or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1400

post #20986 of 26372
Dat personality
post #20987 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

Ownership cost indeed can depend on driving style, but then your point I think reinforces my own. It's like you're more enabled to drive harder with a Japanese car because it's easy/cheap to fix, where you're disincentivized to push a German car. I often wonder if German cars would be better served if the average owner drove them harder. The Italian tune-up and all that. Otherwise you're right about the demographic. Young people drive more aggressively and cheap cars, usually Japanese, are more accessible.

Well, I think it goes beyond cheap/easy to fix.  With age comes perspective, responsibility, and appreciation for the value of your car and your life.  In my work I see a lot of auto accidents many of them involving younger guys driving tuned vehicles.  Maybe its just a matter of more of them out there, or maybe the the lower value of of the car combined with them having no fear when it comes to their own safety or that of others, which causes them to cross that line between aggressive and reckless.  

 

I know guys that drive Porsches quite hard (and when circumstances allow for it they give them "Italian tune ups"), but they won't jeopardize their safety, that of others, or their cars.  While the young guys in tuned cars will do some really insane/dangerous things just to prove how fast they are or to show off for a girlfriend.  I've had plenty of guys in tuned cars want to race, or do crazy things to catch up with me on the highway, and if they catch up to me I usually move to a different lane and try to create as much distance between their vehicle and mine, so I can be as far from them as possible when they pull their next stupid maneuver.  Maybe if they had cars that they cared more about or which were not so easy to replace, they wouldn't risk their cars or lives as often as they do. 

post #20988 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

I bet your car is the highlight of your dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I work with what I can.
Now you know why he moved to SoCal
post #20989 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

Well, I think it goes beyond cheap/easy to fix.  With age comes perspective, responsibility, and appreciation for the value of your car and your life.  In my work I see a lot of auto accidents many of them involving younger guys driving tuned vehicles.  Maybe its just a matter of more of them out there, or maybe the the lower value of of the car combined with them having no fear when it comes to their own safety or that of others, which causes them to cross that line between aggressive and reckless.  

I know guys that drive Porsches quite hard (and when circumstances allow for it they give them "Italian tune ups"), but they won't jeopardize their safety, that of others, or their cars.  While the young guys in tuned cars will do some really insane/dangerous things just to prove how fast they are or to show off for a girlfriend.  I've had plenty of guys in tuned cars want to race, or do crazy things to catch up with me on the highway, and if they catch up to me I usually move to a different lane and try to create as much distance between their vehicle and mine, so I can be as far from them as possible when they pull their next stupid maneuver.  Maybe if they had cars that they cared more about or which were not so easy to replace, they wouldn't risk their cars or lives as often as they do. 
Over here it's sports bikes that want to race down the tollway. That is definitely something I want no part of. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that every motorcycle street racing incident is going to be a fatality
post #20990 of 26372
50% death 50% veggie
post #20991 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Over here it's sports bikes that want to race down the tollway. That is definitely something I want no part of. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that every motorcycle street racing incident is going to be a fatality

I think it is a bit bifurcated - a douche will be a douche. I pulled up next to a Ducati 959 this past weekend and the guy was super nice and we ended up talking in a parking lot because we ended up at the same brunch spot.

I don't street race because there's no point.
post #20992 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I think it is a bit bifurcated - a douche will be a douche. I pulled up next to a Ducati 959 this past weekend and the guy was super nice and we ended up talking in a parking lot because we ended up at the same brunch spot.

I don't street race because there's no point.


1. Duc owners only race to and from Starbucks;
2. Duc owners have usually gotten the street racing bug out of their system 2 Japanese bikes ago;
3. The 959 Pani is too new to have many miles and is pqrobably still in the rev limited breakin period


Signed

Future Duc Owner
post #20993 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post


Over here it's sports bikes that want to race down the tollway. That is definitely something I want no part of. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that every motorcycle street racing incident is going to be a fatality

Yes we have the "Donor-cycle" idiots too.  Dumbest ones I've ever seen were a group of four sport bikes.  It was 10 pm and 2 of them popped wheelies riding down a 3 lane highway at 70 mph well over a mile on just their back wheels, while the guys on the bike next to them riding normally, were providing light from their headlamps so they could see what was ahead of them.  All it would taken was an opossum or other animal to run out in the road and the "Wheelie guys" would be lucky to be riding around in wheelchairs rather than hearses.   

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

50% death 50% veggie

I heard a comedian years ago who said, they give all these super bikes cool names like the Hurricane and the Ninja.  They should just name them after what they do, the "Decapitator," and the "Quadriplegic."  

post #20994 of 26372

Tennessee has a far higher proportion of bro-trucks to tuner cars than I saw while living in Ohio.  I actually see more GTRs than tuner cars around here but it may have to do with the Nissan NA headquarters being located here.

 

It is 10x more annoying for a bro-truck to have an LED light bar blinding you in normal driving conditions than it ever was to have a tuner car rev its fart can.

post #20995 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post

1. Duc owners only race to and from Starbucks;
2. Duc owners have usually gotten the street racing bug out of their system 2 Japanese bikes ago;
3. The 959 Pani is too new to have many miles and is pqrobably still in the rev limited breakin period


Signed

Future Duc Owner

He was a mid 40s Dr. Pretty sure he just wanted an excuse to get away from the Mrs. Absolutely gorgeous.
post #20996 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

I heard a comedian years ago who said, they give all these super bikes cool names like the Hurricane and the Ninja.  They should just name them after what they do, the "Decapitator," and the "Quadriplegic."  

 

This is slightly ironic because a lot of motorcycle accidents are caused by inattentive car drivers.

Yeah, a fair share of the gixxah brahs are straight up idiots, but drivers have a pretty shit track record with motorcycles and bicycles. 

 

On that note, a buddy was riding his R6 today down the street and a dude in a straight piped mustang wanted to race him from a light in a 30 mph commercial city street. Buddy knew there were two cops hiding out a block ahead and so he gunned it for a split second before slowing down the second he was ahead of the car. 5 seconds later two cops blew by and pulled the guy over.

 

Sweet sweet justice.

post #20997 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I heard a comedian years ago who said, they give all these super bikes cool names like the Hurricane and the Ninja.  They should just name them after what they do, the "Decapitator," and the "Quadriplegic."  



0:20-1:20.
post #20998 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Japanese plants do not have unions > all union plants.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

A a guy I know who owns runs an independent Ferrari service shop (and has worked on them for 40+ years), bought a Cadillac CTS V wagon for a daily driver and he loves it.  

 

As for German vs. Japanese I will also say that ownership costs for both can be drastically affected based on driving style.  If you are redlining your car everywhere you go (or maybe doing burnouts, drag racing, jamming on the brakes, drifting etc) you will definitely go through tires, brakes, and possibly other parts much sooner than I would, in a German car as I don't redline my car everywhere I go.  To be honest, I often see younger guys in "Tuner" Japanese cars driving far more aggressively or drag racing in the city.  I see guys driving German cars on highways exceeding the speed limit, but they generally aren't driving as aggressively in the city.  Maybe some of it is also an age/maturity thing as most guys driving BMWs, Porsches, MBs in my area tend to be a bit older than the "Tuner" guys.   

 

As for people buying into a brand...yes that happens with some people.  However, much of what influences people is the overall driving experience . Sometimes I see people focusing solely on 0-60, 1/4 mile times, skid pad etc.  One can look at the numbers, however cars can also have intangible qualities and provide different experiences even when numbers are close.  I can remember reading years ago that Porsche's 959 was so perfect that some journalist thought it bordered being so perfect is was almost boring. While the Ferrari F40 which certainly didn't have the same build quality or comfort was found by many to be more far more fun to drive.  

so, what you are trying to say is... when i lose my marbles due to age. i will buy a poorly built, overly expensive car because the other gents in the bingo hall have one?

 

you really have no idea what a "Tuner" is. real tuners invest their money, their effort, and their dreams into their cars. no fart cans, no zip ties, no gimmicks. just for the pure obsession that compels them. @horndog and i could talk smack about racing eachother. but can both agree our cars make you grey haired folks reach for the slow mo button.

 

And Ferrari? have a build quality on par with Hyuindai. if they are one of the better ones.

Quote

Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
 

Well, I think it goes beyond cheap/easy to fix.  With age comes perspective, responsibility, and appreciation for the value of your car and your life.  In my work I see a lot of auto accidents many of them involving younger guys driving tuned vehicles.  Maybe its just a matter of more of them out there, or maybe the the lower value of of the car combined with them having no fear when it comes to their own safety or that of others, which causes them to cross that line between aggressive and reckless.  

 

I know guys that drive Porsches quite hard (and when circumstances allow for it they give them "Italian tune ups"), but they won't jeopardize their safety, that of others, or their cars.  While the young guys in tuned cars will do some really insane/dangerous things just to prove how fast they are or to show off for a girlfriend.  I've had plenty of guys in tuned cars want to race, or do crazy things to catch up with me on the highway, and if they catch up to me I usually move to a different lane and try to create as much distance between their vehicle and mine, so I can be as far from them as possible when they pull their next stupid maneuver.  Maybe if they had cars that they cared more about or which were not so easy to replace, they wouldn't risk their cars or lives as often as they do. 

 

 

 

post #20999 of 26372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

 

This is slightly ironic because a lot of motorcycle accidents are caused by inattentive car drivers.

Not really ironic at all.  By definition, most accidents are the result of negligence on the part of one or more drivers/riders.  You ride a motorcycle that provides no protection at all (compared to a car that has a safety cell, seatbelt, and air bags), and whether its the rider's fault, that of another another motor vehicle, or an unexpected slick surface, and the motorcycle guy loses every time his body strikes a solid object.   When two cars are involved in an accident, both drivers stand a reasonably good chance of walking away with minor injuries if they are wearing seatbelts.  

 

Several years ago, a friend driving an Audi A4 on a 3 lane highway had her front end struck by the back end of a huge SUV, who cut her off because the other driver realized at the last minute he was going to miss his exit.  The impact forced her car off the road and she crashed into some of those barrels that are filled with water near exits.  Her front end was completely crushed, all air bags deployed, and she was wearing her seatbelt.  Her car was totaled, but she walked away with a bruise on her collar bone from the seat belt.  Oh, and the the theory some people have that the bigger the vehicle, the safer it is...complete nonsense.  The way the back corner of the SUV hit my friends car, combined with the higher center of gravity of the SUV, caused the lift up and roll over.  Its driver (who wasn't wearing a seatbelt) was killed and several of his passengers who were not wearing seatbelts were injured.  

 

I will say, that in the many years I've been involved with accident cases, most times when the motorcycle guy is not at fault, and he survives, he was usually a much older, more experienced rider on a bike designed for cruising, rather than a young guy on a sport bike/super bike. 

post #21000 of 26372
What Dino said makes perfect sense. I'd like to think I'm a decent driver - I've only been in one at-fault accident in my life and that happened in our HS parking lot when I was 17. With lane splitting, showing off and a million other things, it actually makes it hard to drive around a motorcycle at times in a car. Some pun intended, it is a two-way street.

I could immediately tell the person on the 959 was experienced (well having one first of all is a giveaway). He didn't show off, drove within his lane and just wanted to get to the brunch spot. Meeting him afterwards, it became more obvious. However, it's hard to have respect when seemingly every other 600RR or R6 or insert other sport bike is riding like a dick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!