36K maintenance plan are brake pads, brake discs, wiper blade inserts, engine drive belts, and clutches in manual transmission cars.   This link has a chart listing the changes...

 http://www.bmwblog.com/2016/01/07/starting-with-2017-models-bmw-will-reduce-the-no-cost-scheduled-maintenance/ 

post #23658 of 26274

I had free maintenance on my VW and the only thing a car should need in the first 36K is oil so what, 3 oil changes?  Like BMW, my VW needed things in year 4 which sucked.

post #23659 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

I had free maintenance on my VW and the only thing a car should need in the first 36K is oil so what, 3 oil changes?  Like BMW, my VW needed things in year 4 which sucked.

3 free oil changes on my AMG would save me like $1000+. I'm about to get my first oil change in about 1 month so I'm expecting that to be about $200-$250.
post #23660 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

I had free maintenance on my VW and the only thing a car should need in the first 36K is oil so what, 3 oil changes?  Like BMW, my VW needed things in year 4 which sucked.

Had an MB that had 4 year maintenance plan years ago.  There were A and B services every other year (A was about $250 , B service was like $500-600), but then there were expensive things they recommend replacing in year 5 when it wouldn't be covered. 

post #23661 of 26274
I think the biggest loss is the brakes and the transferability. Did not know that they replaced clutches, though I'm sure they try to fight that pretty hard, hah! Of course once you factor in that they are constantly increasing the prices this is an even bigger hit. Still better than what the competition covers, last I checked...
post #23662 of 26274

MB service is out of hand.  I think we are looking at an A service soon which is $450 according to the dealer which is an oil change and inspection which they completed the inspection when I had something fixed not too long ago.

post #23663 of 26274
This thread is headed towards another #brohug
post #23664 of 26274
🍑🍆
post #23665 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

I had free maintenance on my VW and the only thing a car should need in the first 36K is oil so what, 3 oil changes?  Like BMW, my VW needed things in year 4 which sucked.

 

Agreed.  Same with mine.  Though it just felt nice with the lease because then I had zero costs other than the lease payment.  When I went to get a new lease and they got rid of it though, I said screw it.  Let's face it, we're loss adverse.  When you're using to getting something and it goes away, we value the loss higher than if the situation had been reversed.

post #23666 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom153 View Post

I think the biggest loss is the brakes and the transferability. Did not know that they replaced clutches, though I'm sure they try to fight that pretty hard, hah! Of course once you factor in that they are constantly increasing the prices this is an even bigger hit. Still better than what the competition covers, last I checked...

Yes, I imagine they blamed the drivers for clutches and only paid out if they absolutely had to.  The only car company offering longer warranty and complimentary maintenance is Jaguar 5 years/60K miles.  Not sure how comprehensive their maintenance program is...but not really interested in a Jag.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

MB service is out of hand.  I think we are looking at an A service soon which is $450 according to the dealer which is an oil change and inspection which they completed the inspection when I had something fixed not too long ago.

You may want to shop around.  You may think that service prices are the same at all MB dealers, but they are not.  Also, some offer service specials.  Our nearest MB dealer is 1 mile from our home, but we previously went with another MB dealer when a repair was going to be $3K and the dealer that is 30 minutes from us had a 15% off coupon that we could use on that repair.  The dealer closest to us didn't offer and deals and wouldn't honor the other dealers coupon...so for $450 in our own pocket we went elsewhere and they have been really good to us ever since. 

post #23667 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post


The worst service on a car that I have had was with SafeLite Autoglass.  Have had employees leave power tools in the engine bay, fail to rehook up some pieces they detached, and recently on my wife's car put the windshield on without a critical piece so when you pushed on the windshield it clearly moved.

Agreed. Safelite has easily been my worst service experience. Put in a windshield and messed up all the headliner on the A pillars. The windshield was warped. The wipers no longer worked properly. The automatic wiper feature no longer worked. They came to me to fix it, but didn't bring the right parts. I brought it in, they then proceeded to try and charge me more for re-doing it. It was a terrible experience. The good news is that their corporate office was fairly receptive to my complaints.
post #23668 of 26274
I hope the local Volvo stealership get a V90 in soon, so I can make up my mind.
post #23669 of 26274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

 

The worst service on a car that I have had was with SafeLite Autoglass.  Have had employees leave power tools in the engine bay, fail to rehook up some pieces they detached, and recently on my wife's car put the windshield on without a critical piece so when you pushed on the windshield it clearly moved.

see below

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepitm View Post

Agreed. Safelite has easily been my worst service experience. Put in a windshield and messed up all the headliner on the A pillars. The windshield was warped. The wipers no longer worked properly. The automatic wiper feature no longer worked. They came to me to fix it, but didn't bring the right parts. I brought it in, they then proceeded to try and charge me more for re-doing it. It was a terrible experience. The good news is that their corporate office was fairly receptive to my complaints.

Interesting that you both had such bad experiences with Safelite.  Mine was the complete opposite.  Had to replace glass in our Subaru.  Used a big company in the northeast with multiple locations.  First time they used factory glass, but made a mess of the interior and I ended up with condensation inside the car under the glass total pain.  They fixed it but not impressed.  The next time they came to replace glass they went to install some chipped aftermarket junk.  I refused it, the manager called to fight with me and say it was all that was approved by my insurance company, and it was their fault I was getting aftermarket glass and the chips weren't a big deal.  I called my insurance and they said cancel the job, they have no problem paying for factory glass and having someone else do it.  Contacted my dealer who I know subs Safelite, factory glass was installed, everything was put back in place properly, no mess, no condensation inside the glass.  Maybe having the dealer supervise helped...but I was very happy with the work that was done. 

post #23670 of 26274
Bodywork: @GF. I forget where your car was damaged. But to give you shop time examples..
I did my bodyshop training on my $1,000 car. Because it was so out of shape being a former track mule. The front corner was hit and pushed in,
I had it straightened out within 4 hours. Straight used fender on, hammer and putty the Aluminium hood(another 3 hours). And all my panel gaps are exact. 4.5 mm each side of the hood. -one days work. Painting said area would be another morning.

Rear quarter chop and replacement? 3days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!