or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2010 NFL Draft
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2010 NFL Draft - Page 6

post #76 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14 View Post
The difference being that Joe Flacco and TJ both have real NFL experience and Whitehurst doesn't, therefore he is judged solely on his pre-season appearances ("relevant" or not).
You can't prove anything based on preseason stats. That's the point. You don't know how Charlie Whitehurst is going to do. Neither do I. I choose to be optimistic because he's got the physical tools to succeed, and a team that just made a pretty significant investment in him who wants him to succeed. If he needs training, he'll get it. You plainly state that he will fail because he sucked in the preseason in San Diego.
Quote:
Anyways, this debate is academic anyway because there's no way for either of us to prove ourselves right (or the other wrong) until the season actually starts.
Um... no. Your argument:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14 View Post
Let's be honest, no one is going to be behind Charlie Whitehurst for very long.
My argument:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
A: As far as I know, you aren't an NFL scout. Neither am I. Neither one of us really knows jack shit about Charlie Whitehurst.
I win.
post #77 of 148
Charlie Whitehurst is going to make 5 million dollars this year. That is my contribution to this discussion.
post #78 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblood View Post
Charlie Whitehurst is going to make 5 million dollars this year. That is my contribution to this discussion.

I agree.
post #79 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit View Post
Still can't believe my 'skins passed on the Terps' Campbell in the 4th.
I was surprised at this as well. Campbell must be more of a workout warrior than we thought.
post #80 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
You can't prove anything based on preseason stats. That's the point. You don't know how Charlie Whitehurst is going to do. Neither do I. I choose to be optimistic because he's got the physical tools to succeed, and a team that just made a pretty significant investment in him who wants him to succeed. If he needs training, he'll get it. You plainly state that he will fail because he sucked in the preseason in San Diego.


Um... no. Your argument:


My argument:


I win.
I believe I used the word 'prove'. As much as I believe that Charlie Whitehurst is going to be a flop, and no one is going to be behind him on the depth chart for very long, there's no way to know until we see what happens.

Therefore whatever arguments you or I may make are purely conjecture because unless you have a crystal ball that tells the future (do you?) we won't know until the NFL season.

And I never said "he'll fail because he was bad in pre-season" but I don't believe he will do well. This is based on what I've seen of him in pre-season (basically the only NFL playing time he's had) and what I saw of him in college.

Basically we've both seen the same amount of him as the other, whereas you're a Seahawks fan and you think he'll do well, and I'm not a Seahawks fan and I think he won't. Like I said, we'll see once the season comes around.
post #81 of 148
No, you don't get it. You have already admitted to the fact that you don't know how Whitehurst is going to do. Therefore my point is proven, and yours remains conjecture and speculation.

It has nothing to do with how well or poorly I think he's going to do or not do. The fact that I'm optimisic, and you are not has nothing to do with it. I never said he was going to be a pro bowl QB. I said he has the tools to succeed, and I think the organization has a significant investment in making that happen. (Something the Chargers didn't have).

You just put forth the opinion that Whitehurst is going to fail, as if it was a fact. It's not.

Everything I said was already proven. Except that you were no scout. Which was then subsequently admitted by you in following posts.
post #82 of 148
Love the Raider's pick of Jared Veldheer in the Rd. 3.

First player out of my undergrad since 1980.

Go D2!
post #83 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradford View Post
Love the Raider's pick of Jared Veldheer in the Rd. 3.

First player out of my undergrad since 1980.

Go D2!

The Raiders actually picked up the biggest O-line studs in the draft as far as pure athletic talent/physicality is concerned. If they pan out this could be a very sweet draft for them.

Honestly I would have liked to have seen the 9ers get Veldheer and skip on the TE.
post #84 of 148
I'm still waiting for the Raiders to offer Usain Bolt a 15 million contract to play WR.
post #85 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
No, you don't get it. You have already admitted to the fact that you don't know how Whitehurst is going to do. Therefore my point is proven, and yours remains conjecture and speculation.

It has nothing to do with how well or poorly I think he's going to do or not do. The fact that I'm optimisic, and you are not has nothing to do with it. I never said he was going to be a pro bowl QB. I said he has the tools to succeed, and I think the organization has a significant investment in making that happen. (Something the Chargers didn't have).

You just put forth the opinion that Whitehurst is going to fail, as if it was a fact. It's not.

Everything I said was already proven. Except that you were no scout. Which was then subsequently admitted by you in following posts.

The 3rd round draft pick they used on wasn't a significant investment? They didn't want to see him succeed? Doesn't really make sense to me.

I put forth the opinion that he was going to fail as what it is, my opinion.

I'm not sure what point you think you've made. If your only point is that "he has the tools to succeed" and that the Seahawks have a "significant investment in making that happen" then sure I'll agree with you.

But I will make the further argument that every player drafted in the NFL has the tools to succeed, and every team that drafted that player has a significant investment in making that happen. It's really a "no duh" statement. They wouldn't have been drafted if NFL teams didn't think the player could succeed, and that they could help them with it.

My OPINION is that Charlie Whitehurst is going to be a career backup, but the FACT of the matter is that we won't know until we see him play.

/discussion
post #86 of 148
You made no mention of your opinion being an opinion. You said he was going to fail. You said he was going to fail because he's been unimpressive when you've seen him. I called BS.

You also said that the Chargers drafted him to push Rivers. Thats a different type of investment than Giving up a few hundred draft points and ten million dollars with the expectation that he's going to be the next starting QB.

They never intended to Groom Whitehurst to start. They fully committed themselves to Rivers.

There's a big difference between hoping someone succeeds, and putting them in the best position to succeed.
post #87 of 148
Man the Sea Hawks just signed Whitehurst. The only way I see that ending is poorly. That guy is going to fail at the pro level.
post #88 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Man the Sea Hawks just signed Whitehurst. The only way I see that ending is poorly. That guy is going to fail at the pro level.

Welcome to last month. Next... the 2010 nfl draft!
post #89 of 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal View Post
Man the Sea Hawks just signed Whitehurst. The only way I see that ending is poorly. That guy is going to fail at the pro level.

+1 lol
post #90 of 148
You guys are assholes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 2010 NFL Draft