• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on Anti-Virus Software

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I just bought a new laptop and can get Symantec's Endpoint Protection for free via my company. However, from what I've read, this is a product that's meant mainly for small businesses. Given that this is a home computer, would I be better off buying an ESET, BitDefender etc. type of product instead?

Thanks - ET

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it strange how people pay absurd amounts ($80/year) for virus protection.

avast! and avira are both free alternatives and dare I say, work better than McAfee/Norton.

I'm currently using the best combo on my home computer: avast! Home edition + Malwarebytes.

I have not gotten a virus in 2 years. If you want extra protection, download the NoScript add-on in Mozilla Firefox.

PS - Update at least once a week. Run a scan every couple of weeks.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Microsoft Security Essentials gets excellent reviews and is completely free.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My question revolves around whether a product like Symantec Endpoint Protection would be overkill for a home computer, and use too much of my CPU. Would it?

According to all reviews, Symantec Endpoint Protection is meaningfully superior to programs like Avast, and its is free for me.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
My question revolves around whether a product like Symantec Endpoint Protection would be overkill for a home computer, and use too much of my CPU. Would it?

According to all reviews, Symantec Endpoint Protection is meaningfully superior to programs like Avast, and its is free for me.

I would not recommend anyone use Endpoint Protection. We removed it from our server and replaced it with Kaspersky and saw instant improvement in performance. SEP just uses too many resources.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lbcgav
I would not recommend anyone use Endpoint Protection. We removed it from our server and replaced it with Kaspersky and saw instant improvement in performance. SEP just uses too many resources.

Thanks - that is helpful.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some experiences with Symantec myself, and would advise everyone against using it, let alone thinking of installing it.

vortex89

Reaction score
I also recommend Avast or AVG, preferably Avast!

Its free, it updates everyday at least! and highly configurable

Not had a virus since its been installed and I visit some dubious websites

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I just bought a new laptop and can get Symantec's Endpoint Protection for free via my company. However, from what I've read, this is a product that's meant mainly for small businesses. Given that this is a home computer, would I be better off buying an ESET, BitDefender etc. type of product instead?

Thanks - ET

symantec sucks it does absolutely sh*t for our company. i dont know if it is the product itself, or if our company didnt implement it well enterprise-wise, but we still go around doing desk jobs with hirens and malawarebytes.
facepalm.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I administer Symantec Endpoint Protection on a few hundred workstations. It's fine for a home PC and does not consume a lot of CPU or RAM. There are several modules you can install. I would start with just Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware module and don't initially install the Network Threat Protection or the Proactive Threat Protection.
Since it's free for you I would try it out. You can always uninstall later and try something else.

Unfortunately, Symantec or any other single antivirus program may not stop some of the newer, more sophisticated threats but that's a separate post.

Prince

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vortex89
I also recommend Avast or AVG, preferably Avast!

Its free, it updates everyday at least! and highly configurable

Not had a virus since its been installed and I visit some dubious websites

Same here. Avast is pretty decent imo although the updating does take some time.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
yeah i guess it's fine for home but the enterprise one we use sucks . it literally sucks /drains the pcs here of their performance
I meant it's not overkill for home use and it's fine for enterprise use as well, including production servers. In my experience, it does not put a big drain on resource though it depends how you have it configured (number of in-house servers, how the nodes communicate with the servers, frequency and timing of scans, etc.) though of course your experience may differ.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads