or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1408

post #21106 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

That's a cool helmet. I'm looking to finally get my motorcycle license this summer but one of my key concerns is how helmets will fuck up your hair.

/vanity

 

Take the course. I'm signed up for one at the end of the month. Rode a bit last summer and honestly should have done it before then.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


I'd be more concerned with how motorcycles will fuck up your ability to walk. 

 

Like I've mentioned earlier, my life would be way nicer if drivers didn't willfully choose to ignore motorcyclists and cyclists on the road.

post #21107 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Take the course. I'm signed up for one at the end of the month. Rode a bit last summer and honestly should have done it before then.


Like I've mentioned earlier, my life would be way nicer if drivers didn't willfully choose to ignore motorcyclists and cyclists on the road.

Drivers tend to willfully ignore other cars as well. However, when the momentum delta is 50k Newton seconds - the car will win - by a lot. I ride my bicycle a fair amount, but I also don't ride it in a lane on PCH. The same with motorcycles - if someone lane splits, then you're admitting the standard rules don't apply to you, even if it is legal.

I don't have a problem with cyclists or motorcyclists. I ride my bicycle on back trails. The thing is, you know what you're signing up for.

I sure as hell don't expect myself to win at about 75 kg between my bicycle and myself against a 2000 kg SUV. The onus is on me to be careful at that point. The whole motorcycle/bicycle sob story is pathetic.
post #21108 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post


Drivers tend to willfully ignore other cars as well. However, when the momentum delta is 50k Newton seconds - the car will win - by a lot. I ride my bicycle a fair amount, but I also don't ride it in a lane on PCH. The same with motorcycles - if someone lane splits, then you're admitting the standard rules don't apply to you, even if it is legal.

I don't have a problem with cyclists or motorcyclists. I ride my bicycle on back trails. The thing is, you know what you're signing up for.

I sure as hell don't expect myself to win at about 75-80kg between my bicycle and myself against a 2000 kg SUV. The onus is on me to be careful at that point. The whole motorcycle/bicycle sob story is pathetic.

 

I'm not sure what you're calling a sob story exactly. Most of my close calls on the bicycle or motorcycle have been because someone was just not looking where they were supposed to or thought they could beat me at a turn when I was driving at the posted limit. The idea that drivers aren't guilty of negligence is pretty pathetic as well. This isn't about 'winning' it's about being a predictable driver/rider and following the rules of the road. I'm way more of a defensive rider than I am a defensive driver. And I'm VERY defensive when I drive.


I'm not talking about lane splitting as it's illegal where I live, nor am I talking about motorcyclists driving like idiots. In the latter case, yeah, if you pull a bonehead move... you get hurt and at times you get hurt bad. It makes defensive driving and road awareness far more important. You're also less likely to be playing with your phone, changing the radio station, or brushing your teeth/hair on the way to work if you're riding a bike than if you're behind the wheel of a car.

 

If lane splitting is legal, then apparently drivers should be looking out for it because it's the law. How can you claim standard rules don't apply if the rules were in the book.

 

There's a difference between being taken out on a bicycle/motorcycle by someone that isn't paying attention and because you're doing something stupid. I've been right hooked by cars when I was just trying to get to work on my bicycle because someone was too busy to give an indicator or look at a mirror before turning right into a bike lane. Apparently our society refuses to penalize ignorance though.


As you were.

post #21109 of 26289
I do have some sympathy for the above argument, since I do see plenty of law abiding, safe motorcyclists (none of them seem to ride sport bikes though, just being honest). And dumb fuck car and truck drivers terrify me enough in my 3200 lb car that I can imagine how much worse it is for them.

The lane splitting, race baiting, wheelie popping morons can go eat a dick, though. Or sip on their puréed dick smoothie from their wired up jaws
post #21110 of 26289
Simple answer - if I ride a fucking 75 kg unprotected bicycle/rider combo or 250 kg motorcycle, I don't bitch if I have to share the road with a 2000 kg Cayenne. They are public roads driven/ridden by people that don't pay attention. Also, lane splitting shouldn't exist.

I look out for motorcyclists and cyclists, but the laws of physics tend to win 10 out of 10 times.
post #21111 of 26289
As I've said for 25 years: the fittest, strongest, baddest assed MMA mother fucker on a bike/motorcycle loses the argument against a 90 year old, 110# grandma in a 2 ton Buick every single time.
post #21112 of 26289
My humble apologies for scaring the thread with my use of SI units. It's unusual coming from an American, but don't be alarmed.
post #21113 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

My humble apologies for scaring the thread with my use of SI units. It's unusual coming from an American, but don't be alarmed.

I'm gonna have to head to my safe space for a while. BBL.
post #21114 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

My humble apologies for scaring the thread with my use of SI units. It's unusual coming from an American, but don't be alarmed.

IT'S LIKE BEING BACK IN CANADA! MAKE IT STOP! JABRONI!
post #21115 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

IT'S LIKE BEING BACK IN CANADA! MAKE IT STOP! JABRONI!

If it makes you feel any better, my hockey stick is a right handed Bauer. nod[1].gif
post #21116 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

If it makes you feel any better, my hockey stick is a right handed Bauer. nod[1].gif

Quoteless Joe Sakic curve as well - so you can sleep well tonight - granted he shot left handed and used Easton.
post #21117 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Simple answer - if I ride a fucking 75 kg unprotected bicycle/rider combo or 250 kg motorcycle, I don't bitch if I have to share the road with a 2000 kg Cayenne. They are public roads driven/ridden by people that don't pay attention. Also, lane splitting shouldn't exist.

I look out for motorcyclists and cyclists, but the laws of physics tend to win 10 out of 10 times.

 

Yeah, I completely agree. My comments are to 'law abiding' cyclists/motorcyclists. I don't bitch about having to share the road, my issue is with inattentive drivers that do as much harm to people like me as they do pedestrians etc.

 

It happens to drivers as well. 


I guess my point is just that when I'm on two wheels, my biggest fear isn't my own judgement because it's impossible to compensate for stupid when it's controlling 2000 Kg. 

I think similarly of motorcyclists that pull wheelies and bonehead moves on the road and drivers that drag race.

I think we all see relatively eye to eye on this. So... back to GF and his car repairs.

post #21118 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Yeah, I completely agree. My comments are to 'law abiding' cyclists/motorcyclists. I don't bitch about having to share the road, my issue is with inattentive drivers that do as much harm to people like me as they do pedestrians etc.

It happens to drivers as well. 


I guess my point is just that when I'm on two wheels, my biggest fear isn't my own judgement because it's impossible to compensate for stupid when it's controlling 2000 Kg. 


I think similarly of motorcyclists that pull wheelies and bonehead moves on the road and drivers that drag race.


I think we all see relatively eye to eye on this. So... back to GF and his car repairs.

I agree - I didn't mean to come across harshly.

Also, GF is well beyond wheel sensor repairs and approaching motorcycles.
post #21119 of 26289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

 

There's a difference between being taken out on a bicycle/motorcycle by someone that isn't paying attention and because you're doing something stupid. 

No, actually there isn't a difference.  Either way the guy/girl on motorcycle or bicycle ends up in the hospital or worse. 

 

If you are actually in Massachusetts, be sure to buy the most medical payment coverage they will allow you to buy for a motorcycle.  If they will let you get underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage get that too.  You would be amazed how many injured motorcycle riders we deal with who have $50K-70K in medical bills and the person they got hit by has a minimal policy and has no assets (FYI a motorcyclist's motorcycle insurance policy generally does not provide any coverage for injury to its own rider, and neither does the motorcyclist's auto policy if they have a car).  Needless to say, the $20K in minimal coverage the auto driver has doesn't go very far towards paying medical bills or compensating someone with $50K plus in med bills.  Good luck and ride carefully. 

post #21120 of 26289

Apparently we have a new renter at a nearby triplex.  A young asian guy with an older BMW 328i with a ricer can on it.  Makes me think of GF.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

No, actually there isn't a difference.  Either way the guy/girl on motorcycle or bicycle ends up in the hospital or worse. 

 


Agree.  I ride with the mentality of I don't care if I'm right or wrong: I'm still going to be on the wrong end of that accident.  If someone just moves over into my lane or turns into me or whatever, it doesn't matter if I was doing everything right.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!