or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1367

post #20491 of 26282
Scanner isn't going to tell you shit. It's going to give you a few codes which can mean anything under the dsc umbrella of codes. It won't give you a code that says your dsc module is bad.

They are basically used to interpret and then determine which part is faulty that is causing the dme to throw the codes. It's usually a multitude of codes as well.

If I recall correctly the modules were about 6-700 back in the day, probably more now.
post #20492 of 26282

@GreenFrog if it makes you feel any better, I'm probably looking at a new head gasket for my scooby. Womp.

post #20493 of 26282
Dat bumper to bumper warranty.
post #20494 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Scanner isn't going to tell you shit. It's going to give you a few codes which can mean anything under the dsc umbrella of codes. It won't give you a code that says your dsc module is bad.

They are basically used to interpret and then determine which part is faulty that is causing the dme to throw the codes. It's usually a multitude of codes as well.

If I recall correctly the modules were about 6-700 back in the day, probably more now.

Right. But like you said, it'll throw a combo of codes you can use to make an educated guess for what's wrong.

If I don't get any wheel speed sensors or shit like that and only DSC related codes, then, well, we know what's most likely wrong.

I want to rule out everything first.

Plus, I can use it to reprogram my car for things like auto locking the door and small, useful shit like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

@GreenFrog
 if it makes you feel any better, I'm probably looking at a new head gasket for my scooby. Womp.

Solidarity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Dat bumper to bumper warranty.

Silence, Leasebaire. The adults with real cars are discussing.
post #20495 of 26282
Is anyone else a little giddy at the thought of this being a major expense?
post #20496 of 26282
That's actually pretty fucked up if you really hope I get hit with a huge bill.

Lost some respect points.

😒
post #20497 of 26282
I'm more amused at the mental image of GF trying to self diagnose and repair his car
post #20498 of 26282
Well, it's not like I'm an adult or anything like that in your view...
post #20499 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

I'm more amused at the mental image of GF trying to self diagnose and repair his car

Lol I am too. Kinda nervous. But I do want to be more hands on with my car. I know I can do it if I have the right DIY guides and tools.

I just need to stop being so lazy and spend a weekend getting my hands dirty.
post #20500 of 26282

Its almost as though this entire scenario played out exactly as others predicted - what an entertaining adventure for us all.


Seriously though GF, for your sake, I hope it isn't too bad, but I'm putting over/under at $1000.

post #20501 of 26282
Will probably cost around 750-1000.
post #20502 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post


Lol I am too. Kinda nervous. But I do want to be more hands on with my car. I know I can do it if I have the right DIY guides and tools.

I just need to stop being so lazy and spend a weekend getting my hands dirty.

Fast forward to 2024.

Presenter: In this episode we are going to rebuild GF's M3. So GF how long has it been sitting and what happened?
GF: It has been sitting since February '16, where it had a minor fault, which I decided to fix myself.
P: Hmm... So why is blocked up with the engine sitting on the floor?
post #20503 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Lol I am too. Kinda nervous. But I do want to be more hands on with my car. I know I can do it if I have the right DIY guides and tools.

I just need to stop being so lazy and spend a weekend getting my hands dirty.

Never seen you write anything about doing stuff yourself, so would start with changing the filters and oil, then brake pads etc.
NOT with a repair, especially one that isn't diagnosed first.
post #20504 of 26282
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencycle View Post

I thignk it comes all down to ride height. I had a marketing professor who said the same thing and asked the women of the MBA class, and it was almost unanimous they drove SUVs primarily due to ride height.

They're the most likely buyer of a wagon or hatch to use as the family car, do it makes sense that hatches and wagons aren't more popular. That and I think there is a cultural status thing with SUVs which is why vans have fallen out of favor.

 

All very good points.

post #20505 of 26282

Looks like the coolant in the scooby was running low. Explains the heating up fast bit. I'd told the garage that changed the oil to check fluids, but apparently they couldn't be bothered to do so. I'd yell at them about it but I doubt they'd give a shit.


That said, with the coolant topped off, it was running way better. Still doesn't explain why it had dropped, so I guess the leak needs to be addressed, but hopefully it's not leaking around the head gasket.

Subaru had a 'fix' for the phase 2 SOHC engines which was to use coolant with an additive (rad weld?), but a mechanic I trust at home hates that stuff because he thinks that it clogs up older cars that might have some build up anyway. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but subaru recommends it. I guess I'd have to have it done at the dealer if I wanted to cover my ass about it? It would suck to have other stuff blow for a reason as dumb as that.

 

In any event, my dad drove up and swapped cars with me today since he had a day off so it'll get looked at and worked on while I'm taking finals next week and then I can go home and go grab it when I'm done in 2 weeks or whatnot.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!