or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1360

post #20386 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

My fantasy car in HS was the MR2 Turbo. Bought that fucker right after graduating college.

Well, the Ferrari F355 was the other one. Still mulling over that one

i got my evo as soon as i got my first raise

still waiting on the $$ for a gt-r
post #20387 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

I should probably go in for a test drive of an X and/or an S before I cash in my deposit but can't justify the time suck.

... I'm actually amazed how many people I know or see in these parts that have Model S's for the cool factor and not because they need a large family sedan or drive a lot.

I agree with most of your points. I'd also say that not all of us do it for the cool factor - my mistake in saying that. Many Tesla owners come from engineering and startup backgrounds and just like being part of the experience. I've railed on the fit and finish before.

It's not perfect and I wish the guy that runs the company - starts with an Elon or something - would focus on less obsession with how to optimize regenerative braking when it becomes sub-optimal on an induction motor's rotor geometry below 4 km/h. But that obsession to detail is what created the first fundamentally revolutionary car(s) and form of personal transportation in decades.

None of Testa's 3 cars are for everyone, and currently, they're not meant to be. I don't get why internet armchair reviewers even try to compare cars they've never had for even an hour against other cars they haven't had for an hour.
Edited by ramuman - 2/13/16 at 7:11pm
post #20388 of 26336
If money wasn't an object, I'd drive a Tesla for sure. There are a lot in our area- very sleek looking cars. Drove in one of the "fast" versions of the S. Spectacular.
post #20389 of 26336
You're one of the few people I know that actually think Tesla's look sleek.
post #20390 of 26336

Yeah. I don't love em; don't hate em. Just meh to me.

post #20391 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post
 

Yeah. I don't love em; don't hate em. Just meh to me.


+1

post #20392 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

The SUV is more like 110-120k nicely optioned, no? I know the "Signature series" was over 130k.

I suppose it depends on what you consider to be nicely optioned. If you need the extra range or speed from the 90 models, it is hard to do under $100k. I think i could get something for $80k (taking into account the $10k fed + state tax credits available to CA residents) which would be just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post

I agree with most of your points. I'd also say that not all of us do it for the cool factor - my mistake in saying that. Many Tesla owners come from engineering and startup backgrounds and just like being part of the experience. I've railed on the fit and finish before.

It's not perfect and I wish the guy that runs the company - starts with an Elon or something - would focus on less obsession with how to optimize regenerative braking when it becomes sub-optimal on an induction motor's rotor geometry below 4 km/h. But that obsession to detail is what created the first fundamentally revolutionary car(s) and form of personal transportation in decades.

None of Testa's 3 cars are for everyone, and currently, they're not meant to be. I don't get why internet armchair reviewers even try to compare cars they've never had for even an hour against other cars they haven't had for an hour.

Agree with you here but I would broaden it to say that it's not necessarily startups but tech companies in general and there is some geographical overlay there as well. It's clearly the IT car to have right now in the Bay Area (and I don't mean information technology). There is a vocal fanbase of early adopters but there are plenty of bread and butter people with the mean to buy cars in that price range who are passing over the traditional nameplates. Most of that is because of the product but certainly some of it is for other reasons. I know finance people, lawyers and other non-tech types who love their Teslas but don't know induction from inductive reasoning.

I'm really excited to see what the 3 looks like and of course to see how they evolve into a higher volume manufacturer. As you point out the fit and finish is quite boutique-hand you can only get away with that for so long. I'm also wondering if they will stay with the Porsche level option pricing when the 3 comes out or if they will lower prices across the board. Hard to justify those prices on a car with a $35k base but I don't see charging wildly different prices for the same options on different models. Maybe they can pull it off though.
post #20393 of 26336
Tesla reminds me of Texas Instruments calculators back in the day.
post #20394 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobochobo View Post

20160117_175507_zpsj2lwoj17.jpg

What do we think about painted trims?
post #20395 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by pravda View Post

Tesla reminds me of Texas Instruments calculators back in the day.

I had a HP 48GX and a TI-92 shog[1].gif
post #20396 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

... I know finance people, lawyers and other non-tech types who love their Teslas but don't know induction from inductive reasoning.

...

That really sucks. Thank you, I'm here all week.
post #20397 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by chobochobo View Post

What do we think about painted trims?
If you are talking about blacking out the exterior chrome bits, I think that always looks better on a black car. I don't know why automakers still insist on putting chrome trims on cars...they should have gone the way of the landau top
post #20398 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

If you are talking about blacking out the exterior chrome bits, I think that always looks better on a black car. I don't know why automakers still insist on putting chrome trims on cars...they should have gone the way of the landau top

Shadowline ftw
post #20399 of 26336
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

If you are talking about blacking out the exterior chrome bits, I think that always looks better on a black car. I don't know why automakers still insist on putting chrome trims on cars...they should have gone the way of the landau top

It really depends on the car and the color.
post #20400 of 26336
Can't think of a single car and/or color that would look better with chrome trim. I think it's supposed to be 'classy' but just comes off as gaudy to me. But i guess most people don't mind it
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!