or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1540

post #23086 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Yeah, after I gave her an estimate, I told her we should go through insurance, which we have.
I get the sense that the repair shop went to the extreme to nickel and dime the insurance company for damages. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual damages totaled to around $2k -- the rest becoming extra profit for them.

Dealing with insurance companies all the time, and having a close friend who is an adjuster... if its not a legit nearly $4k in repairs that can be pointed out to an appraiser, they won't approve the cost/repairs.

 

Where did you end up bringing it?  The 2 best places I've heard of locally for relatively modern high end cars are both in MA.  Carls Collision which handles a lot of the repairs for Viti Mercedes Benz (they have also done repaints on several vintage Ferraris for the owner of the Subie dealer I go to), and Mike's Auto Body, which does a lot of Porsche and exotic cars.  

post #23087 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

it's too bad you can't delete your posts lol8[1].gif

GF didn't you fix this issue with a new speed sensor last time?

Yep. But it's back. Different error codes tho and it seems to only trigger when it's hot as fuck outside.

Not sure what the issue is because I got a genuine oem part and it's a simple plug and play installation. Car has been fine up until it started getting hot out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post

@GF. It's almost never a magical mystery. It can be fixed. Start with checking the circuits for all the inputs. And the earthing points. If it's heat? Search aftermarket methods to lower engine bay heat.

This.. all sounds out of my realm of limited DIY skills tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Dealing with insurance companies all the time, and having a close friend who is an adjuster... if its not a legit nearly $4k in repairs that can be pointed out to an appraiser, they won't approve the cost/repairs.

Where did you end up bringing it?  The 2 best places I've heard of locally for relatively modern high end cars are both in MA.  Carls Collision which handles a lot of the repairs for Viti Mercedes Benz (they have also done repaints on several vintage Ferraris for the owner of the Subie dealer I go to), and Mike's Auto Body, which does a lot of Porsche and exotic cars.  

The insurance company approved it, surprisingly. I took it to Curreri Collision in Johnston, RI. It's the only approved repair shop for MB of Warwick and they do top notch work.

My indie mechanic recommended the place because he sends vintage G Wagens there for reconditioning.
post #23088 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

lol!!!  Yes, I think she would hate your car and kill me if I had a lightweight flywheel installed in one of our cars!  

 

She would really like us to get a G body 911 ( accordion impact bumper equipped car), but I don't have the heart to tell her I think she would hate the floor hinged pedals and what it takes getting used to them.  Oh well, maybe I'll keep that a secret if we ever get close to purchasing one.  

 

Yeah, those pedals will take getting used to! My brother has my old 914-6 conversion and I co-drive it with him at autocross. I put in a 911SC engine/trans so it has a bit more power than the old 4-banger did. I love the sound, (which your wife will too), and she'll also have to get used to the smells of oil leaks on heat exchangers. lol!

post #23089 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

If you like performance in cars, then having an A/T is a pretty silly thing to have since the drivetrain losses are higher. 

 

That doesn't even enter into the equation for me, nor should it for any real driver. It's about driver involvement and control. The ability to control the rev range I want the engine to be in at a given point in time.

Case in point: at my favourite race track, when I'm heading down a hill, I get close to redline as I hit the apex of a turn at a blind crest. My car feels a little unsettled turning while coming over that hill because at 100mph, there is a bit of side-to-side movement coming over that crest. So what I do is short shift while setting up for turn-in and push the gas pedal to the floor. Now the rev range is a bit lower, but I'm accelerating through the turn more and it stabilizes the car. The price for this is the extra two manual shifts I have to do (up and down), but I'm about 0.3 sec faster per lap doing this, with a more stable car.

And damn....it's fun! :cheers:

 

Comparing a manual to a good paddle shifter is a more philosophical issue. A paddle shifter allows the driver the control s/he wants, but removes the driver a little bit because of less involvement. However, the paddle shifter is clearly much faster. So it's speed vs involvement, and that's more personal.

post #23090 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al9146 View Post
 

 

Yeah, those pedals will take getting used to! My brother has my old 914-6 conversion and I co-drive it with him at autocross. I put in a 911SC engine/trans so it has a bit more power than the old 4-banger did. I love the sound, (which your wife will too), and she'll also have to get used to the smells of oil leaks on heat exchangers. lol!

 

this

post #23091 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

The insurance company approved it, surprisingly. I took it to Curreri Collision in Johnston, RI. It's the only approved repair shop for MB of Warwick and they do top notch work.

 

Thanks for the info.  Always good to know of other places in our region that have a good reputation.  I look forward to hearing your opinion of their work, once you have the car back.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al9146 View Post
 

 

Yeah, those pedals will take getting used to! My brother has my old 914-6 conversion and I co-drive it with him at autocross. I put in a 911SC engine/trans so it has a bit more power than the old 4-banger did. I love the sound, (which your wife will too), and she'll also have to get used to the smells of oil leaks on heat exchangers. lol!

That 914 with an 3.0 SC engine must be a blast!   Yea, the floor hinged pedals are a bit awkward to get used to (I drove my dad's 3.2 Carrera and 3.3 930 Turbo several times many years ago).  As for the smell of oil, exhaust fumes (after shut down in the garage) etc and all that goes with older cars...we're both used to it since we have an older Italian car to keep our Cayman S company.  Cheers!  

post #23092 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Yep. But it's back. Different error codes tho and it seems to only trigger when it's hot as fuck outside.

Not sure what the issue is because I got a genuine oem part and it's a simple plug and play installation. Car has been fine up until it started getting hot out.
This.. all sounds out of my realm of limited DIY skills tongue.gif
The insurance company approved it, surprisingly. I took it to Curreri Collision in Johnston, RI. It's the only approved repair shop for MB of Warwick and they do top notch work.

My indie mechanic recommended the place because he sends vintage G Wagens there for reconditioning.

Bmw are notorious for new problems surfacing when you fix one thing, sensors tend to fail in tandem and this is no surprise. It only exposed another problem that surfaced with the repair of one speed sensor.
post #23093 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Bmw are notorious for new problems surfacing when you fix one thing, sensors tend to fail in tandem and this is no surprise. It only exposed another problem that surfaced with the repair of one speed sensor.

Yeah.. I actually get nervous each time I start the car and wonder, "will this be it? will something else happen again?" even though the car hasn't been all THAT bad. That said, it's the least reliable car I've ever had even though it has relatively low miles for the age and great maintenance / service records.

I'm just waiting for something catastrophic to happen. A faulty wheel speed sensor ain't no thang in the grand scheme of things that could go wrong.
post #23094 of 26282
Wait, i had something for this. . .

Oh yes. "German Engineering"
rimshot.gif
post #23095 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Yeah.. I actually get nervous each time I start the car and wonder, "will this be it? will something else happen again?" even though the car hasn't been all THAT bad. That said, it's the least reliable car I've ever had even though it has relatively low miles for the age and great maintenance / service records.

I'm just waiting for something catastrophic to happen. A faulty wheel speed sensor ain't no thang in the grand scheme of things that could go wrong.

My buddy just picked up an e46 m3 since he used to ride in mine over a decade ago and I said "looks like it had a lasting impression on you" and he goes ya. Hope he doesn't do like my other buddy and turn dsc because he knows I always drive with it off and fishtail into a curb.

Can't wait until he starts getting all these surprises on his car lol8[1].gif
post #23096 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post

Wait, i had something for this. . .

Oh yes. "German Engineering"
rimshot.gif


Coming from the country who makes an exciting car once a decade?  

post #23097 of 26282
I don't live in germany Bruh. stirpot.gif


Reality? A plethora of exciting cars. Then nada.
But. . . . . Looking in the wrong places. Plenty of fun out there.
Honda S660, Crown Athlete.
I'll be honest, there isn't a Japanese sportscar in a dealer showroom today i'd buy if you dropped a stack on my breakfast table. But if i chose to buy a car for under $3,000? And made in the 90's? More fun, more reliable than anything else you could buy. No matter how much money you throw at it.
Edited by Thrift Vader - 7/1/16 at 6:12am
post #23098 of 26282
@Thrift Vader just wanna say that even though I don't agree with everything you say or all your opinions, I do appreciate your POV on this thread and the discourse it encourages. Not exactly intellectual discourse, but discourse nonetheless. This thread can be prone to groupthink so it's nice to have a different perspective.
post #23099 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

My buddy just picked up an e46 m3 since he used to ride in mine over a decade ago and I said "looks like it had a lasting impression on you" and he goes ya. Hope he doesn't do like my other buddy and turn dsc because he knows I always drive with it off and fishtail into a curb.

Can't wait until he starts getting all these surprises on his car lol8[1].gif

Oh well, it's all worth it in the end (I say that now because nothing huge has happened). I fucking love the car.
post #23100 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepitm View Post

@Thrift Vader just wanna say that even though I don't agree with everything you say or all your opinions, I do appreciate your POV on this thread and the discourse it encourages. Not exactly intellectual discourse, but discourse nonetheless. This thread can be prone to groupthink so it's nice to have a different perspective.

Thanks man,
I appreciate it. I don't try to come off as intellectual.
I am simply a mechanic. I make a living wrenching. In the heartland of JDM car culture. And i'm proud of that. Not many guys can say they have been paid as a Mechanic, and a painter in Japan. So my point of view is what i see when i look at a car, How much satisfaction can i get from every dollar. And how can i do it cheaper. The discourse is what i enjoy. No matter the point of view.

Again, thanks. Super nice of you to say that.

Carry on gents.
Edited by Thrift Vader - 7/1/16 at 7:50am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!