or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1516

post #22726 of 26994
P.S. I didn't do it.
post #22727 of 26994
Relevant: http://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/05/news/bar-which-personal-injury-lawyer-trips-over-his-porsche-thereby-dents-his-own.html
Quote:
Thus, on days when he is due in court, Mr. Cracken leaves his Rolex at home. He doffs fancy clothes and dons a somber, somewhat ill-fitting suit. And he usually trades off his $40,000 red Porsche 911 to a colleague with less ostentatious wheels, or rents the kind of generic late-model American-made vehicle, respectable but dull, that congregates like a herd of hippopotamuses in the watering holes of Hertz or Avis.

It is a changeover he can make convincingly. Mr. Cracken is a slight man with a vaguely Ivy League look; someone who recently saw him in court likened him to Pee Wee Herman, better suited to a red Columbia two-wheeler than a red Porsche.

In personal injury practice, a family's calamity is a lawyer's bonanza, and in Martinez v. Rock-Tenn Company that appeared truer than ever. Representing the widow of a Salvadoran mangled by a baling machine, and facing a defense hobbled by court sanctions, Mr. Cracken was understandably eager to get to court when the case got under way in January. He left his house early enough to make it by 7:30 A.M. -- early enough to beat the jurors and so, he figured, early enough to take his Porsche.

But when he drove into the courthouse parking garage, he found himself in a flock of jurors. "They flanked me on the right and left and behind me," he recalled. "It was amazing." With a trial lawyer's instincts, Mr. Cracken ducked down toward the glove compartment and began fumbling among its contents until the jurors had passed.

But he'd been spotted, and nothing -- not even the 1988 Buick Regal he used afterward -- could undo the indelible. Waiting for the elevator, three jurors discussed what they'd just seen. One of them, Narween (Narky) Blackwell, recalled what one of her colleagues vowed: "There was no way I'm going to buy that lawyer another fancy car."

If you're suing someone, you don't want your lawyer rolling up in a fuck you car.
post #22728 of 26994
I figured that had to be an old article if they were talking about $40K Porsches. happy.gif
post #22729 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

That's why I said defense lawyer - if you're on trial for your life, you want a shark pulling up in that car, and you're willing to pay the money to get him on your side

I think that is largely the caricature of an attorney that people sometimes think they want.  I'm an attorney, and when we go to court we want jurors to like us and be able to identify with us.  Chances are the average guy driving a 12 year old pick up truck isn't going to like or identify with what he perceives to be a slickster/shark driving a $100K plus car, wearing a $20K watch, and a $7,500 suit.  Many of the best attorneys maintain a very plain appearance in the office and in court.   If they have nice stuff it gets used at home or on weekends/vacation.  

 

Just my experience in up here, but your mileage may vary. :cheers:

post #22730 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post

I figured that had to be an old article if they were talking about $40K Porsches. happy.gif

Old but but much of it still holds true today!

post #22731 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Old but but much of it still holds true today!

Oh, I believe it! I don't litigate but it seems like most of my litigator friends have their "everyday" court outfits. I'm glad to be able to wear whatever I want.
post #22732 of 26994

Every now and then I get an itch to look up 1990s Land Cruisers and see if anyone is selling theirs stock, <200K miles, for a decent price in the area.  Well yesterday one pops up, no pictures and at a random dealer an hour away for a steal.  I didn't call yesterday because I didn't know how serious I was about buying a car on a whim but today I called and it had already sold.  The guy said yesterday it would have been mine but today he had 20 calls by 11am.

 

Oh well shit happens.

post #22733 of 26994
Better call Saul
post #22734 of 26994
Always a good idea to wait a day (or a week) in those situations. Else you'll have this fleet of cars sitting outside your house one day and you're all....whaaaa?
post #22735 of 26994

Nicked my tire while reversing out of a tight curb spot yesterday. Sidewall got a small piece of rubber ripped out. It's actually small and I can't see cords. No bulges or bubbles etc.

Safe?

Was going to have the front/rear wheels swapped because the car's pulling to the right after an alignment, slash also having the shop redo the alignment because the wheels/tires are balanced and I'd expect . What say you? I'm putting rubber cement over the nick to give it a bit of protection there with the thought that it'll be easier to see a bubble there.

post #22736 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Nicked my tire while reversing out of a tight curb spot yesterday. Sidewall got a small piece of rubber ripped out. It's actually small and I can't see cords. No bulges or bubbles etc.


Safe?


Was going to have the front/rear wheels swapped because the car's pulling to the right after an alignment, slash also having the shop redo the alignment because the wheels/tires are balanced and I'd expect . What say you? I'm putting rubber cement over the nick to give it a bit of protection there with the thought that it'll be easier to see a bubble there.

Unless you see anything that's a structural part of the sidewall, you should be fine. The rubber cement will come off within 50 miles, I wouldn't even bother. Modern tires rarely fail so suddenly that you'd be in danger anyway, even if you're tracking the car.

Pics would help a bit.

Alignment/swap is up to you.
post #22737 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


Unless you see anything that's a structural part of the sidewall, you should be fine. The rubber cement will come off within 50 miles, I wouldn't even bother. Modern tires rarely fail so suddenly that you'd be in danger anyway, even if you're tracking the car.

Pics would help a bit.

Alignment/swap is up to you.

 

It's not structural. I poked my fingernail around in there and didn't feel any sort of cord or such. Pic.

 

 

 

Car's tracking to the right after I got an alignment done, which is why I want to go back and have it redone. The guy claims that it's the tires leading to the issue, which I think is BS since the wheels were balanced. If it's a camber issue, he should be able to account for a bit. I'd expect shaking if there were any issues with balancing. There's no issue with that, the car just wants to go right a bit. Steering wheel goes off center too, which is a tell for alignment given the little that I know.

 

I painted the wheels before they were put on the car and I'm going to have to sand and redo part of it over the next couple of days. Totally my mistake for trying to fix a spot when it was cool out. I guess I can live with the fact that it'll never be perfect, but will still look a billion times better than what was on there before for the pittance I paid for them!

 

Rash looks worse because it took off my rattle can paint and clear job.

post #22738 of 26994

That damage won't do anything to the tire.  You're fine.

post #22739 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

Every now and then I get an itch to look up 1990s Land Cruisers and see if anyone is selling theirs stock, <200K miles, for a decent price in the area.  Well yesterday one pops up, no pictures and at a random dealer an hour away for a steal.  I didn't call yesterday because I didn't know how serious I was about buying a car on a whim but today I called and it had already sold.  The guy said yesterday it would have been mine but today he had 20 calls by 11am.

 

Oh well shit happens.

I this is how it went when I was hunting down a 4runner, I must have missed 3 or 4 that went to folks that put down a deposit without seeing the truck.

post #22740 of 26994
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post
 

Every now and then I get an itch to look up 1990s Land Cruisers and see if anyone is selling theirs stock, <200K miles, for a decent price in the area.  Well yesterday one pops up, no pictures and at a random dealer an hour away for a steal.  I didn't call yesterday because I didn't know how serious I was about buying a car on a whim but today I called and it had already sold.  The guy said yesterday it would have been mine but today he had 20 calls by 11am.

 

Oh well shit happens.

it was like that chasing down my 4runner. I must have been late to call on 3 or 4 before I got mine and most of them went to folks who put a deposit down over the phone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!