• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best players Currently in the NBA

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In light of this seasons terrible decision in regards to who was awarded the MVP.I thought I'd get the forum's opinion on the leagues best 3-5 players.
I'll start

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) D. Wade
4) Tim Duncan (forgiven this weak season)
5) Dirk

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only thing I might disagree with is your inclusion of Duncan. I think he's past his prime. Also, I don't think this season's decision was as terrible as you say it is, at least not to the point where I would exclude Steve Nash from the top 5. Also, there are different roles that different players play so it's kind of hard to say. And to me, the best player will always be Jason Kidd
tounge.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. Lebron James
2. Yao Ming (assuming he is 100%
3. Dwayne Wade
4. Nowitzki
5. Bryant (with AI a close 6)

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If we are talking raw talent, this is my list...

1) LeBron
2) D. Wade
3) Kobe
4) K. Garnett
5) Dirk

If we are talking raw talent plus making your teammates better, this is my list

1) D. Wade
2) Nash
3) Shaq
4) Kidd
5) B. Wallace

TheRookie

Reaction score
Kobe
Wade
James
Dirk

I don't see how you can put Wade and especially Lebron above Kobe. He may not be a good teammate but he as all the athleticism of the other two, a better killer instinct, MUCH better defense, and better FT shooting.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Only thing I might disagree with is your inclusion of Duncan. I think he's past his prime. Also, I don't think this season's decision was as terrible as you say it is, at least not to the point where I would exclude Steve Nash from the top 5. Also, there are different roles that different players play so it's kind of hard to say. And to me, the best player will always be Jason Kidd
tounge.gif

I still don't know what Nash did to deserve MVP. He didn't have stellar stats, his team didn't win much nor has he proven he's able to win in the finals. His old team and conference rivals made it to the finals without him. I thinks he's very good, but to compare him to someone like Wade is a disrespectful to Wade.
I still love Kidd too, though I think its over for him basically.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
1. Lebron James
2. Yao Ming (assuming he is 100%
3. Dwayne Wade
4. Nowitzki
5. Bryant (with AI a close 6)

Who doesn't fit here?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shaq is still the MOST dominant player in the NBA. If he stays in shape, he will be next year too. Duncan is one of the only elite players to ever give him fits.

Shaq's biggest weakness is that he sometimes loses focus, but when he decides to play, only the ref's* can stop him.

Look for Kobe's career to be all but over soon. He just had knee surgery. Remember Penny Hardaway?

And no t-mac?

1. Shaq
2. Wade
3. t-mac
4. King James
5. Rashweed Wallace (no one is able to match up against him consistently)
6. Duncan
7. Brevin Knight

*or Kobe bryant not passing him the ball.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheRookie
Kobe
Wade
James
Dirk

I don't see how you can put Wade and especially Lebron above Kobe. He may not be a good teammate but he as all the athleticism of the other two, a better killer instinct, MUCH better defense, and better FT shooting.

Lebron and Wade make their teams better, Kobe makes his team worse IMO. How many championships would the Lakers have if Kobe hadn't constantly been bitching at Shaq and driving his teammates to retirement?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like aportnoy, I have two lists.

Pure talent:
1) Kobe Bryant
2) LeBron James
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Kevin Garnett
5) Dirk Nowitzki

Players I would draft if I was starting a team:
1) Dwyane Wade
2) LeBron James
3) Dwight Howard
4) Chris Paul
5) Elton Brand

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Okay: Yao Ming? Uh, no. He looked better this season, but he's still a softy. Once he convinces me that he can throw the occasional elbow and not be intimidated into submission by, like, every other player in the league, then we can start talking. That said, he really DID look a lot better this season. He has potential.

I think Kobe deserves to be at the bottom of the list after that game 7 performance against the Suns. He's probably the single most genetically gifted player in the league STILL, even including LeBron and DWade, but when it comes to actual performance, he can't hack it. He's his own worst enemy. I would love love love to put AI in his place, since he's been my favorite player in the league (on the court) for a long time, but in all honesty, you know who I think belongs there? Gilbert Arenas. Everyone's forgetting about him because LeBron upstaged him in the playoffs and pulled that Jedi mind trick on him with those free throws, but look at his stats during that series. He was going blow for blow with LBJ (who has GOT to be #1 or #2 right now, depending on how you rank him against DWade) for the entire series.

Dirk looked incredible until the Finals, and then suddenly started to disappear, except for brief flashes. I still don't know what happened there. After the way he took it up a notch in the playoffs, though, I can't keep him off the list. He belongs in the top 5 for sure.

Nash doesn't quite make it, for me. He's great, and he's the best pure point guard in the league, but he's not good enough on defense. Part of why he looks so good on the Suns is that the team is built in a manner that puts him in the best light possible--that team is predicated on a guard with Nash's skills, and doesn't ask him to do things that he can't do. He's in the top 10, but probably not the top 5.

Shaq is too old; it's over for him. He's not nearly as dominant as he was, except in occasional flashes, and he doesn't seem to be able to turn it on as easily as he used to.

LeBron, DWade, Nowitzki, Arenas, Kobe. AI #6.

*I'm not 100% sure on my Arenas pick, but I have to find one dark horse, right? Otherwise what's the fun? Plus, he was really, REALLY good in the Cleveland series.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Okay: Yao Ming? Uh, no. He looked better this season, but he's still a softy. Once he convinces me that he can throw the occasional elbow and not be intimidated into submission by, like, every other player in the league, then we can start talking. That said, he really DID look a lot better this season. He has potential.

I think Kobe deserves to be at the bottom of the list after that game 7 performance against the Suns. He's probably the single most genetically gifted player in the league STILL, even including LeBron and DWade, but when it comes to actual performance, he can't hack it. He's his own worst enemy. I would love love love to put AI in his place, since he's been my favorite player in the league (on the court) for a long time, but in all honesty, you know who I think belongs there? Gilbert Arenas. Everyone's forgetting about him because LeBron upstaged him in the playoffs and pulled that Jedi mind trick on him with those free throws, but look at his stats during that series. He was going blow for blow with LBJ (who has GOT to be #1 or #2 right now, depending on how you rank him against DWade) for the entire series.

Dirk looked incredible until the Finals, and then suddenly started to disappear, except for brief flashes. I still don't know what happened there. After the way he took it up a notch in the playoffs, though, I can't keep him off the list. He belongs in the top 5 for sure.

Nash doesn't quite make it, for me. He's great, and he's the best pure point guard in the league, but he's not good enough on defense. Part of why he looks so good on the Suns is that the team is built in a manner that puts him in the best light possible--that team is predicated on a guard with Nash's skills, and doesn't ask him to do things that he can't do. He's in the top 10, but probably not the top 5.

Shaq is too old; it's over for him. He's not nearly as dominant as he was, except in occasional flashes, and he doesn't seem to be able to turn it on as easily as he used to.

LeBron, DWade, Nowitzki, Arenas, Kobe. AI #6.

*I'm not 100% sure on my Arenas pick, but I have to find one dark horse, right? Otherwise what's the fun? Plus, he was really, REALLY good in the Cleveland series.

I don't understand Kobe's odd change in style of play in Game 7 of the Suns series. But he did win the previous games almost single handedly. He also made numerous buzzer beaters through out the season. While I think Kobe is idiot, if only for not doing ever it took to keep Shaq there. No one displays as much skill on both sides of the court as him. Nor do many inspire as much confidence, in the fourth quarter down 7 with 2 minutes left as he does.

Gilberts a beast, and a big surprise. I look forward to seeing if he maintains that level of play. He seems more one dimensional than Kobe and Lebron, but the rate that at which he scores somewhat covers up for his other deficiencies.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
I don't understand Kobe's odd change in style of play in Game 7 of the Suns series. But he did win the previous games almost single handedly. He also made numerous buzzer beaters through out the season. While I think Kobe is idiot, if only for not doing ever it took to keep Shaq there. No one displays as much skill on both sides of the court as him. Nor do many inspire as much confidence, in the fourth quarter down 7 with 2 minutes left as he does.

Gilberts a beast, and a big surprise. I look forward to seeing if he maintains that level of play. He seems more one dimensional than Kobe and Lebron, but the rate that at which he scores somewhat covers up for his other deficiencies.

I think the Game 7 thing was sheer childish petulance. He was pissed at his teammates, and he was tired of shouldering the load entirely on his own, and he was sick of the damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't he was getting in the media. I understood it, to some degree; I remember all the criticism of him in Games 5 and 6, saying he was shooting way too much, he was hogging the ball, etc, when it was clear to anyone who was actually watching that game that the *only* person on the floor capable of scoring at the time was Kobe; and then when he was giving it up and his teammates weren't scoring, he was "unwilling to take charge when he needs to" and such. The problem was that he took all that out with him onto the court and then let every Lakers fan down in a big way by spending the last half of Game 7 giving the media and the critics the finger instead of doing whatever he had to to give the Lakers their last sliver of a chance to win. Understandable, I guess, but incredibly disappointing.

In terms of sheer talent, though, like I said, I think he should go above DWade and LeBron (at least at this point in their careers--three years from now, who knows).

Arenas probably doesn't belong there, but I was trying to spur a little debate.
smile.gif

Personally, I thought Amare Stoudemire was on track to be a monster two seasons ago. I will be really interested to see how he bounces back this season.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster

Personally, I thought Amare Stoudemire was on track to be a monster two seasons ago. I will be really interested to see how he bounces back this season.

Weren't the Suns playing better while Amare was out? I remember I was in attendance at either his first or second game back when the Suns played the Nets and the Suns got killed by like 35 points (and the Nets held Nash to 0 points
tounge.gif
).

Anyway, I still can't believe that Nash is getting no love whatsoever. Maybe he didn't finish the season that well, but neither did a lot of other guys that are on everyone's lists.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 57 39.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 24 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics