• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Things you should never cheap out on

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As the title says...

I'll start with a good mattress.

I just graduated college and moved to los angeles and bought a crappy mattress (The brand was literally named "ACME mattress") for $200 from a seedy warehouse listed in the newspaper. I kept that for 3 years until I couldnt stand it anymore. Went to a real mattress store and bought a $600 mattress and its like night and day. 2 years later its still like new. Will NEVER buy a crappy mattress again.

So, what else isnt worth skimping on?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
for me it's the sort of items that I generally
1. Use very often
2. Where how well it works/doesn't is quite noticeable (this doesn't always apply, like say with a watch), and
2. An item which i generally have one or very few of...

So things like my Mattress, Watch, Glasses, Computer, etc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sushi.

Routine health exams for all those you love.

hamish5178

Reaction score
I don't need a nice mattress strangely. I'm just as happy on the 6-inches of blue foam in my dorm as I was on my Temperpedic at home. . .

I never cheap out on tobacco products. . .

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by versusqc
Condom
facepalm.gif

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Godot

Reaction score
I'd say a watch. I know a guy with like 7 Invicta watches, when for the same money he could buy one decent watch.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A tailor......Inexpensive does not equal cheap...

Monaco

Reaction score
Shoes, you can tell the difference between a pair of quality and cheap shoes, especially those Zara shoes...YUCK!

To that which replied food (unless you're talking about whole food, in which I agree because cheap whole foods are either expired or about to be expired real soon).
I always cheap out on foods at mom n pop shops that make some great authentic ethnic food. Then again, some of the best 'quality' and exotic foods are that of high price and are totally worth it too, you get great stuff at both ends of the price spectrum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads