or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1396

post #20926 of 26371
I have to say the, "You don't even own your car...you lease it!" always makes me laugh. I own exactly the part of the car's life I want to own, in the most financially advantageous way to limit risk and cost, and people continue to fail to understand the financial tool I use to do it is just that, a tool. If there's ever a vehicle that I want to own for an indefinite time I'll of course buy it, but until then, dat leasing for me.
post #20927 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

I have to say the, "You don't even own your car...you lease it!" always makes me laugh. I own exactly the part of the car's life I want to own, in the most financially advantageous way to limit risk and cost, and people continue to fail to understand the financial tool I use to do it is just that, a tool. If there's ever a vehicle that I want to own for an indefinite time I'll of course buy it, but until then, dat leasing for me.


not to mention that at the end of the lease, you have the right to purchase it anyway.

post #20928 of 26371
Every single person that rips on leasing, but doesn't have this on hand is delusional:



I also happily lease my M4. My parents financed their first home on my 10th birthday and my dad, in his always nice way, told me the bank owns this house until we pay it off - they did 9 years later and I came back home from college when mom and dad picked up the tittle.
post #20929 of 26371
Don't H8. There are advantages to both. Our 545i was nearly totalled but the insurance company fixed it. Following we had all sorts of residual repair issues. I wished it had been leased so we could have walked away from it.
Edited by pravda - 3/6/16 at 12:02pm
post #20930 of 26371
I owned my 2007 Toyota Camry until late 2015. Holding a car that long was worth owning even though the reliability sucked on it. I had to get the engine replaced twice for eating oil. Great Japanese reliability right there for plain boring car.
post #20931 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post

I owned my 2007 Toyota Camry until late 2015. Holding a car that long was worth owning even though the reliability sucked on it. I had to get the engine replaced twice for eating oil. Great Japanese reliability right there for plain boring car.

 

There's got to be more to this. I drove a 92 camry through college and the engine died at like 180k miles at which point we found one at a junkyard and it was going again for ~600 bucks or so. Then it got totaled.

 

After having had a subaru for a bit, even with all the issues I've had to deal with given its age, I can't see myself driving a camry/elantra/etc again. I drove my housemates camry and my gf's elantra for a bit and I just hated how the car felt on the road. The steering feel was awful. And their cars are just a couple of years old.

post #20932 of 26371
It was the 4 cylinder model that had a known issue of eating oil that wasn't disclosed. Engine crapped out at around 90k miles which I had to cover 60% while the dealer covered the other 40%. Did the same thing again about a year later after another 20k miles. This time the dealer covered it since the engine was under warranty again.
post #20933 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post

It was the 4 cylinder model that had a known issue of eating oil that wasn't disclosed. Engine crapped out at around 90k miles which I had to cover 60% while the dealer covered the other 40%. Did the same thing again about a year later after another 20k miles. This time the dealer covered it since the engine was under warranty again.

 

Damn daniel.

post #20934 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

Every single person that rips on leasing, but doesn't have this on hand is delusional:



I also happily lease my M4. My parents financed their first home on my 10th birthday and my dad, in his always nice way, told me the bank owns this house until we pay it off - they did 9 years later and I came back home from college when mom and dad picked up the tittle.

 

I don't rip on leasing and I don't have the title in hand for my Subaru but we made the financial decision that having cash on hand was worth the 0.9% interest or what equates to a total of ~$400 interest over the 5 year life of the loan.  If there ever came a day where we had to pay the car off we could but you can't borrow cash for 0.9% if you were in a crunch.

post #20935 of 26371
I did the exact opposite and took the 0.9% because I figured it was free money. It worked out for me because the money that would have been for a cash payment instead went into an investment that returned double digit % gains.

In both our cases it appears to have worked out successfully and just goes to show how there is never any "best" way to own a car
post #20936 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

I did the exact opposite and took the 0.9% because I figured it was free money. It worked out for me because the money that would have been for a cash payment instead went into an investment that returned double digit % gains.

In both our cases it appears to have worked out successfully and just goes to show how there is never any "best" way to own a car

What kind of investment? Equities? Or a business venture?
post #20937 of 26371
Equities - tech and pharma. The pharma part was shit but AAPL and GOOG carried the day
post #20938 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Equities - tech and pharma. The pharma part was shit but AAPL and GOOG carried the day

AAPL? What time period we talking bout cause AAPL's been in the doghouse since 2015.

I would know.

😭😭😭
post #20939 of 26371
Well my w210 just died in the middle of the street which was nice. I have roadside on speed dial. Pretty sure it's the crank sensor.

My god German cars are such shit. I think I will have to get the manual GT3 when it comes out though at this point I'm a bit infatuated with the 911r but that car is made of unobtanium and price is just ludicrous.
post #20940 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravda View Post

I've had my share of problems with my Lexus Ls 400 as well. Before I sold it, it needed a transmission. It was serviced impeccably and the dealer was shocked. I still think Lexus reliability is generally supreme, but these are all machines, manufactured by humans. The only difference I see between German and Japanese is Japanese can handle higher mileage.

 

It depends. I see tons of 80s era BMWs and Mercs being used as daily drivers.  Ditto with Toyota and Honda.  Audi and Mitsubishi?  Not so much

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!