• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Needing ideas for a completely new hairstyle - M/20

trentarren

Reaction score
I'm going through a big life change right now, and as part of it I'm going to try and completely redo my whole self-image. I'm looking to start off with a new haircut, but I have NO idea what passes for style today. (Obviously; I thought my ponytail looked really good) I'm willing to cut it short if it would look good on me. I haven't had to do much other than brush it back and wrap a band around it, so I haven't had any real experience in the way of hair product. That means gel, spray, or anything put on the hair that isn't shampoo or conditioner (I use garnier fructis triple protection - and suggestions on shampoo are welcome as well). I am THAT new at fashion and whatnot. I'm 20 and live in texas, so I'll be outside in hundred degree+ heat for months on end over the summer. I have sort of thin hair that lays pretty flat, with a bit of a "cow lick" (is that a word?) on the back. It isn't too dry or oily, and any hair that isn't in a hairband gets tossed up at the slightest hint of a breeze. It's also my natural hair color. I've got blue eyes and I am really, really pale, if that factors into what looks good or not. I'm a college student studying computer science, so I'm OK with a 'new' experimental cut or something - I don't mind being a bit odd.

I know my photography skills suck - I took these just to post here, because I don't have any of me that are close up and casual. Any suggestion on what kind of glasses to get would be welcome as well. If you could post pictures that go with hairstyle descriptions, I'd be able to understand it a lot more. Thanks.

Again, I know I look like a girl and I'm ugly. Thanks, internet, I don't need to hear it again.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey man style starts with confidence so start with not hating on yourself. You can have the best hair, outfit or whatnot but if you don't carry yourself confidently it'll still look like crap

Next: cut your hair so you don't look like a blond Highlander or Steven Segal

trentarren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
Hey man style starts with confidence so start with not hating on yourself. You can have the best hair, outfit or whatnot but if you don't carry yourself confidently it'll still look like crap

Next: cut your hair so you don't look like a blond Highlander or Steven Segal

I'm trying to work on the confidence part
biggrin.gif
Do you have any suggestions as to what would look good?

Classically

Reaction score
Personally, I'd start with getting rid of the pony tail. Your ponytail really does look like it belongs on a girl. You might want to try cutting your short short into a classic style (think Mad Men) or a crew cut. Alternatively, if you want to keep it longish, you can just let it hang loose Fabio style but well-brushed and combed. On a side note, contacts are your friends or at least get glasses that don't look like Granny specs.

And second to what J'aime said.

Kris

Reaction score
Years of sedentary computer-sitting have taken a toll on you. Set aside 30 minutes a day (to start) to get some exercise. Just take a brisk walk for 30 minutes a day for the next 3 weeks, then change it to an hour a day for the next 6 weeks. Then start jogging. Then start running. Its not your hair, glasses or face... It's your neglect of your health and fitness. Show the world what a beautiful swan you really are. Go from zero to hero. And get some tissues for your issues, girlfriend.

trentarren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kris
Years of sedentary computer-sitting have taken a toll on you. Set aside 30 minutes a day (to start) to get some exercise. Just take a brisk walk for 30 minutes a day for the next 3 weeks, then change it to an hour a day for the next 6 weeks. Then start jogging. Then start running. Its not your hair, glasses or face... It's your neglect of your health and fitness. Show the world what a beautiful swan you really are. Go from zero to hero. And get some tissues for your issues, girlfriend.
I've actually just started something called HIIT. It doesn't take long to do, but I hurt like hell from doing it. I appreciate the advice so far, but I was really hoping someone would post a picture of a hairstyle and say "this would look good on your head, Trent." I can't really visualize what a 'good' style for me is.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by trentarren
I've actually just started something called HIIT. It doesn't take long to do, but I hurt like hell from doing it. I appreciate the advice so far, but I was really hoping someone would post a picture of a hairstyle and say "this would look good on your head, Trent." I can't really visualize what a 'good' style for me is.
If you're in college still, sign up for a martial arts. You get exercise and the ability to rip someone's arm off with your pinky. It takes more time than some psychotic 30 minute workout but you'll feel better about yourself and can see some improvement. As for the hair style, look online. Here's a small primer:
male_hairstyles.gif
With your hair, I would say go for wavy. Your head reminds me of one of my teachers in high school and his hair looked good in a wavy style cut even though he was more of a yellower blond.

Reaction score
I suggest maybe a different hair color. The blonde just sets up the whole woman look. If you want to stick with long hair, go with maybe a darker color like dark brown or black. If your gonna go short, you can keep a bit of blonde but make it like a dirty blonde with more dark then bright.

trentarren

Reaction score
I've looked over a lot of hairstyles and found the following that I like
hair5.jpg
My favorite
hair4.jpg
Cool but IDK about all the wavy stuff. I don't think I can pull that off
hair2.jpg
hair3.jpg
Both cool but I don't know if I could look good with either of those
hair1.jpg
Comedy option - I think I'd look like a douchebag, but I can't help but think this is cool. Lots of styling daily is probably required, though
hair7.jpg
This is my new favorite style. I mean the guy on the right. I like my hair color the way it is, and I've never really considered dying it - is it really something I should consider?

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're doing it backwards

Lose 30 pounds
Shave head

Get contacts

Then decide on hair style as it grows in

Parting your hair down the middle like the little emo ***** kid you posted above will do nothing for you. You already know you have features that look feminine. Therefore, you can't carry any weight. Lose the weight till your jaw is as defined as possible and you look the best that you can. Then decide on what to do with your hair. ******* with your hair is entirely secondary at this point.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the exercise comments are #1 at this point, but to keep this on topic...

I think the best idea for your hair is to keep it classic. All the styles above are really fashion forward and aggressive. That's fine, but you may not want to jump into all this too fast. Personally, I think you would do well with a McQueen-esque haircut. It might seem a little boring, but clean-cut and understated will carry farther than you might think. Check out a few photos.

Steve.jpg

MV5BMTA0NTA3NTY5ODBeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDczNTkyNg@@._V1._SX450_SY347_.jpg

steve-mcqueen-792106.jpg

trentarren

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies thus far. I like the second McQueen cut pretty well. If the internet cares, I'm going through a 'life change' by getting out of a nearly 4 year relationship. I've realized just how out of touch with myself I am, and I've started a whole series of self-improvement things. I've already started doing weights daily (I may only be able to lift a 60lb barbell, but at least I'm doing it - this is the exercise I'm doing) and I've been cutting out all of the sodas (3-4 a day) and other ****** foods from my diet. I'm not going with contacts. Sorry, I'm a computer science major and a nerd for life, so the glasses are here to stay. I am looking at new frames as well, so we'll see what those do for me. Right now, that 2nd pic AntiHero84 posted and the one of the guy holding the award are my two favorites, so I may just bring those two to a stylist and say "I want something in between, so surprise me" and see what comes out. It'll be a few more days before I go in, so I'll keep looking for advice here and post a pic of whatever I get done after.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea on doing the 5x5 workout. A lot of the guys here have been touting that lately. Cardio is also very good for helping overall endurance.

The diet change will also help. Cutting out sodas and switching to water is probably one of the best things you can do right now. When I stopped drinking soda, I would occasionally drink some flavored seltzer water. It satisfies the urge to have something fizzy, but it won't load you up with empty calories.

Regarding your hair, if you give a hair stylist that much freedom, make sure you're going to a decent place, not some generic Supercuts. If you use the latter, I think you're bound to be disappointed.

Be careful not to try and change too much too soon. It's easy to get burnt out. What you're doing right now sounds good, but don't overdo yourself.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hair1.jpg

While this is too aggressive, the general idea of having longer hair on top, shorter sides, will elongate and give a thinning effect to your face until you can lose some weight. Is that blonde your natural hair color? If so, it's fairly unique and you have that on your side. Lose the glasses and hit the weights and things will dramatically change. Weightlifting and exercise sucks for the first few months, but after that your body will get addicted to it and it will be hard not to do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads