or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1395

post #20911 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmade View Post


It's missing DatZHP.


must be in the shop.

post #20912 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post


must be in the shop.

He should've drove a JDM car. Then he wouldn't have to worry about his car being in the shop.
post #20913 of 26360
Nice cars, but yeah - no JDM, no care. Also, if you don't work on those cars yourself, nothing you post matters anyway
post #20914 of 26360
Audi is supposedly expanding the model line and may include the RS6. I don't have nearly the money but I don't know that I could choose between that and the Sport Turismo
post #20915 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The 240Z is fine...but nothing I want to own.  The Kozmo is ok, again nothing I'd want to own.

 

Sorry the others you mentioned, make me laugh and again I have no interest in owning them.   I see a ton of goofy modded ones owned by 20 somethings who race each other in the local Taco Bell parking lot.  

 

The Toyota 2000 is the only one you mentioned that I wouldn't mind owning...but at that kind of money, or less, there are many other cars I'd rather own.  My cousin and uncle owned a 280Z and a 1st Gen RX7...again nothing I'd want to own.  The Subaru Brats were funny...haven't seen or thought of those in years. 

 

PDK is simply fantastic if you have to go semi-automatic.  However, this is a car I'd definitely choose a manual for.  There is simply a greater level of involvement and fun.  

 

well, i wouldn't want to own a Ferrari. or a recent Lamborghini. but it doesn't force me to dismiss some of them as design icons. which many of the early Tuner cars undoubtedly are. the mk3 Supra is an icon that is becoming harder to find in "survivor" condition. as is the 1st gen RX7. amongst the many, many cars favored by JDM enthusiasts. some stand tall as true icons.-as much for aesthetic reasons as real world performance. a small part of the community, like myself, seek to preserve the original styling while freshening them up to meet modern times.

so far from being a car snob. i can see merit, and enjoyment in 90% of cars. but have a preferred era and obsession.  when you see these young lads destroying their cars. remember that when they mature, they will have the money to buy the dream cars of their youth, and will mod them respectfully. creating a market for cars entering the scene as "Classics".

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post


The recent trend in the thread to talk about modded Japanese cars...

Modded?  the money is in them stock. with Hakouska skylines selling for $250k at auction, and Kenmeri's selling way over 50k in concourse condition.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Nice cars, but yeah - no JDM, no care. Also, if you don't work on those cars yourself, nothing you post matters anyway

far from it. some of us see guys like you as customers. so no hate here.

post #20916 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post
 

 

My cousin's first car was his father's '78 280z so I've spent a lot of time puttering around in that.  The 280zx was just too front heavy and that threw the handling off IMHO and the 300zx was was huge compared to the earlier cars.

 

Their next door neighbour's son (he was older) had a red 2000GT...and his best friend had a red one as well.  I didn't know what it was back then but I liked it.

 

One of my good friends brought a 1st gen RX-7 back from Japan when he got out of the Marines, right hand drive and all.  That thing drank gas but if you kept it in the sweet spot it was unstoppable.  Handled like it was on rails.  The 2nd gen (aka Porsche 944 wannabe) was shite but everyone loved the turbo charged "mini-batmobile" 3rd gen.

 

The 2 seater Turbo MR2 was a very nice car that handled well.  

 

Every now and then I see the same guy with a clean Supra turbo on the road and it always turns my head.  It is spotless.  Funny thing is I didn't really care for Supras when they were still in production

 

You can't knock an FJ Landcruiser.  There is a sparking clean one running around DC.  Clearly the owner doesn't go 4wheeling in it

 

The BRAT?  I was fascinated by the Tamiya R/C car as a kid  laugh2-smiley.gif?1292867631

 

 

Besides I thought El Caminos were cool so how couldn't I like it?  Hell I came within hours of buying a red Isuzu Amigo and a matching  red Suzuki Katana.

A girl I was friendly with in high school had a 300ZX, and another had a 2nd gen RX7, neither were anything special.  As for the 3rd gen RX-7 good bang for the buck, but I always thought they were ugly and I had no interest in owning one.

 

The MR2 Turbo of 90s meh... nothing special. 

 

The Supra Turbo good bang for the buck, but back then there were plenty of other car's I'd have preferred to own.  

 

The FJ Landcruiser...A friend's parents had one in the early 80s when they weren't collectible and no one cared about them. While I admire any older vehicle that is well kept (because I know how much effort it is required to keep older cars looking like new), they are of no interest to me.   

 

I loved Tamiya R/C cars as a kid!!!  I built a few when I was a teenager.

 

Glad to hear you didn't buy an Isuzu Amigo!  One of my college friends had a Katana, but I was never a bike guy.

post #20917 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Vader View Post
 

well, i wouldn't want to own a Ferrari. or a recent Lamborghini. but it doesn't force me to dismiss some of them as design icons. which many of the early Tuner cars undoubtedly are. the mk3 Supra is an icon that is becoming harder to find in "survivor" condition. as is the 1st gen RX7. amongst the many, many cars favored by JDM enthusiasts. some stand tall as true icons.-as much for aesthetic reasons as real world performance. a small part of the community, like myself, seek to preserve the original styling while freshening them up to meet modern times.  so far from being a car snob. i can see merit, and enjoyment in 90% of cars. but have a preferred era and obsession.  when you see these young lads destroying their cars. remember that when they mature, they will have the money to buy the dream cars of their youth, and will mod them respectfully. creating a market for cars entering the scene as "Classics".

If Japanese cars are your thing, great.  For me Japanese cars provide good, inexpensive, transportation.  The last two we put over 200,000 miles on before getting rid of them and moving on to a 3rd.  While I can admire a clean, original well maintained 240Z or RX7, its mostly because I know the amount of work required to keep an original car looking like new. I've simply never been excited about Japanese sports cars.  I've driven and ridden in a few and they don't do anything for me.  I realize there are icons in the Japanese sports car market, but there are other cars I'd rather drive or own.  As for young guys ruining their cars to race in parking lots...I have doubts about them doing anything tasteful to vehicles in the future.  In many circumstances, I've seen them grow up, make more money, buy more expensive cars to mod and turn them into higher priced goofy looking junk. But its their money if and they are having fun that's what matters.  

post #20918 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino944 View Post

I loved Tamiya R/C cars as a kid!!!  I built a few when I was a teenager.

Glad to hear you didn't buy an Isuzu Amigo!  One of my college friends had a Katana, but I was never a bike guy.

Tamiya cars weren't the quickest but they were the best looking. Offhand I remember the Grasshopper, Hornet, the Frog (loved that one) and the Big Wig

The manual locking hubs soured the Amigo for me. Can you imagine getting out and locking each front wheel every time you wanted to use 4Wd? I bought a Wrangler instead. And I'm glad I passed on the Kan-o-tuna as well. It was the biking world's equivalent to the Pontiac Aztec. Lol
Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 3/6/16 at 9:09am
post #20919 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelstiltskin View Post


Tamiya cars weren't the quickest but they were the best looking. Offhand I remember the Grasshopper, Hornet, the Frog (loved that one) and the Big Wig

The manual locking hubs soured the Amigo for me. Can you imagine getting out and locking each front wheel every time you wanted to use 4Wd? I bought a Wrangler instead. And I'm glad I passed on the Kan-o-tuna as well. Lol

Yes, I remember the Tamiya Grasshopper, Hornet and the Countach.  A friend also had the Tamiya RC rally version Porsche 959 and a tank.  

 

Yea, I wouldn't want to have to get out to manually lock the front hubs whenever I wanted 4WD.  Sounds like you chose a better route.  Cheers!  

post #20920 of 26360
Start your own thread nerds.
post #20921 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Nice cars, but yeah - no JDM, no care. Also, if you don't work on those cars yourself, nothing you post matters anyway

seems like people in this thread cannot tolerate a healthy difference of opinion
post #20922 of 26360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

seems like people in this thread cannot tolerate a healthy difference of opinion

nod[1].gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

what i intended to say is there appears to be more money in this thread than an actual enthusiasm for performance, hinted at by the fact nobody seems to be able to actually work on the cars they own.

nevermind they don't even own them, they are leasing.
post #20923 of 26360
Difference of opinions are fine. I actually agree with you that Japanese reliability and cost of ownership are better. And if I think a car is good I'll say so even if it is Japanese. But you come in here with a chip on your shoulder and some kind of complex and start throwing around these judgements and you'll be mocked:

1. No one should ever buy a German car
2. People who lease are somehow inferior
3. People who don't work on cars with their own hands are not true enthusiasts

If you want to check this bullshit inferiority complex at the door, we can have a good conversation about cars. You'll find people here own cars of all types and there can be quality conversations about not just performance or exotic/aspirational vehicles, but for all types of car owners
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

i intended to say is there appears to be more money in this thread than an actual enthusiasm for performance, hinted at by the fact nobody seems to be able to actually work on the cars they own.

nevermind they don't even own them, they are leasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

yea, luxury, when your windows won't even go down because their motor failed

again

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

it's interesting you of all people would make this point because you lease new vehicles, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

but seeing as how people here are struggling to change a sensor i understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

this thread is good incentive to stay away from German cars, forever
post #20924 of 26360
Beat me to it Piob wink.gif
post #20925 of 26360
I've had my share of problems with my Lexus Ls 400 as well. Before I sold it, it needed a transmission. It was serviced impeccably and the dealer was shocked. I still think Lexus reliability is generally supreme, but these are all machines, manufactured by humans. The only difference I see between German and Japanese is Japanese can handle higher mileage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!