or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 9 Kick Ass Foreign Films Every Guy Should See
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

9 Kick Ass Foreign Films Every Guy Should See - Page 3

post #31 of 48
Seeing as how everything was contemporary/within the last decade, that makes the author out to be 16 years old.
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Sorry, haven't seen it actually....but Nick Cage....just put a bad taste in my mouth

I only like the movie with him where he bones John Travolta's wife. That was kinda funny.

Anyway, I shouldn't come off too much as a cinema snob. I always have my gf to put me in check when I'm feeling froggy by saying "What the fuck, you liked Bad Boys 2!!!"

Nick Cage isn't the world's greatest or even a versatile actor or anything, but he is pretty good in certain roles. This just happened to be a "Nick Cage role".
post #33 of 48
Irreversible!! It kicks a lot o' ass!!
post #34 of 48
^that movie actually rapes a lot of ass
post #35 of 48
I've only seen three foreign films so far (I'm 21), one of them sucked while the other two were ok, the perspectives are great though because they're so very different to western theatre. I can't remember the names of the films I saw because it was quite a long time ago (when I was a young teen) and they weren't english titles making them hard to remember, but if anyone could help me identify them from the descriptions below I would greatly appreciate it . One of them is a matrix rip-off shown entirely in green sepia with a woman who uses a mask to get to another world, I remember she feeds her pet elaborate meals when she's at home in her flat (I believe?). She is shown catching the train a bit and has a short bob-like haircut from memory. The ending has a beautiful philharmonic orchestra at a church I believe. Another I only vaguely remember but it won a big award I believe, it had a woman who was succesful or famous and then she went downhill and there was one scene where she kept asking these guys in an alley to fight her and they told her to fuck off and beat her up a bit then she kept persisting and they ended up stabbing her, but she lived. I think she cut her hair short after that and there was a sex scene with her hair short and she was very pale. The ending scene had a guy leaving on a bus looking back and I remember it was a sad ending (and before someone makes the joke, no it's not shawshank redemption :P) Last one is simple, was a japanese (asian at least) film where two twin japanese (?) sisters (I think assassins?) trying to kill eachother throughout the entire film, this was the whole movie and it was something about cheating on eachother's boyfriend or something but they go to great lengths to try to kill eachother and naturally they both end up killing themselves at the same time, this was kind of interesting to watch though as the fight was pretty damn ridiculous and quite gory from memory. The movie's title I remember being very short and potentially having numbers in it.
post #36 of 48
No Santo equals quadruple fail.

post #37 of 48
I don't think anyone's mentioned Bicycle Thieves, which is one of the first foreign films I ever watched. It's a great film (and I mean "great") that depicts the struggle of men as the bread-winner within a hard and unfair world.
post #38 of 48
Some non-U.S. films that I liked were e.g. Kung-fu Hustle, Shichinin no Samurai, The Killer, Belle de Jour, Le Mepris, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange or Zulu with Michael Caineand and very many British programs like Brideshead, Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster.
post #39 of 48
i forgot how good infernal affairs was. so much better than the departed. need to rewatch it.
post #40 of 48
The main offerings here are foreign films. Unfortunately a lot of them are from Hollywood.

Although there are a few from England, NZ, Ireland, Europe, Scandinavia, Russia as well as Bollywood and a small roster of local films.

One good foreign film I saw last week was Crazy Heart - they aren't all bad....
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher;3142578



Oh, he was much more than that. His use of broad, huge shots, colors, and pacing were, if not original (see John Ford and DW Griffith, for example), brilliant. As I said last year in my "underappreciated films" thread, [I
Kagemusha[/i] is compelling, gorgeous, touching...just masterfully done, and I wouldn't tie it in with spaghetti westerns in any way.

The Bad Sleep Well was on TCM recently and it was so good we rented it and watched it again a few days later. A highly recommended contemporary Kurosawa flick.
post #42 of 48
No La Femme Nikita = yet another fail
post #43 of 48
Have just watched the foreign Oscar winner, The Secret In Their Eyes, from Argentina. Very nice.
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoX101 View Post
I can't remember the names of the films I saw because it was quite a long time ago (when I was a young teen) and they weren't english titles making them hard to remember, but if anyone could help me identify them from the descriptions below I would greatly appreciate it .

One of them is a matrix rip-off shown entirely in green sepia with a woman who uses a mask to get to another world, I remember she feeds her pet elaborate meals when she's at home in her flat (I believe?). She is shown catching the train a bit and has a short bob-like haircut from memory. The ending has a beautiful philharmonic orchestra at a church I believe.

Avalon. And seriously, suggesting that Mamoru Oshii ripped off the Matrix is hilarious.

Quote:
Another I only vaguely remember but it won a big award I believe, it had a woman who was succesful or famous and then she went downhill and there was one scene where she kept asking these guys in an alley to fight her and they told her to fuck off and beat her up a bit then she kept persisting and they ended up stabbing her, but she lived. I think she cut her hair short after that and there was a sex scene with her hair short and she was very pale. The ending scene had a guy leaving on a bus looking back and I remember it was a sad ending (and before someone makes the joke, no it's not shawshank redemption :P)

No idea.

Last one is simple, was a japanese (asian at least) film where two twin japanese (?) sisters (I think assassins?) trying to kill eachother throughout the entire film, this was the whole movie and it was something about cheating on eachother's boyfriend or something but they go to great lengths to try to kill eachother and naturally they both end up killing themselves at the same time, this was kind of interesting to watch though as the fight was pretty damn ridiculous and quite gory from memory. The movie's title I remember being very short and potentially having numbers in it.[/quote]

2LDK. They weren't sisters or assassins, they were roommates who got out of hand competing over a boyfriend and a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post
I don't think anyone's mentioned Bicycle Thieves, which is one of the first foreign films I ever watched. It's a great film (and I mean "great") that depicts the struggle of men as the bread-winner within a hard and unfair world.

Absolutely agree, but I wouldn't characterize it as a "Kick Ass" film. It is completely amazing, and should be seen, but there's not a whole lot of ass kicking going on in it.
post #45 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Sorry, haven't seen it actually....but Nick Cage....just put a bad taste in my mouth

I only like the movie with him where he bones John Travolta's wife. That was kinda funny.

Anyway, I shouldn't come off too much as a cinema snob. I always have my gf to put me in check when I'm feeling froggy by saying "What the fuck, you liked Bad Boys 2!!!"

so you are criticizing a movie without even seeing it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › 9 Kick Ass Foreign Films Every Guy Should See