or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition - Page 3

post #31 of 2863
my gripe is when you find a hair in your food. not of your color, so you know it fell off of someone else's head, nostril, or armpit (preparing your food with short sleeves w/ low armholes)
post #32 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomestar View Post
I hear the prime rib is cheaper at 4:30. And the dining room is more Hover-Round accessible.

It also has unlimited salad bar!
post #33 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
my gripe is when you find a hair in your food. not of your color, so you know it fell off of someone else's head, nostril, or armpit (preparing your food with short sleeves w/ low armholes)

I was at a restaurant once and found a long black hair in my food. It definitely could not have been mine since my head was shaved real short at the time. When the waitress returned to my table I showed her the hair was in my food and she said, "Oh that has to be your hair since they all wear hats in the kitchen."
post #34 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
What do you expect when you order tomatoes months out of season at early bird special hour?

+1

Was about to ask why he was ordering tomatoes in the midwest mid-April.
post #35 of 2863
There's a bunch of fried catfish restaurants back in East Texas that don't serve slices of lemon with the fish and to put into the ubiquitous sweet tea - they instead offer lemon packets. It's like McDonald's Ketchup but with lemon juice inside instead.
post #36 of 2863
This thread disappoints for it's too-easy aiming-low-y-ness.

I fully expected it to be a gripe about Screaming Eagle being served 2 degrees too warm.
post #37 of 2863
Nothing pisses me off more, however, than ordering a hamburger rare and it coming out medium. Not medium-rare, but medium.

I remember when I went to Argentina, where they take such great pride in their beef, and all I could get was well-done beef. This was after I was asked for my preferred temperature or me requesting the meat to be cooked rare. There's no taste or texture difference between the grass-fed beef they are so proud of and the meat they serve in prisons when it's cooked to a char.
post #38 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Grant View Post
This thread disappoints for it's too-easy aiming-low-y-ness.

I fully expected it to be a gripe about Screaming Eagle being served 2 degrees too warm.

Most restaurants serve their reds way too warm and their whites way too cold. The reds should not be at the temperature of the restaurant during winter months and the whites should not be at the same temperature as the beers.
post #39 of 2863
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
+1 Was about to ask why he was ordering tomatoes in the midwest mid-April.
Because I disagree with the whole "only eat what's in season" line of reasoning (as it is often used as a be all, end all for a lot of people) and tomatoes sounded good.
post #40 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Nothing pisses me off more, however, than ordering a hamburger rare and it coming out medium. Not medium-rare, but medium.

I remember when I went to Argentina, where they take such great pride in their beef, and all I could get was well-done beef. This was after I was asked for my preferred temperature or me requesting the meat to be cooked rare. There's no taste or texture difference between the grass-fed beef they are so proud of and the meat they serve in prisons when it's cooked to a char.
I think a lot of places are worried about ground beef temps. I can understand why, but I can't understand why they don't just say "we cook medium and above."
post #41 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammatt View Post
I think a lot of places are worried about ground beef temps. I can understand why, but I can't understand why they don't just say "we cook medium and above."

Yeah, as far as ground beef, I agree with you. However, my suspicion is that it's more of an issue with the cook's competency more than safety.
post #42 of 2863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
Most restaurants serve their reds way too warm and their whites way too cold. The reds should not be at the temperature of the restaurant during winter months and the whites should not be at the same temperature as the beers.

Agreed. BUT: while this may be important for that first taste/impression, reds are always room temp by the time you're half way through the glass and whites are getting there...
post #43 of 2863
It pisses me off when the wait staff have obviously not been given proper training. I do not blame them for that but rather the establishment's management. I'm not talking about anything intense either, like always serving from the right and clearing from the left, but things like carrying clean glasses (or dirty for that matter) by sticking their fingers in the glasses, not providing proper silverware, i.e. having to ask for a meat knife when you get a steak or soup spoon for your soup, etc.
post #44 of 2863
FYI: I find many whites are served too cold. No, I do not want my Chard or SB ice cold so I can't taste it and all the aromas are locked up tight.
post #45 of 2863
seriously, this is the WORST you can do? brush-etta. "Are you still working on that?" "How is your food tasting?" insalata caprese served as a sundowner special at some restaurant in the midwest made with out-of-season tomatoes and packaged mozzarella. what did they put on it? dried basil? jeez, man, you've only been out of cali for what, a week?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Things that are pissing you off- Food & Drink Edition