or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1271

post #19051 of 26371
No personal experience with a car max extended warranty but I do remember starting a discussion about it. It seems well priced but I haven't bought a car from them so I haven't had a chance to try it
post #19052 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

No personal experience with a car max extended warranty but I do remember starting a discussion about it. It seems well priced but I haven't bought a car from them so I haven't had a chance to try it


I thought you were the one who posted the article about how there are great ways to take advantage of it - essentially their exotic cars are way under priced.

post #19053 of 26371

On Jalopnik, Doug Demuro discusses his purchase of a 6 year old Range Rover and the Carmax extended warranty.  It is really a bumper to bumper warranty with a $50 deposit and the work can be done at a brands dealership.  Carmax has since raised the price and shortened the duration of the warranty which is based on the price of the car.  Previously it was a good deal but now it is almost a gamble as to if it is worth it.  General repairs and maintenance aren't included but big things are.  If the car you are looking at has a history of major issues, then the warranty could be wise.

post #19054 of 26371
Got it. Sounds like there was some pricing arbitrage that made the carmax warranties work.

BC - I really like Mazda 3s but they are comparatively bad for car seats. We live in SF so heated seats are nice (have them on our BMW) but far from necessary, except perhaps when we go to Tahoe which would never happen with this car.
post #19055 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

Got it. Sounds like there was some pricing arbitrage that made the carmax warranties work.

BC - I really like Mazda 3s but they are comparatively bad for car seats. We live in SF so heated seats are nice (have them on our BMW) but far from necessary, except perhaps when we go to Tahoe which would never happen with this car.

 

Fair enough.  I feel your pain on this because we looked at a lot of hatchbacks and wagons, and there just aren't that many inexpensive, good options out there.

post #19056 of 26371
UnFacconabrah, have you considered a CPO Golf?

Gotta go used. It's the best value prop.
post #19057 of 26371
I probably should look at CPO Golfs. Looks like we can get a 2012 with decent mileage for $13k. Those old base Golfs have the garbage 2.5l which is much less attractive than the new 1.8 that's 50% more powerful and more fuel efficient as well.

We test drive Ford Focus sedan and Mazda 3 hatch yesterday. Mazda 3 sedan is a better fit for us because the back seat is a little bigger, the trunk is noticeably bigger and the blind spots are smaller. The packaging on the hatch back makes it noticeably less practical. It was okay to drive but didn't really stand out. Every car we've driven has been competent and apart from the GTI nothing has stood out.

My wife is starting to come around to the idea of possibly standing pat with what we own now and have the nanny drive my old SUV and my wife drive the BMW when she has to drive to work (perhaps 50-75 days a year). That would be my preferred approach because less work for me. Selling the SUV is a non starter because it's worth nothing to anyone else but has some value to me for a variety of lifestyle and other reasons.

It's hard to get excited about basic transport for our occasional use. We drove a family member's manual boxster s for much of the weekend - that would be the fun choice for us if we throw practicality out the window.
post #19058 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

I probably should look at CPO Golfs. Looks like we can get a 2012 with decent mileage for $13k. Those old base Golfs have the garbage 2.5l which is much less attractive than the new 1.8 that's 50% more powerful and more fuel efficient as well.
So they say. stirpot.gif

Speaking of Golfs, has anyone tried the R? I don't especially need the speed, but AWD could be a nice thing to have in the snow. Now that they come with automatics, they could be used by anyone in the family (even me).
post #19059 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordia View Post


So they say. stirpot.gif

Speaking of Golfs, has anyone tried the R? I don't especially need the speed, but AWD could be a nice thing to have in the snow. Now that they come with automatics, they could be used by anyone in the family (even me).


The R is nice until you realize you spent $40K on a golf.  The $23K I spent on my GTI is a bargain in comparison.

post #19060 of 26371
Everyone I know who have owned a golf R right back from the mk IV R32, has loved it.

You can get passat in Germany with the same engine.
post #19061 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnFacconable View Post

I probably should look at CPO Golfs. Looks like we can get a 2012 with decent mileage for $13k. Those old base Golfs have the garbage 2.5l which is much less attractive than the new 1.8 that's 50% more powerful and more fuel efficient as well.

We test drive Ford Focus sedan and Mazda 3 hatch yesterday. Mazda 3 sedan is a better fit for us because the back seat is a little bigger, the trunk is noticeably bigger and the blind spots are smaller. The packaging on the hatch back makes it noticeably less practical. It was okay to drive but didn't really stand out. Every car we've driven has been competent and apart from the GTI nothing has stood out.

My wife is starting to come around to the idea of possibly standing pat with what we own now and have the nanny drive my old SUV and my wife drive the BMW when she has to drive to work (perhaps 50-75 days a year). That would be my preferred approach because less work for me. Selling the SUV is a non starter because it's worth nothing to anyone else but has some value to me for a variety of lifestyle and other reasons.

It's hard to get excited about basic transport for our occasional use. We drove a family member's manual boxster s for much of the weekend - that would be the fun choice for us if we throw practicality out the window.

 

The other option might be a small SUV.  My wife liked the Buick Encore, which can be had for <$200/mo with nothing down for the base model.  I know it is definitely not a SF approved car, but it didn't seem bad.  It was quiet and comfortable.  Fuel efficient should be good, consumer reports rated it well for predicted reliability, and the backseat could do two car seats no problem - used are pretty pricey because they are only three years old.

post #19062 of 26371

Any Jeep fans? I need a new 4WD truck that can handle city, snow and rough roads. Nothing too tricked out - prefer basic.

 

Was considering an older FJ60, but may be out of my element there.

 

Wrangler seems to fit the bill. The Renegade seems too millennial and that song is driving me crazy.

 

lefty

post #19063 of 26371
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

Any Jeep fans? I need a new 4WD truck that can handle city, snow and rough roads. Nothing too tricked out - prefer basic.

Was considering an older FJ60, but may be out of my element there.

Wrangler seems to fit the bill. The Renegade seems too millennial and that song is driving me crazy.

lefty

We have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. It's the Sahara model, not the Rubicon. It has been a good car for us and is actually pretty good on road trips (from CA to UT). We have kept it stock so far and it's still a pretty capable vehicle off-road.
post #19064 of 26371
I had a wrangler and enjoyed it.
post #19065 of 26371

Wrangler UL is basically a longer wheelbase and a 4 door? I may not need something that large.

 

Anything to look out for when buying new or used? Sites that give a good rundown?

 

Thanks,

lefty 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!