or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Eat, lift, and grow big
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Eat, lift, and grow big - Page 5

post #61 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501 View Post
Gotta say, your attitude is pretty fucking self righteous man. If words such as "autoregulation" are making you run for the exit that is pretty damn sad.

Here's a simple thought....before calling a program FUCKING BULLSHIT why not take a look at the science behind it and maybe, you know, try it? Only arrogant pinheads such as yourself would discount a program based on actual science and real world results (go ahead, look into it; it's not hype) by an add for a supplement (which isn't required, as is stated) and the bold claims. I guess I shouldn't expect much more out a fashion forum where group think permeates and new ideas are shat upon.

But whatever; you keep thinking T-Nation is bullshit and I'll keep going to the gym and following the program. If a program that has increased my bench by 30 lbs, deadlift by 50 lbs, and overhead press by 20 lbs in 3 months is bullshit I think I'll keep following the bullshit.

Go back to the bolded text in my post. This thread is for schooling newbies on how to get started. The last thing newbies need is to be reading T-Nation and all the horseshit that goes on there. Congratulations if you're able to wade through that mass of crap and find a program that works for you.

Newbies, and pretty much everyone who hasn't hit their appropriate strength standards will benefit from doing a no-nonsense strength program. The problem with T NATION and T MUSCLE and BODYBUILDING SITES IN ALL CAPS is that every fucking week some competition bodybuilder shows up, throws down a routine, then the circlejerk joins and every no-xplod huffing bro hops on. Ohh but it gets you great results! Guess what, all programs produce results. Me jerking off every night to increase my sexual stamina produces results.

It's not like these guys are using "omfg science!!" to substantiate their claims. Nearly every program involving sensible exercise choice, followed consistently, will produce results. Claiming that shit like I, BODYBUILDER is the shit is retarded. Guess what! I doubled nearly all of my lifts in the past year since using a routine from ironaddicts! Does that mean its the best? No, it means I didn't fuck around with hype and horseshit, something that T-NATION is notorious for. I kept it simple, ate well, lifted well, and didn't look for the ULTIMATE ROUTINE and didn't add an exercise here or there, nor did I track every single lift and put it into an excel spreadsheet to compare the gains made when I drank skim milk vs 2%.

Keep it simple, newbies... eat a lot, be consistent, and don't be a hype victim. There are lots of sites and products promising superhuman results. You'll get superhuman results when you're consistent and don't subscribe to shit that seriously discusses sex and the male animal. Give me a fucking break.

Again, if it works for you rikkar, great. Don't pollute newbies minds with the idea that t-nation is a legitimate and respected resource, because it's a reknowned source of crap.
post #62 of 128
Thread Starter 
Oh yeah, extra points for making me laugh when you derided "groupthink" in the same breath as promoting T-Nation.
post #63 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post
Go back to the bolded text in my post. This thread is for schooling newbies on how to get started. The last thing newbies need is to be reading T-Nation and all the horseshit that goes on there. Congratulations if you're able to wade through that mass of crap and find a program that works for you.

Newbies, and pretty much everyone who hasn't hit their appropriate strength standards will benefit from doing a no-nonsense strength program. The problem with T NATION and T MUSCLE and BODYBUILDING SITES IN ALL CAPS is that every fucking week some competition bodybuilder shows up, throws down a routine, then the circlejerk joins and every no-xplod huffing bro hops on. Ohh but it gets you great results! Guess what, all programs produce results. Me jerking off every night to increase my sexual stamina produces results.

It's not like these guys are using "omfg science!!" to substantiate their claims. Nearly every program involving sensible exercise choice, followed consistently, will produce results. Claiming that shit like I, BODYBUILDER is the shit is retarded. Guess what! I doubled nearly all of my lifts in the past year since using a routine from ironaddicts! Does that mean its the best? No, it means I didn't fuck around with hype and horseshit, something that T-NATION is notorious for. I kept it simple, ate well, lifted well, and didn't look for the ULTIMATE ROUTINE and didn't add an exercise here or there, nor did I track every single lift and put it into an excel spreadsheet to compare the gains made when I drank skim milk vs 2%.

Keep it simple, newbies... eat a lot, be consistent, and don't be a hype victim. There are lots of sites and products promising superhuman results. You'll get superhuman results when you're consistent and don't subscribe to shit that seriously discusses sex and the male animal. Give me a fucking break.

Again, if it works for you rikkar, great. Don't pollute newbies minds with the idea that t-nation is a legitimate and respected resource, because it's a reknowned source of crap.

You should check out my first post in this thread, jarude. Here, I'll quote it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
A couple more things: DO NOT fucking jump on a training program every time you pick up a magazine and see some cool new training program that Jay Cutler is using to prep for the Mr. Olympia!

No matter what your goals are you can not go wrong with a program centered around bench press, deadlifts, squats, and over-head presses. There is a reason these lifts have been staples for what, 100 years. THEY WORK, no matter if your goal is "toning", bulking, or athletic training.

I did not post a link to T-Nation for newbies to read; it was posted due to a question about the program I am currently doing. I have no problem directing newbies to T-Nation, however. Your comments lead me to believe that you have never spent time on the site, as you are seriously deluded if you think that T-N consists of new routines posted by pro-bodybuilders every week and no-explode fanbois circle-jerking.

Take a look at the authors of the articles: Dave Tate, legendary powerlifter and founder of Elite FTS (one of the most hardcore powerlifting gyms out there), Dr. Clay Hyght, competitive bodybuilder for 17 years and now a strength coach to fitness professionals, Dan John (just wikipedia the guy, he is a very accomplished strength and conditioning coach, oh and shocker, preaches adherence to basic weight training principles), the list goes on way longer than I care to detail here. My point is that these authors are highly respected in their fields, they do not hype supplements (most advocate very few if any), and let's face it, they know what they are doing.

Quote:
No, it means I didn't fuck around with hype and horseshit, something that T-NATION is notorious for.

Ok, now I'm certain you know nothing about T-Nation! T-Nation is "notorious" for advocating simple lifting, no machine bullshit, clean & quality eating, and not believing the hype. Those who are refuse to acknowledge good principles because of a personal bias are the most ignorant.

When I want advise on how to become stronger, I go to those who are stronger than me and learn. This is what works for me, you do what works for you. Just please do not attempt to bash a site and its authors when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. That's not what this thread is about.
post #64 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
Good way to burst a hemorrhoid.

post #65 of 128
Tnation does have plenty of good articles, but there is some trash to wade through. I like going to the source and scanning elitefts's site. Once you start to get more advanced this is an amazing resource. On a side note, I saw Matt Wenning at a powerlifting meet a few months back, an elitefts contributer and member of the 2700lb club. Man is a fricken mountain.
post #66 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post
Yet another reason why bodybuilders are fucking fairies. One look at that website and terms like "autoregulation" and that gi-fucking-gantic ad for anaconda immediately got the X clicked in the top right hand corner.

This thread is about schooling newbies on how to get started. If you want to get started on body image issues and the eventual development of bigorexia, sure, hop onto T MUSCLE read shit like
"If you want superhuman results, you have to train with superhuman intensity. And to do that, you have to utilize the ANACONDA Protocol. It's true. The ANACONDA Protocol is a painstakingly researched, peri-workout dosing plan that's designed to potentiate anabolic physiology to the point of superhuman responses when training at advanced levels."

If that didn't set off a giant THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT alarm in your head, maybe weightlifting isn't for you. Hint: they're trying to sell you something, that should make you question their claims of their program being the best. If you want to buy into SUPER ULTRA MEGA HYPERTROPHY BODYBUILDER XXX MUSCLE then sure, join the circlejerk. There's a reason all of you fucking clowns sit there in front of the mirror flexing and checking yourselves out.

If, on the other hand, you're interested in the pursuit of functional strength and general fitness, maybe you could benefit from keeping it simple and sticking to the basics. Oh but wait, this new routine came out that this experienced bodybuilder did! Time to switch again! Fuck off. No amount of hyped-up programs or shitty advertising OR TALKING IN ALL CAPS ABOUT XXXTREME MUSCLE is going to change the fact that this industry is fed by fucking idiots buying into the hype.

Eat well. Lift hard. Don't worry about THE PERFECT REP or getting SUPERHUMAN RESULTS. And for the love of God and all things good and holy, don't support T-Nation.

this.
post #67 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501 View Post
T-Nation is "notorious" for advocating simple lifting, no machine bullshit, clean & quality eating, and not believing the hype.

Don't forget selling lots of supplements. They do that, too. BUT I'm here to support you. Everything you say is true. There are certainly other sources of info, but that site has helped me get in the best shape I've ever been in. If you need a program to follow that will work, they have it.
post #68 of 128
what are the best triceps exercises other than dips? at my college gym there's only one place to do dips and theres always a fucking wait, so I need a good alternative
post #69 of 128
you can't work in?
post #70 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
what are the best triceps exercises other than dips? at my college gym there's only one place to do dips and theres always a fucking wait, so I need a good alternative

I love tricep pulldowns with the rope not the bar
Tricep extensions are effective for me. I do them either one at a time or heavy with one dumbbell.
Diamond pushups work too.

The best though is weighted dips so if you can sneak in or plan your w/o to have it free I definitely would.


re: the back-and-forth above
Don't bother with those one bodypart per day pro-bb workout routines. They did not get that big or start out with a program like that. They started (if they were smart) with a simple strenght routine focusing on compound exercises. I wouldn't bother with that until you are - or could be - an IFBB pro. The routine might be great for them but that doesn't make it appropriate for YOU
post #71 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
I have a bar and some dumbbells but no power rack or bench. Gym is not an option. What can I do?

hmm try p90x
post #72 of 128
squat, deadlift, benchpress, pushup, pullup, chinup, lots of food and DEDICATION = win
post #73 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarude View Post
Newbies, and pretty much everyone who hasn't hit their appropriate strength standards will benefit from doing a no-nonsense strength program. The problem with T NATION and T MUSCLE and BODYBUILDING SITES IN ALL CAPS is that every fucking week some competition bodybuilder shows up, throws down a routine, then the circlejerk joins and every no-xplod huffing bro hops on. Ohh but it gets you great results! Guess what, all programs produce results.

+1. I haven't been to any of the above sites, but I agree in principle. Everyone tries to build the ideal routine, hoping that it will somehow miraculously make the fit without any work. The truth is they spend too much time thinking about lifting, rather then just lifting.

I've recommended these "basic" programs to my friends. They think they are too "advanced" and they would rather construct their own "special" routine. Well, years later, they are still just as fat and just as weak as they were before because they rather talk then work at something so common sense (big lifts, eat and sleep).
post #74 of 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post
what are the best triceps exercises other than dips? at my college gym there's only one place to do dips and theres always a fucking wait, so I need a good alternative
Close grip bench presses and reverse grip bench presses. If you find your conventional bp stalling, throw in reverse grips. Tons of top power lifters swear by them. Edit: PJR pullovers are good if you are more interested in extensions, although I prefer to do presses for a muscle if i can.
post #75 of 128
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikkar501 View Post
You should check out my first post in this thread, jarude. Here, I'll quote it for you:

I did not post a link to T-Nation for newbies to read; it was posted due to a question about the program I am currently doing. I have no problem directing newbies to T-Nation, however. Your comments lead me to believe that you have never spent time on the site, as you are seriously deluded if you think that T-N consists of new routines posted by pro-bodybuilders every week and no-explode fanbois circle-jerking.

Take a look at the authors of the articles: Dave Tate, legendary powerlifter and founder of Elite FTS (one of the most hardcore powerlifting gyms out there), Dr. Clay Hyght, competitive bodybuilder for 17 years and now a strength coach to fitness professionals, Dan John (just wikipedia the guy, he is a very accomplished strength and conditioning coach, oh and shocker, preaches adherence to basic weight training principles), the list goes on way longer than I care to detail here. My point is that these authors are highly respected in their fields, they do not hype supplements (most advocate very few if any), and let's face it, they know what they are doing.
Ok, now I'm certain you know nothing about T-Nation! T-Nation is "notorious" for advocating simple lifting, no machine bullshit, clean & quality eating, and not believing the hype. Those who are refuse to acknowledge good principles because of a personal bias are the most ignorant.

When I want advise on how to become stronger, I go to those who are stronger than me and learn. This is what works for me, you do what works for you. Just please do not attempt to bash a site and its authors when you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. That's not what this thread is about.



I've spent enough time on T-Nation to know it's a hole. Namedrop all you'd like. I also go to people stronger than me to learn; it just happens that those people just don't try to sell me ANACONDA or tell me why I should protect my balls.

Teger there's a bazillion tri exercises, find one you like, doesn't really matter - I like skullcrushers and db extensions.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › Eat, lift, and grow big