or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1390

post #20836 of 26333
Sounds about right oem Porsche wheels go for 5-7k on the bay, plus tires and mounting 10k sounds right.

I had my seats stolen once and a second hand S3 interior was 4,5k a new one was 12k.
post #20837 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

Actually I take that back. Your friend may have gotten shafted. My bill works out to $2500 for a 20' wheel, tire and tpms.

Keep in mind, different wheels have different prices.  His alloy wasn't the stock 18" Cayman alloy, it was an extra cost optional 19" alloy from a 997 Turbo (which in its day was the most expensive alloy they offered in 2012).  I have optional extra cost 20" Carrera S wheels (which were the lightest they offer) on my Cayman S and I think his Turbo alloy wheels still cost more.  Cheers!  

post #20838 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Do the wheel and tire warranties cover curb rash and shit like that that's your fault?

 

My warranty says anything caused by a "road hazard' is covered but at the end there is a little bullet that says it covers cosmetic wheel damage.  I have the newer oddly brushed surface and painted 18" wheels they offer:

 

post #20839 of 26333
this thread is good incentive to stay away from German cars, forever
post #20840 of 26333
They're more like mistresses. You have to pay to play.
post #20841 of 26333

play? play what? 4k repairs for a car driven for 5,000 miles is absurd

 

any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that

post #20842 of 26333
They're selling like hot cakes so ...
post #20843 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

play? play what? 4k repairs for a car driven for 5,000 miles is absurd

any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that

It's not that bad. You know that you are going to replace water pump/thermostat every 65k-ish miles. No timing belts to change, VANOS issues usually pop up around 150k miles or so. Random coil issues every 40k-ish miles but you can get those from Amazon for about 30 bucks each.

The key is finding an indie mechanic once your car is off warranty
post #20844 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post


any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that

Tell that to the Nissan GTR guys who used the launch control to blow their transmission.
post #20845 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

this thread is good incentive to stay away from German cars, forever

A buddy of mine refuses to keep a german car once it's out of warranty, can't say that I blame him. I've had my alternator go out twice, hvac panel replaced, vanos solenoid malfunction. exhaust hangers repeatedly break, door seals falling off, dsc module gone bad, coils gone bad three times, rearview auto dim fail, sub-frame issues, diff gone bad, window switch stop working, xenon bulbs burn out, guibo fall apart, etc. Of course he also drives one of the last manual gallardos now on the weekends.
post #20846 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

A buddy of mine refuses to keep a german car once it's out of warranty, can't say that I blame him. I've had my alternator go out twice, hvac panel replaced, vanos solenoid malfunction. exhaust hangers repeatedly break, door seals falling off, dsc module gone bad, coils gone bad three times, rearview auto dim fail, sub-frame issues, diff gone bad, window switch stop working, xenon bulbs burn out, guibo fall apart, etc. Of course he also drives one of the last manual gallardos now on the weekends.

Dang. How many miles on the M?
post #20847 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong View Post

play? play what? 4k repairs for a car driven for 5,000 miles is absurd

any japanese performance vehicle can take a wailing on the track, drag strip, or anywhere you select and cost a fraction of that
Yeah, but you have to drive a Japanese car, so there's that drawback
post #20848 of 26333
All this happened from 10k to 80k. Theres about 160 on it now.
post #20849 of 26333
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

All this happened from 10k to 80k. Theres about 160 on it now.

I'd almost assume that risk for the 80k miles if there wasn't anything terrible in between.
post #20850 of 26333
American cars are more reliable than Germans ones. But I don't see any of us lining up at the Lincoln dealership Lol.

Let's face it. I love my German cars. And I love my Japanese makes, just for different reasons.

For instance, when I'm running around town on business or just doing home repairs, I don't need to rock an $80,000 ride. But when I am dressed worthy of this forum and want to look good in my personal time, the German cars do it for me.

My dad used to tell us that a man looks better in an old Mercedes or BMW than a new one because of the way the old car has been maintained.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!