or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost - Page 5

post #61 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkinson View Post
Have you been back since they started the dessert mat where Achatz plates at your table? That was maybe the coolest course in any restaurant I've ever eaten. Grant Achatz, two feet away from you, doing what he does best.

Thank you for providing me with the next thing I must experience in life.
post #62 of 261
I'll order a filet at chain steakhouses on occasion just because it's more likely to actually come out mid-rare to rare than thinner cuts. If I cook steak for myself it's rarely any of the major steakhouse cuts anyway. I can get lesser cuts of grassfed cheaper than Big Ag ribeyes or whatever.

I know Bourdain hates the filet, 'it has no flavor' etc. etc. so I wonder if some of the foodie/chef-y backlash isn't a reaction to its place as the boring, safe cut for Middle American women.
post #63 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by SField View Post
sounds like some really fine dining establishments you've worked in....

Very nice restaurants, in fact. Everyone has a different opinion and I simply expressed mine and that of many chefs. I certainly can understand that you dislike ribeye, but I love the full flavors of ribeye. I have an AOS in Culinary Arts, a BS in Food Service Management, and a Masters in Hospitality Management. I put 15 years into high-end restaurants and I've been a chef-instructor for the past 15. In addition, I'm a certified chef with the American Culinary Federation. Those qualifications means nothing in regards to whether or not you or I like beef tenderloin, but I can say from experience that most chefs wouldn't be caught dead ordering filet mignon in a restaurant. I've cooked & sold plenty of filet mignon. It's easy to cook, easy to sell and makes a great presentation, but I always considered the person ordering a ribeye, skirt, or hanger steak to be a real beef fan. Again, I'm not knocking what you like, just letting you know most chefs aren't huge fans of filet mignon.

This is from Anthony Bourdain:
They also think they're going to impress [chef and Top Chef judge] Tom Colicchio with filet mignon. Any chef who has been in the business for any length of time is just bored to death by filet mignon. To see people use that as an ingredient over and over again, they lose points right away. You can see Tom die a little whenever anybody uses it.

I'm not suggesting Anthony Bourdain is any type of super-chef, but he's brutally honest.
post #64 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Thank you for providing me with the next thing I must experience in life.

It's great. Very cool. I've seen tables talk to him and he'll spend 5 minutes at the table explaining things and whatnot. I think it's nice to just sit there and watch him work. The intensity on his face, the care in his eyes, the way a bare flick of his spoon makes a perfect little sauce dribble. The guy was born to be a chef.
post #65 of 261
Thread Starter 
Attempting to ignore the idiotic drivel about filet mignon being for women and non-connoisseurs (StyleForum, Texas Roadhouse Edition?), I would like to point out that as I eat steak between three and five times a week on average, that the filet allows me a taste that I truly enjoy, very simple preparation, and is also lower in fat and cholesterol than the other cuts, especially the ribeye. Last week I had a porterhouse, two filets, and a prime ribeye, and I prefer the filets hands down.
post #66 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Attempting to ignore the idiotic drivel about filet mignon being for women and non-connoisseurs (StyleForum, Texas Roadhouse Edition?), I would like to point out that as I eat steak between three and five times a week on average, that the filet allows me a taste that I truly enjoy, very simple preparation, and is also lower in fat and cholesterol than the other cuts, especially the ribeye. Last week I had a porterhouse, two filets, and a prime ribeye, and I prefer the filets hands down.
I don't think anyone on this thread actually endorsed the opinion that filet mignon is "a woman's steak" (whatever that's supposed to mean) -- rather, they just stated that this is an opinion commonly expressed among chef/food-snob types, which I have also noticed to be the case. And I do wonder whether this idea has influenced my own opinion of filet mignon; I'll pick one up this week and try to enjoy it without prejudice. If you are concerned about fat and cholesterol, do you ever eat top sirloin? It's leaner than filet mignon and has a similar but stronger flavor. Rounds are leaner still, of course, but if you like tender meat, they won't do. I think people avoid these cuts simply because they are cheap and thus assumed to be shitty.
post #67 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Attempting to ignore the idiotic drivel about filet mignon being for women and non-connoisseurs (StyleForum, Texas Roadhouse Edition?), I would like to point out that as I eat steak between three and five times a week on average, that the filet allows me a taste that I truly enjoy, very simple preparation, and is also lower in fat and cholesterol than the other cuts, especially the ribeye. Last week I had a porterhouse, two filets, and a prime ribeye, and I prefer the filets hands down.
so you enjoy womanly cuts, and often. i consume even more beef more frequently, and nothing rivals the ribeye. even a humble rump cap (picanha) or simple flank taste meatier and better. i entertain myself with the tenderloin beef once in a while, and even a serving of lomo from la cabrera (possibly the best in argentina) was disappointing ..... rectified with a subsequent order of bife de ojo
post #68 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post
so you enjoy womanly cuts, and often. i consume even more beef more frequently, and nothing rivals the ribeye. even a humble rump cap (picanha) or simple flank taste meatier and better. i entertain myself with the tenderloin beef once in a while, and even a serving of homo from la cabrera (possibly the best in argentina) was disappointing ..... rectified with a subsequent order of big de pene!
It's nice that you're an avid and frequent connoisseur of large pieces of meat. It must make your boyfriend happy.
post #69 of 261
vagihurt much? switch to celery and carrots if youre so concerned about fittin into your skirts.
post #70 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post
vagihurt much? switch to celery and carrots if youre so concerned about fittin into your skirts.
I replied positively to your extremely homoerotic boasting, where you expressed your love for large meat, your disinterest in small meat, and your pretentious fondness for using Spanish terms for the same in English writing. You were also certain to tell me where you ate and that you enjoy meat more frequently than I do. Why so negative?
post #71 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Last week I had a porterhouse, two filets, and a prime ribeye, and I prefer the filets hands down.

Bet it was awesome with your virgin strawberry daiquiri.
post #72 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
and your pretentious fondness for using Spanish terms for the same in English writing
imagine how strange it is that brazilian and argentine restaurants dont print menus in english

post #73 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post
imagine how strange it is that brazilian and argentine restaurants dont print menus in english
Imagine how strange it is that this thread is not about Brazilian and Argentine restaurants nor your meat preferences. At least admit you're a douche bag.
post #74 of 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by username79 View Post
Imagine how strange it is that this thread is not about Brazilian and Argentine restaurants nor your meat preferences. At least admit you're a douche bag.
move the thread to username79.diary.com if youre hurt by opinions on a public forum
post #75 of 261
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde View Post
move the thread to username79.diary.com if youre hurt by opinions on a public forum
It's not that I'm hurt by the opinions, it's that I find them asinine and surprisingly stupid considering the demographic of this forum. For some reason steak appears to elicit chest thumping, homoerotic size comparisons, and baseless gender associations from otherwise (seemingly) highly educated individuals. Your post is a rather humorous case study in unsolicited one-upmanship and pretension. Insecure much, but why? A more subtle version of the F150 driver who makes fun of the M3 driver at a gas station because he "can't haul cargo" and "drives a little car." Stupidity mixed with insecurity. Interesting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Results of a healthy diet experiment and cost