• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"luxury" shirts worn untucked

mob

Reaction score
Hi All,

what's a good luxury long lasting shirt than can be worn untucked? I'd prefer button down.

For untucked, does the shirt need to be cut differently at the bottom?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eek.gif
Firstly, you won't get a lot of love here for untucked, formal shirts, but since you've asked... Untucked shirts should have a straight(er) hem and tend to be shorter in the body. Fairly good examples can be found at Zara and TM Lewin's John Francomb range, off the top of my head.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
The right size Charles Tyrwhitt don't look too bad untucked, I wear a Medium when tucking but I also have two Smalls that look better worn casually and untucked.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress shirts shouldn't be worn untucked. Sport shirts can.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Dress shirts shouldn't be worn untucked. Sport shirts can.

That's a matter of personal opinion. That's like saying you can't wear sandals with jeans...if it looks good, go for it

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
...if it looks good, go for it

The rallying cry of the 1970s.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There isn't any luxury shirt as you ask should never be worn untucked, beside i think it is more comfortablew tucked in then out since the shirt keeps the pants and belt from chaffing the skin.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
There isn't any luxury shirt as you ask should never be worn untucked, beside i think it is more comfortablew tucked in then out since the shirt keeps the pants and belt from chaffing the skin.
Ever heard of underwear?
teacha.gif

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren Black Label shirts work well for this (but the dress shirts, sized by neck, are a bit on the long side). Some Purple Labels might too, depending on your build.

Also, the OP never mentioned "dress" shirts, rather "luxury" shirts. RLPL makes both dress and casual shirting, but I'd consider all of them "luxury."

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Ralph Lauren Black Label shirts work well for this (but the dress shirts, sized by neck, are a bit on the long side).

RLBL shirts are actually designed for this; it is mentioned in the marketing. Something like "elegant both when worn tucked and casually untucked." Also, see comment about them being long, as they are perfect for tall people, like myself (6'2"). For me an untucked shirt needs to be about 32.5-32.75" to not feel too short.

In practice, the marketing is true, and after picking up many RLBL shirts I had a number of their features duplicated in my MTM shirts. As someone in my early twenties, there are many times where a tucked in shirt is too formal, and a shirt that goes perfectly from the office tucked in to this application is a great value.

Bexhill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mob
Hi All,

what's a good luxury long lasting shirt than can be worn untucked? I'd prefer button down.

For untucked, does the shirt need to be cut differently at the bottom?

You'll need a Cuban Shirt. There is no other type of shirt (Except Polo Shirts and T-Shirts) which can be worn untucked!
bigstar[1].gif

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Viva la guayabera!

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bexhill
You'll need a Cuban Shirt. There is no other type of shirt (Except Polo Shirts and T-Shirts) which can be worn untucked!
bigstar[1].gif

This post gets a special sticker:
unbranded-bullshit-stamp.jpg
Reminds me of the posts on AAAC where the Colonel Sanders wannabes talk about "dungarees" and how they can't be worn in public.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads