or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Refusal to sell...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Refusal to sell... - Page 5

post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
2. Sellers think it's less reliable/more likely to get lost. I would like to see some evidence of this. When a package goes awry in the states, it's bad luck and USPS' crummy service. But if it goes awry overseas, it must be because international shipping is untrustworthy. I don't see any logical causation in that. In my experience, the UK's royal mail and the French la poste are two of the most reliable postal services in the world. I've never had any trouble with Australian mail, either. I do admit there seems to be a pattern of products shipped to Canada getting lost/stuck indefinitely at customs, but that's one country. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

There are two issues here: First, not all mail systems are equal. You might have no trouble with the UK's Royal Mail -- probably won't -- but I wouldn't roll the dice on Canada, much less Italy. There are all sorts of countries with unreliable mail systems, and I don't know enough about what's what to say which is which.

Two, I don't even find the domestic mail consistently reliable. I've had a dozen letters and a package misdelivered to my house in the last two weeks. Had I been so inclined, I could have some free merch right now.

When I ship domestically, I insure every item above, say, $50, often out of my own pocket. But I can't do that for overseas buyers. If one of our longtime UK regulars wanted me to send an item the cheap way, and agreed not to hold me responsible if it didn't arrive, I'd probably do it. But a guy with 20 posts in Korea? No way.
post #62 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
There are two issues here: First, not all mail systems are equal. You might have no trouble with the UK's Royal Mail -- probably won't -- but I wouldn't roll the dice on Canada, much less Italy. There are all sorts of countries with unreliable mail systems, and I don't know enough about what's what to say which is which.

Two, I don't even find the domestic mail consistently reliable. I've had a dozen letters and a package misdelivered to my house in the last two weeks. Had I been so inclined, I could have some free merch right now.

When I ship domestically, I insure every item above, say, $50, often out of my own pocket. But I can't do that for overseas buyers. If one of our longtime UK regulars wanted me to send an item the cheap way, and agreed not to hold me responsible if it didn't arrive, I'd probably do it. But a guy with 20 posts in Korea? No way.

I find that reasonable and it's all I ask. I am just trying to dispel a blanket stigma to instead convince people that things need to be dealt with a case-by-case basis.
post #63 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
But no reasonable international buyer is going to ask you to eat a shipping surcharge. I always offer to pay the difference in shipping, upfront.

I regularly get PMs from people outside of the US that say, essentially, "Why should I pay X for shipping, when the item costs only X," sometimes even after I give them a link to the USPS site that shows that I'm charging the exact cost of shipping. Don't assume that because you behave in a certain way, everyone on Styleforum does.

I've had plenty of great transactions with international buyers. I also refuse to sell in a way that exposes me to unnecessary risk.
post #64 of 68
I do this when selling stuff on craigslist. Never sold anything here though.
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmin209 View Post
I regularly get PMs from people outside of the US that say, essentially, "Why should I pay X for shipping, when the item costs only X," sometimes even after I give them a link to the USPS site that shows that I'm charging the exact cost of shipping. Don't assume that because you behave in a certain way, everyone on Styleforum does.

I've had plenty of great transactions with international buyers. I also refuse to sell in a way that exposes me to unnecessary risk.

Well, those people would be unreasonable.

Most sellers I've bought from explicitly state that international shipping will either be included or be extra. I think that's a pretty good policy.
post #66 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
There are two issues here: First, not all mail systems are equal. You might have no trouble with the UK's Royal Mail -- probably won't -- but I wouldn't roll the dice on Canada, much less Italy. There are all sorts of countries with unreliable mail systems, and I don't know enough about what's what to say which is which.
When you say "roll the dice" you are talking about shipping without insurance, not just shipping anything to Canada under any circumstances, right (I hope)? I am communicating by email with a SF member about a belt. He has been trying to sell this and a number of other items since December, which is the last time he bumped his selling thread for price drops. I just offered him $20 more than he originally quoted for continental shipping to cover the cost of sending to Canada, and after four months of nobody buying his fucking item he actually had the gall to reply, just now, with "throw in an extra $15 to cover shipping and it's a deal." What!?!? The guy responds to emails once a week at best and he hasn't been at all nasty but by the same token I'm not getting any pleasant, polite, helpful seller vibes from him either. Overall, I'm getting the feeling I shouldn't enter into this transaction at all -- but I want the goddamned belt, so I'm probably going to end up paying on CC and hoping I don't have to resort to a chargeback.
post #67 of 68
Yeah, I just mean shipping without insurance. I'll ship anywhere I can insure, and for regulars I'll ship if they agree not to hold me responsible if it doesn't make it to them.
post #68 of 68

Razele once told me he wouldn't sell me a jar of his own piss. Ever since then I've written off all of Australia.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Refusal to sell...