or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Why shouldn't you put denim in a dryer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why shouldn't you put denim in a dryer?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
The title of the thread says it all. Why do many of you SFers not dry jeans in the dryer? I have always dried all of my jeans in a dryer, as I like how they soften up as opposed to line-drying them. Anyways, just wondering what the rationale is.
post #2 of 15
It definitely decreases longevity. That being said, I have put my older Nudie RRDS in the dryer recently, because it is incredibly humid right now in Boston, and mildewy jeans are, well, unappealing to anyone.
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It definitely decreases longevity. That being said, I have put my older Nudie RRDS in the dryer recently, because it is incredibly humid right now in Boston, and mildewy jeans are, well, unappealing to anyone.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Yup.
post #5 of 15
Yeah, I used to not dry any of my jeans in the dryer for longevity reasons. The dryer seems to make your jeans fade really fast.

But lately, I use the dryer for all my jeans... they smell nicer afterwards and they feel softer. Plus, I figure I buy so many jeans anyways, why do I need them each to last me 15 years.
post #6 of 15
I put my Svens in the drier for 5 minutes after the first night I owned them (first time I went out with them was the only time they picked up a smokey smell) and they smelt fresh afterwards.
post #7 of 15
If my jeans are at a length that I like before I ever wash or dry them, then I hang dry to prevent shrinkage. If my jeans are a little longer than I like, then I'll dry them once or twice to get a little shrinkage.

For the most part I'll just avoid the dryer so I don't accidently forget to pull out a pair that I don't want to shrink, but I don't really have anything against using a dryer.
post #8 of 15
Drying your jeans will soften them considerably (making 'wear' a lot harder to achieve, if you care about that) and will weaken the cotton fibers. It can also put weird creases into your jeans. (Not as bad as not washing them inside out, though.)
post #9 of 15
Wait, washing your jeans inside out is bad for them?
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by minya
It can also put weird creases into your jeans. (Not as bad as not washing them inside out, though.)

...
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by minya
Drying your jeans will soften them considerably (making 'wear' a lot harder to achieve, if you care about that) and will weaken the cotton fibers.

It can also put weird creases into your jeans. (Not as bad as not washing them inside out, though.)

the creases are from drying, not washing in my experience
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
...
My mistake. Misread.
post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
So the bottom line is that those who don't use the dryer do it for the sake of less shrinkage and increased longevity? I have never had a problem with jeans shrinking too much that I can't wear them anymore, but then again, I just bought my first pair of Dry denim 2 weeks ago, and haven't given them a wash yet (and not for a while!) I can understand the point of maintaining the durability of the jeans, but if you only wash your jeans once every 6-8 weeks anyways, how much more harm can you do with putting them in the dryer? I will only be wearing jeans on a regular basis for another 6 or 7 years anyways. Anyways.. I am still confused. Some people talk about putting denim in the dryer as if it is sacriligious.
post #14 of 15
A lot of people don't want dry denim to soften up. They like it to remain stiff, thus, no dryer.
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobull
Some people talk about putting denim in the dryer as if it is sacriligious.


Yes, well, if you were looking for the church of the narrow loom, you have come to the right place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Why shouldn't you put denim in a dryer?