or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1399

post #20971 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

I don't understand this at all. What's your criteria?

If I plunk down money, it should be worth it. Fairly straight forward.
post #20972 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

I tend to agree with you on most things, but brand loyalty trumping cognitive dissonance is a fairly well documented thing. I was always taught that as a brand, you build loyalty not because people will love you, but because when you fuck up, your customers forgive you instead of defect. I'd be shocked to find a Genuine Human (tm) who approaches any major purchase/lease as a 100% logical decision.

Not that the above in any way undermines your choice or value structure, it would simply be unwise to assert that your perception of the brand has zero impact on your choice. You may ignore your perception more than most, but your relationship with the brand has some impact.

That's a very reasonable position and you're probably correct even in this case. I did already know what to expect with the brand, and was completely displeased with the experience of shopping the Caddie, so it might have coloured my opinion.

I'd still seriously love to jump ship just because I'm still pissed about the engine.
post #20973 of 26272

I have shown no brand loyalty over my car ownership history.  It went Nissan>Volkswagen>Acura>Mazda>Volkswagen>Subaru.  The Volkswagen while same brand were different cars for different reasons.  I am very brand loyal in other aspects of my life but cars tend to not be the case.

 

I have unfairly overlooked American brands but during the 2000s, a lot of the cars were shit.  At the time I could afford a Focus ZX-3 or a Chevy Cobalt but I wasn't going to plunk down my money for either of those so I went used and Japanese.

 

I think the first test I have with a car is, does it look good and honestly a lot of American cars do not pass that test.

post #20974 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Just read the motor trend comparison where the Camaro beat the M4. I haven't driven any of the new Camaros, but I did think that the critiques of the M4 were true. Interesting too how the Camaro was in a dead heat with the M4 in all instrumented tests except braking (Camaro won that one)

Finished reading the article. Take home points were that the M4 was faster, and come on, which car would you rather take a woman on a date if you're older than 30?
post #20975 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I'm pretty cynical and might think, overall, the only great American car company is Tesla. I will admit, having been in them, the CTS-V, C7, and the 6th gen Mustang are pretty nice cars. With the Mustang in particular, I had a great dealership experience in spite of them knowing I wasn't in the market for one.

I wouldn't rule America out based on prior stereotypes.

A a guy I know who owns runs an independent Ferrari service shop (and has worked on them for 40+ years), bought a Cadillac CTS V wagon for a daily driver and he loves it.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

Just getting caught up on this thread and will say that (1) peace of mind/wallet and (2) the Japanese car culture is what makes me buy Japanese performance cars over their German counterpart.  Maybe if I were willing to spend more on things I'd rather not spend on (maintenance), I'd consider a German car. A Cayman GT4 is by far my attainable dreamcar right now...Redlining my Supra and FR-S around town without worrying about it is much more important to me.
 ultimately I think what people buy into is a brand, ideal, an ethos, that reflects their values. German, jap, american, british, etc., pick your flag.

As for German vs. Japanese I will also say that ownership costs for both can be drastically affected based on driving style.  If you are redlining your car everywhere you go (or maybe doing burnouts, drag racing, jamming on the brakes, drifting etc) you will definitely go through tires, brakes, and possibly other parts much sooner than I would, in a German car as I don't redline my car everywhere I go.  To be honest, I often see younger guys in "Tuner" Japanese cars driving far more aggressively or drag racing in the city.  I see guys driving German cars on highways exceeding the speed limit, but they generally aren't driving as aggressively in the city.  Maybe some of it is also an age/maturity thing as most guys driving BMWs, Porsches, MBs in my area tend to be a bit older than the "Tuner" guys.   

 

As for people buying into a brand...yes that happens with some people.  However, much of what influences people is the overall driving experience . Sometimes I see people focusing solely on 0-60, 1/4 mile times, skid pad etc.  One can look at the numbers, however cars can also have intangible qualities and provide different experiences even when numbers are close.  I can remember reading years ago that Porsche's 959 was so perfect that some journalist thought it bordered being so perfect is was almost boring. While the Ferrari F40 which certainly didn't have the same build quality or comfort was found by many to be more far more fun to drive.  

post #20976 of 26272
Love the grammar:
Quote:
It’s time for BMW to either rethink or reclaim ye olde Ultimate Driving Machine. Times done changed.
post #20977 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Finished reading the article. Take home points were that the M4 was faster, and come on, which car would you rather take a woman on a date if you're older than 30?

The Camaro.
post #20978 of 26272
Horndog, please stop saying 'Jap'
post #20979 of 26272
I'll replace it with JDM.
post #20980 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

A a guy I know who owns runs an independent Ferrari service shop (and has worked on them for 40+ years), bought a Cadillac CTS V wagon for a daily driver and he loves it.  

As for German vs. Japanese I will also say that ownership costs for both can be drastically affected based on driving style.  If you are redlining your car everywhere you go (or maybe doing burnouts, drag racing, jamming on the brakes, drifting etc) you will definitely go through tires, brakes, and possibly other parts much sooner than I would, in a German car as I don't redline my car everywhere I go.  To be honest, I often see younger guys in "Tuner" Japanese cars driving far more aggressively or drag racing in the city.  I see guys driving German cars on highways exceeding the speed limit, but they generally aren't driving as aggressively in the city.  Maybe some of it is also an age/maturity thing as most guys driving BMWs, Porsches, MBs in my area tend to be a bit older than the "Tuner" guys.   

As for people buying into a brand...yes that happens with some people.  However, much of what influences people is the overall driving experience . Sometimes I see people focusing solely on 0-60, 1/4 mile times, skid pad etc.  One can look at the numbers, however cars can also have intangible qualities and provide different experiences even when numbers are close.  I can remember reading years ago that Porsche's 959 was so perfect that some journalist thought it bordered being so perfect is was almost boring. While the Ferrari F40 which certainly didn't have the same build quality or comfort was found by many to be more far more fun to drive.  

Ownership cost indeed can depend on driving style, but then your point I think reinforces my own. It's like you're more enabled to drive harder with a Japanese car because it's easy/cheap to fix, where you're disincentivized to push a German car. I often wonder if German cars would be better served if the average owner drove them harder. The Italian tune-up and all that. Otherwise you're right about the demographic. Young people drive more aggressively and cheap cars, usually Japanese, are more accessible.

Agreed on the second point. The 959/F40 comparo is like the GTR/* comparo.
post #20981 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

The Camaro.

I'm sure you're 22.
post #20982 of 26272
Probably a regional thing but in my area the marques driven by the most douches are BMW, Audi, Nissan and Hyundai (?? Dunno why but they are all Sonatas)

And Prius too but they are douches for a different reason than aggressive driving
post #20983 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I'm sure you're 22.

I bet your car is the highlight of your dates.
post #20984 of 26272
Dat spacious back seat doeee
post #20985 of 26272
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

I bet your car is the highlight of your dates.

I work with what I can.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!