or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 1267

post #18991 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

So speaking of BMW repair costs...

I noted a few weeks ago a minor accident I was in - woman backed into me in a parking lot. Damaged the front passenger bumper, quarter panel and rim. Estimate for repair was about $1300 and about a week's worth of time. Was supposed to have it back last Friday but it failed alignment, needs a new strut, potentially a new knuckle (IDK what that is) and some other suspension component (which alone is in the $2200 range). the other driver's insurance has accepted 100% liability, but damn if it isn't nuts how that stuff was hidden. It even seemed to be driving all right.



The worst part is that they rented me a stripped ford focus.

just picked it up - repaired well. total was about $4500
post #18992 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

just picked it up - repaired well. total was about $4500

You're American, right? You should sue the lady for diminished value. It's the only way.
post #18993 of 26291
Damn right I'm an American.

Already told her insurance I want diminished value.

May have to go after them for intentional infliction of emotional distress because I had to drive a focus for 2 weeks.
post #18994 of 26291
Lmao not sure if srs
post #18995 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post

Damn right I'm an American.

Already told her insurance I want diminished value.

May have to go after them for intentional infliction of emotional distress because I had to drive a focus for 2 weeks.

 

They would have upgraded the car if you had made some noise

post #18996 of 26291
I got stuck with a Mazda 3 for two weeks once and an X1 for one week another time.

I still cant decide which was more awful.
post #18997 of 26291
Was looking at my geico coverage again and I found out why the premium was so cheap. The fuckers never tacked on the collision coverage I wanted. NO COLLISION COVERAGE.

The fuck?! Adding it back in gets me back close to where I was with Liberty Mutual. Deceptive fucks, this pisses me off.

I knew it was too good to be true.
post #18998 of 26291

When you only have insurance on 1 thing, it makes it more expensive.  Do you have renters insurance?  I remember when I moved to Nashville, my auto insurance was like $128 a month but when I added renters insurance, my total policy went down to like $115 per month.  I have no clue why.  Anyway, once I got married, bought a house, and some other bullshit, my car is only $80 per month for top of the line coverage.  Something about you need maximum auto insurance to then add an umbrella policy.  

 

Oh and I carried renters insurance on the old place once I moved in with my wife before we got married.  

post #18999 of 26291
Home insurance, health/accident insurance?
post #19000 of 26291
Insurance companies probably just assume no sane person wants collision on a car that old. They're not BMW fanbois and don't know how "rare" that car is.
post #19001 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarwick View Post

When you only have insurance on 1 thing, it makes it more expensive.  Do you have renters insurance?  I remember when I moved to Nashville, my auto insurance was like $128 a month but when I added renters insurance, my total policy went down to like $115 per month.  I have no clue why.  Anyway, once I got married, bought a house, and some other bullshit, my car is only $80 per month for top of the line coverage.  Something about you need maximum auto insurance to then add an umbrella policy.  

Oh and I carried renters insurance on the old place once I moved in with my wife before we got married.  

They def give you bundle discounts for having multiple policies, but the quote I got for renters was absurdly high. That said, despite the discount, the total out of pocket cost for both should be higher than just having auto alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find Finn View Post

Home insurance, health/accident insurance?

Health insurance is through work. I left my renters insurance with Liberty Mutual.
post #19002 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Insurance companies probably just assume no sane person wants collision on a car that old. They're not BMW fanbois and don't know how "rare" that car is.

Hella rare brah. Projected appreciation into the six figgiez by 2020 (conservatively).
post #19003 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Was looking at my geico coverage again and I found out why the premium was so cheap. The fuckers never tacked on the collision coverage I wanted. NO COLLISION COVERAGE.

The fuck?! Adding it back in gets me back close to where I was with Liberty Mutual. Deceptive fucks, this pisses me off.

I knew it was too good to be true.

 

Check out Dairyland and USAA (if you have anyone that can get you qualified)


Edited by Rumpelstiltskin - 10/31/15 at 3:23pm
post #19004 of 26291
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReveller View Post

Hella rare brah. Projected appreciation into the six figgiez by 2020 (conservatively).

happy.gif

I actually wasn't kidding though. I would not be surprised in the least if not automatically including collision on a car > 10 years old is the norm. Most folks driving aged cars are doing so for economic reasons and probably are pinching pennies for basic insurance coverage.
post #19005 of 26291
Yeah, collision really doesn't make sense at that level because you're not going to actually file an insurance claim to fix up your beater and then suffer the increased premiums. I still have comprehensive on my old car because it's only like $80 per year but even that is likely throwing good money after bad since the car is worth less than $5k.

Went and looked at cars today with the family. We may need two new cars and want to replace the X1 with something that's a bit larger. The X1 is our primary family car but is mostly driven by the nanny, so I was thinking of upsizing into a cheaper car because the nanny doesn't need a nice car. Unfortunately, and ultimately not surprisingly I guess, my X1 has depreciated a lot in 2 years. Although the blue book value is quite good, no one has offered anywhere close to that. I might just keep it because it's not a bad car for us and does drive better than anything else we are looking at, albeit at the expense of having very little room for car seats. Spending money to get a less nice car because I don't think the nanny needs a BMW is fooolish.

Second car would be for my wife's part-time commute and we want something that won't make us cringe when it gets dinged since it will be street parked. That role is currently filled by my old SUV but my wife refuses to drive it because her work garages give her a hard time about parking a full size SUV. The thought would be to get something small that would fit a car seat or two but that wouldn't be it's primary role.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!