• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baron Wells

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These guys are on sale @ gilt today, but overall I really think I could like this brand, (once I have the shirt in my possession I will really be able to know or not)..

Does anyone have any experience with them?

It is a preppy surfer vibe / image.

Seems Epaulet will be stocking them for F/W...

Well check it out http://www.baron-wells.com

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that I like the aesthetc, especially with spring here and summer around the corner. The site says it is unisez sizing, the only thing I'm wondering though is how slim fitting the shirts are (i.e. how slim the sleeves and body are). I'm wondering if it is say like J.Crew "slim/tailored" fit or more like say Uniqlo slim fit say.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stockist list from http://www.baron-wells.com/stockists/

* - available this summer or this fall

# TENET (Aspen, CO)
# Adam Et Rope (Japan) *
# TENET (South Hampton, NY) *
# Bows + Arrows (Austin, TX)
# 20 London Limited (London, England) *
# Saturdays (New York, NY)
# Uncle Pete's (Boston, MA) *
# Revolver (San Francisco, CA) *
# I.D. New York (Brooklyn, NY)*
# Frank James (Portland, OR) *
# Drew Lewis (Atlanta, GA) *
# Douglas Fir (Los Angeles, CA) *
# Bill Hallman (Atlanta, GA) *
# Art in the Age (Philadelphia, PA) *
# Epaulete (Brooklyn, NY)
# Smith & Butler (Brooklyn, NY)
# Cher.co.ltd
# Chimeraluxe (Tokyo, Japan) *
# Steven Alan (New York, NY)
# ACE Hotel (Midtown, NY)
# Steven Alan (West Hollywood, LA)

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can get a good idea of the shirt fit by looking at the current gilt sale. Atleast they tell you the models measurements and the size they are wearing.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I think you can get a good idea of the shirt fit by looking at the current gilt sale. Atleast they tell you the models measurements and the size they are wearing.

The model's measurements always appear to be wrong.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
I agree that I like the aesthetc, especially with spring here and summer around the corner. The site says it is unisez sizing, the only thing I'm wondering though is how slim fitting the shirts are (i.e. how slim the sleeves and body are). I'm wondering if it is say like J.Crew "slim/tailored" fit or more like say Uniqlo slim fit say.
Yeah, It's kinda hard to tell how the shirts will fit...and I didn't see a size guide on their website. Going by the gilt measurements I figured that a xs should = a 36, but that method hasn't worked too well for me with Gilt in the past... Also, the unisex sizing has me worried too, as usually when places do that the smallest sizes (like xs) are meant pretty much solely for women. I just ended up going with one small and one xs, and I'll see which fits better (if either). By the way... when did gilt change their shipping costs... my two shirts are shipping for 7.95, in the past it was always a min of $10 - even for 1 shirt. edit: I'm kinda liking the looks of their outerwear for this fall- the navy/khaki coats

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am really liking both of those coats as well...

The yellow lining on the navy coat is good stuff...

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received the shirt today - it is awesome - I think this is going to be my go to brand for shirting... slightly shorter than band of outsiders, slightly looser overall, but fits perfect on me... i went one size down from boo...

was just going to go on gilt to buy more of them, but the sale had ended oh well

daft

Reaction score
Got my shirt too. Agree with constant_struggle about being looser than band of outsiders. The shirt says dry clean only which is weird considering it's 100% cotton. I'm gonna give it a cold wash, hopefully it doesn't shrink.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Received the shirt today - it is awesome - I think this is going to be my go to brand for shirting... slightly shorter than band of outsiders, slightly looser overall, but fits perfect on me... i went one size down from boo... was just going to go on gilt to buy more of them, but the sale had ended oh well
+1 Just got mine today, awesome fit, pretty much perfect for me... slightly looser than Boo...but not by that much. For me the size that fit was the same as my Boo size, which is the same as my RRL/H&M size. For reference - a small is about 19ptp and 27 boc length. Thoughts on fit -works great for me as someone that isn't that tall -the front-back to side difference on the hem is not as drastic as boo -would be even worse than Boo for people that are tall or have long arms - I'm 5ft8 and have normal length arms for my height and its exactly perfect... If I had slightly longer arms they'd be too short. So if anyone got a size Small shirt from the Baron Wells gilt sale that they don't want / didn't fit them right I''ll take it off your hands for you...

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get any shrinkage when you washed the shirts? I wanna know if I can wash 'em too.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took one down to my dry cleaner to ask about cleaning them and they pointed out that the mother of pearl buttons (they said "this looks like some kind of shell") were probably fragile, and that a machine might break them.

They also said color loss or shrinkage could also be the reason, but my money's on the buttons.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually started buying a lot of Baron Wells shirts. Mainly on Gilt but also Bows + Arrows and on their main website. I haven't bothered dry-cleaning any of the shirts as it's too much of a hassle. I just put them in a warm wash and never machine dry. The shirts are all in great condition. The buttons are made from Corozo which I understand is a nut of some description so you might think they would deteriorate but they seem treated with a varnish or something. If the buttons start to fall apart I'll let everyone here know straight away!

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghdvfddzgzdzg
they pointed out that the mother of pearl buttons (they said "this looks like some kind of shell") were probably fragile, and that a machine might break them.

bullshit. they just want your money. the thread holding it to the shirt will unravel long before a machine will break a button. if you're washing shirts at a no/low spin cycle (which i'd recommend) you should be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads