or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 880

post #13186 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

If money is a concern, you should get on the horn with a local Dallas BMW enthusiast dude and DIY the control arm. I bet a lot of guys would volunteer to help a man in need. I also don't think that's a very stringent job. Buy part, throw car up on jack/jack stands, remove the old one, put on the new one. The wheel refinishing is cosmetic so you could do that later. How much was the quote for the individual wheel?

In all honesty, I can easily swing the repair bill, it's just that I feel like shit for being so reckless. I need my car ASAP and they're already in the process of repairing everything (wheels included, no quote yet for the replacement) so even if I wanted to DIY everything, I don't have the time or resources to.

Good idea, though. Never thought to DIY it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post

As BMWs age, people get tired of maintaining them...

Yep.

Also, the new M3/4s are out, so I foresee them dropping even further, just like my e60 when the f10 m5 came out.

Either way, I'm trying to sell my car.

I want the cash back so I can invest it and I'm leaning towards an e46 m3 now. Though, I really do like having sedans now, so if the price is right, I may spring for an e90 m3. I'll probably finance it to maximize cash flow.
post #13187 of 15714
there's an e46 m3 nearby for $17k but it's at 70k miles

if you bought a 1m when it came it out you could sell it today for roughly the same amount teacha.gif (as long as you know you didn't drive it much)
post #13188 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by size 38R View Post






Umm, side note.. do you guys feel that the more advanced cars (especially luxury models) de-sensitize the driver? rendering them unable to feel the "presence" and "magnitude" of the hulk they are comfortably riding in?     with a reduced "Tactile" feel that could potentially be dangerous?    
I like a car that feels "Raw".     what do you guys think?
My S63 AMG feels very "raw" when I push it, and I do often. I'm averaging about 6000 miles on my rear tires before having to replace them. The car is not like my Porsche, but the thrill it provides is good on its own. It's amazing for such a big and heavy car.
post #13189 of 15714
this is my current ride - a 2009 328i convertible in mojave metallic with saddle leather.

e7a9y4e3.jpg

pajemy2e.jpg

it's been great, but I am thinking of replacing it with a more practical car if and when my wife and I have kids, (hopefully in the next year).

now the question that made me finally register here: any recommendations for a stylish, sporty, relatively compact 4-door family hauler? I will probably go for the x1 or q3 but am awfully tempted by the macan diesel (likely coming to the us in 2015; I'm already on two dealer lists). I live in sf, so prefer smaller vehicles for parking and efficiency purposes.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13190 of 15714

2005 Porsche GT-3

 

also have 1972 Orange 911 Targa..gotta get that one on the road..

 

 


Edited by rangefinder - 3/5/14 at 7:22pm
post #13191 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

Called my mechanic, more bad news.

Front wheel is cracked in the center; have to get that replaced.

Total repair bill now close to $2K.

baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif
baldy[1].gif

Has anyone made the "I told you so" thread yet? Because I remember everybody in this thread cautioning against buying that car. Did it even get you laid bro?
post #13192 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevron View Post

Has anyone made the "I told you so" thread yet? Because I remember everybody in this thread cautioning against buying that car. Did it even get you laid bro?

1) Who the hell are you? lol
2) Did I ever introduce the notion of 'regret' for having purchased and owned this car? Nope. Ten years from now, you think I'm going to regret the fact that I bought a 507 HP V10 sedan at age 24 (comfortably, too, might I add)? Nah.
3) Most girls don't even know that the car I drive is a performance car. To them, it's just another BMW. I do get positive compliments just on the basis that it's a nice car (nice interior, comfortable, smooth, etc.). It's only after they get a taste of the V10 do they realize it's not a regular luxo-barge cruiser. At that point, they're more like "holy shit I wasn't expecting that," less "wow I want to suck your cawk now!!!" By far and beyond, I get the most attention from other dudes.
post #13193 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFrog View Post

1) Who the hell are you? lol
2) Did I ever introduce the notion of 'regret' for having purchased and owned this car? Nope. Ten years from now, you think I'm going to regret the fact that I bought a 507 HP V10 sedan at age 24 (comfortably, too, might I add)? Nah.
3) Most girls don't even know that the car I drive is a performance car. To them, it's just another BMW. I do get positive compliments just on the basis that it's a nice car (nice interior, comfortable, smooth, etc.). It's only after they get a taste of the V10 do they realize it's not a regular luxo-barge cruiser. At that point, they're more like "holy shit I wasn't expecting that," less "wow I want to suck your cawk now!!!" By far and beyond, I get the most attention from other dudes.

not that there's anything wrong with that
post #13194 of 15714

I'll be visiting LA & Vegas for the next week. I'm renting a 911 or 987 boxster... Can you guys recommend some great, winding roads?

post #13195 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by horndog View Post


Eh, the M school is a vacation. An experiential heirloom for fathers and sons. You learn some basics across various M platforms (who knows if they even have your model of M5 to drive) but it's mostly a rite of passage in your ascent to the higher strata of BMW fanboyism. You go home with branded BMW baubles and a video to post on e46fanatics, where you can now justifiably write "///M". Also, it's in South Carolina, and travel is not included in the price. Oh, you know that all the cars are automatics, right?

If that's what gets you off, then go for it. But I maintain that learning on your own car at a local track is infinitely more rewarding and a smarter choice. You learn more about your car when you sit down with the shop doing the inspection. Maybe the serpentine belt is going, your brake fluids too high (dont want to boil it and pop the cylinder), a lug nut wasn't torqued correctly. When you cast off all the liability to another person as in the case of the big driving schools you're kind of turning off your brain. Also with local events you network with drivers around you. Get introduced to new people and new shops. Who knows.

Again, you are mastering your car. Get the track day insurance if you're worried about putting it into a wall. I also highly doubt that you'll be roasting 50% of your 300 treadwear tires on your first few days out. I *guarantee* that once you do track your car, and start trashing it the way God intended an M5 to be thrashed, you'll have so much fun that you dont care about consumables. And dont give me that beta crap "but i dont wanna hurt my M5". If you're dating a model, you damn well better smack her ass and pull her hair.
I don't really disagree with this, but you really need to be clear about what you are arguing. Your first post implied that track days are much cheaper, or "a couple of hundred for the day, a couple of hundred for insurance" when that's not true when you factor in everything. And now you're saying that the expense is worth it because of the experience, friendships, etc.

Again, not saying you're wrong, but don't refute a response to your argument by changing your original argument

Also, it looks like you have a lot of contempt for DCT on the track, huh? Guess you've mastered manual to the extent that you're faster around the track than "automatic" drivers...
post #13196 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardsf View Post

this is my current ride - a 2009 328i convertible in mojave metallic with saddle leather.

e7a9y4e3.jpg

pajemy2e.jpg

it's been great, but I am thinking of replacing it with a more practical car if and when my wife and I have kids, (hopefully in the next year).

now the question that made me finally register here: any recommendations for a stylish, sporty, relatively compact 4-door family hauler? I will probably go for the x1 or q3 but am awfully tempted by the macan diesel (likely coming to the us in 2015; I'm already on two dealer lists). I live in sf, so prefer smaller vehicles for parking and efficiency

Pictures taken at twin peaks? As discussed earlier in thread, I live in SF as well and recently bought an X1. I find it is pretty easy to park (particularly with the parking package) and relatively fun to drive. Might not be that different from your 328 - same underpinnings.

There are definitely shortcomings however. The X1 isn't that spacious so if you really want to have decent room you should look elsewhere. And it's not just limited in cargo space, it's a tight fit with an infant car seat - you likely won't be able to push your front seats back as far as you like.

Also depending on when exactly you are in the market the next generation X1 may be here which will be a very different beast. I suspect it will be much more practical at the expense of driving dynamics. It will be based on the new mini front wheel drive platform.
post #13197 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
 

2005 Porsche GT-3

 

also have 1972 Orange 911 Targa..gotta get that one on the road..

 

 


Very very cool...I love this model

post #13198 of 15714

Beat a WRX the other day. Shouldn't have. He looked real butthurt, though.

 

He started it.

 

Eat turbs, jackass.


Edited by death shot - 3/6/14 at 6:36am
post #13199 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by death shot View Post
 

Beat a WRX the other day. Shouldn't have. He looked real butthurt, though.

 

He started it.

 

Eat turbs, jackass.

What were you driving?:lurk: 

post #13200 of 15714
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRoi View Post

I don't really disagree with this, but you really need to be clear about what you are arguing. Your first post implied that track days are much cheaper, or "a couple of hundred for the day, a couple of hundred for insurance" when that's not true when you factor in everything. And now you're saying that the expense is worth it because of the experience, friendships, etc.

Again, not saying you're wrong, but don't refute a response to your argument by changing your original argument

Also, it looks like you have a lot of contempt for DCT on the track, huh? Guess you've mastered manual to the extent that you're faster around the track than "automatic" drivers...

Even if you notch it up to $1000 for a weekend long HPDE/PDX driving event, you could get in two-three for the cost of the BMW school. And I still think you learn more from driving and prepping your own car.

No contempt for DCT here, but I'd not want to spend all that money and not drive a stick. No doubt DCTs are definitely faster around a track but none of us are real racers, so who cares; it's more about fun. Sticks are more fun.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!