• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK or US sizing (C & J for BB)

Salsalocust

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

I am having a crisis of confidence over the sizing of this shoe I have just listed on eBay. It is a C & J made shoe on the 240 last that has been resocked. Almost certainly it is a Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers.

I made the decision to list these as UK 9.5 D because the insole bears the imprint ' 9 1/2 4' with 4 being the fitting. As these are english made using english components, I presume the 4 fitting to be an English 'D' fit.... 95 % of the shoes that pass through me are E fit and have a 5 on the insole to reflect this.

However a Styleforum member has contacted me to suggest I am in error. He states that as the shoe has 9 1/2 D pen written on the inside of the shoe it is indeed an American 9 1/2 D and that all his US 9 D shoes made by C & J have '4' on the insole anyway.

I was both thrown and surprised by this and regret dabbling with bloody 'D' fitting shoes ( nice that they are
laugh.gif
)

Please could someone throw some light on this.... have I listed a UK 9.5D or a US 9.5 D

A quick response would allow me to revise or scrap the listing.

Regards,

Graham

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was the one who sent Graham an email. All of my US size 9D C&J for BB shoes are a '4' width insole. I have one pair that is 'C' width, and it is a '3' width insole.

I can provide measurements of my 9D on the 240 so you can compare length measurements. If those are a 9.5D US, they should only be marginally longer.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have an answer, but was actually just looking at those on Ebay.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are UK size,not US and thus would be 10D.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how are you most certain that they were for BB USA at one time?

I have a 9.5D US BB by CJ (chukka on medway) if you want measurements.

IMO the 240 runs true to size, not large.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
how are you most certain that they were for BB USA at one time? I have a 9.5D US BB by CJ (chukka on medway) if you want measurements. IMO the 240 runs true to size, not large.
I've never seen the 240 used on anything except for BB. I used to own those shoes (sold them on the B&S a few months ago). Are your Cukkas 360 degree welted? If so, measurements won't help. The shoes in question are 270. I was going to give some 9D measurements, but I realized all of my 240 last C&Js are 360 welted.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
actually, I was asking Salsa why he was sure.

So rebel, you owned the exact pair he listed? Did you sell them to him? Or do you mean you owned the normal retail BB version sold in the US, or do you mean owned a similar strange sub version he has with the replaced sockliner?

btw, CJ does use the 240, for their Grasmere. I presume that's what you meant by "never seen used by BB".

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah that was a typo. I've only seen the 240 for rebranded stuff, but you are right about the Grashmere. That's only in a UK 'C' width.

I didn't sell him that pair. I have owned that shoe in the BB model. Not that specific one, but the same shoe (not second, not replaced sockliner)

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny thing is, the Grasmere doesn't clarify anything. Maybe whenever CJ uses the 240, it's only in a UK C-width? maybe they just add half a size number and call it D in the US

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust
Hi Guys,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...STRK:MESELX:IT

I am having a crisis of confidence over the sizing of this shoe I have just listed on eBay. It is a C & J made shoe on the 240 last that has been resocked. Almost certainly it is a Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers.

I made the decision to list these as UK 9.5 D because the insole bears the imprint ' 9 1/2 4' with 4 being the fitting. As these are english made using english components, I presume the 4 fitting to be an English 'D' fit.... 95 % of the shoes that pass through me are E fit and have a 5 on the insole to reflect this.

However a Styleforum member has contacted me to suggest I am in error. He states that as the shoe has 9 1/2 D pen written on the inside of the shoe it is indeed an American 9 1/2 D and that all his US 9 D shoes made by C & J have '4' on the insole anyway.

I was both thrown and surprised by this and regret dabbling with bloody 'D' fitting shoes ( nice that they are
laugh.gif
)

Please could someone throw some light on this.... have I listed a UK 9.5D or a US 9.5 D

A quick response would allow me to revise or scrap the listing.

Regards,

Graham

US9.5D

Originally Posted by rebel222
I was the one who sent Graham an email. All of my US size 9D C&J for BB shoes are a '4' width insole. I have one pair that is 'C' width, and it is a '3' width insole.

I can provide measurements of my 9D on the 240 so you can compare length measurements. If those are a 9.5D US, they should only be marginally longer.

Originally Posted by rebel222
The brooks brothers ones are definitely US sized, no questions. They may run big, but they're US sized. I wear my true size in that model.

He has a pair of C&J subs (not marked Brooks Brothers).

Yup. I have a pair of those BB Peal brown punch caps, as well as their tan pebble grain boots, made by C&J on the 240 last. Both are labelled size UD9D and have 9 and 4 on the insole.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
I was wondering this too. I came across a pair of chukkas made for Barney's and the size is listed as a 10.5D, but they are 270 welted and measure 12" from heel to toe. Most of my shoes measure 12" and I wear an 11D.

I'm going to have to assume that these have the UK size written on the inside.

If anybody has had experiences with the C&J for Barney's can you comment on this?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads