or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advise on Dress Shirts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advise on Dress Shirts - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the responses. It would seem that both Lewin and Jantzen end up in the $50 range. How would you guys compare the two in terms of quality? Thanks
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo
At least i do not persuade myself that jantzen shirts are $200+ value.*



It's a pity that their shirts are even below jantzen-grade quality, because i was almost considering to give them a try.


*was not meant personally
Not taken personally. You might try Jovan for a second opinion on BB quality. The fabric's not terrible by any means (I've seen far worse on some OTR shirts), but it feels a bit heavy and coarse to me, and lacks the "sheen" I like on the better Jantzen fabrics. Although BB also has a slightly more expensive fabric, which I have not tried, so that might not be a fair comparison.
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Not taken personally. You might try Jovan for a second opinion on BB quality. The fabric's not terrible by any means (I've seen far worse on some OTR shirts), but it feels a bit heavy and coarse to me, and lacks the "sheen" I like on the better Jantzen fabrics. Although BB also has a slightly more expensive fabric, which I have not tried, so that might not be a fair comparison.

What fabric did you choose from Baron? I am thinking about trying either them or Jantzen for my first MTMs. I tend to be impatient, though, which is why I'm leaning toward Baron. I guess I could start with one of each and compare. I tend to prefer beefy shirts with more body to them, like oxford cloth and twills, even for summer.
post #19 of 30
Land's End (landsend.com) has MTM shirts in the 50-100 USD price range. The fabric quality and construction are good, but they have somewhat limited design and fabric options. But at least they arrive on time and don't require overseas calls to prod the owner into making them.

I'm also preparing to try mytailor.com for shirts. Theirs are 60-120 USD.

Steve
post #20 of 30
The problem with Land's End MTM program for me is that I have different size shoulders/arm lengths and the website does not seem to accommodate this.
post #21 of 30
I'll add in my 2c on MyTailer (Hemrajani) shirts. I definately think most people should try at least one internet MTM shirt.

I've only tried a light-blue herringbone from their $75ish line. The price is a notch higher than Jantzen and BB, which can hurt if you want to order a batch of shirts.
Response is good, wait is about a month. Quality is good, fabric is better than Banana/Boss/etc.; not comparable to my Borrellis, but a MTM fit will most likely be better than anything you can get OTR. Sleeves shrink a lot after multiple washings. Also you'd probably want to specify stuff like split yoke and MOP buttons, but that's up to you. I can't find anything really bad with them for that price though, so I would say try them out.

I'm still waiting on some shirts from Jantzen from about 2 months ago... his customer service truly is terrible, I would hesitate to recommend him for a first try at web-order shirts. Get a nice fitting one from Hemrajani or somewhere else so the wait and re-wait for Jantzen doesn't kill you.
post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 
I know I asked this already but I didn't see a response so I will ask again. How would you compare Lewin and Jantzen in terms of quality?

Thanks
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirk
What fabric did you choose from Baron? I am thinking about trying either them or Jantzen for my first MTMs. I tend to be impatient, though, which is why I'm leaning toward Baron. I guess I could start with one of each and compare. I tend to prefer beefy shirts with more body to them, like oxford cloth and twills, even for summer.
I ordered a white cotton twill the first time around, a pink/coral oxford the second time around. I like the second one a bit better, perhaps because the color makes the mediocre fabric less apparent. They also have a more expensive line of solids and a line of stripes at the same price (roughly $59 if I recall correctly) which I haven't tried. The Oxford isn't terrible, and fwiw my wife really likes it (she wasn't wearing it, so that's more a comment on the color than the feel). It is a bit of a heavier fabric, so you may well like it.
Baron also has some brief comments on his site about each type of fabric, which may be helpful to you. He also seems to be pretty responsive, so maybe if you're unable to decide between fabrics you can email him re what you're looking for and he can recommend one.
post #24 of 30
right now with all of the final clearance sales going on, you can find many designer shirts for $75 or less. Just saw some nice Etro shirts at Neimans that are about $60 after all the discounts. And the larger sizes have more selection to choose from.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShareef
I know I asked this already but I didn't see a response so I will ask again. How would you compare Lewin and Jantzen in terms of quality?

Thanks

This is a very tricky question. Jantzen makes an excellent shirt, in terms of construction, but the product overall can be very inconsistent. Lewin is going to be much more predictable, both in terms of quality and service. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Let's start with Jantzen. Not long ago, someone posted closeups of a Jantzen and an Oxxford shirt and asked if the posters here could tell which was which. Most identified the Jantzen because it had better pattern matching. These small details matter highly to me, and I still find it amazing to find such nice work on a $40 MTM-by-mail shirt.

That said, some Jantzen fabrics are much nicer than others; some are excellent, but we've had reports of others that are simply poor. (You're better off paying the small premium for their most expensive fabrics, I hear.)

Combine the unpredictable fabric with the possibility for mistakes to happen and the difficulties of self-measurement and you get disappointed folks like Mumbojumbo. Others of us have been luckier. I've yet to have a bad experience, and am among those who have persuaded themselves that Jantzen's work, when hitting on all cylinders, can rival $200 shirts. But it's a gamble. Is it worth $40 to take the chance? That's up to you.

Lewin, on the other hand, is going to be much more consistent. Lewin is Lewin. You'll get a good OTR shirt in a good fabric. They have an excellent satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like what you get, simply send it back. You can't do that with Jantzen. With Jantzen, you probably won't even get responses to e-mails. You'll have to pick up the phone and call Hong Kong if you have a concern or question.

That said, OTR shirts fit me like a tent. Lewin's cuffs would look oversized on my small wrists, and the body would hang on me like a sail. I'd have to have all the shirts tapered, adding to my costs. Suddenly my price has increased $15-$18 per shirt, and the fit is still going to be signicantly inferior to my Jantzens. But if Lewin's fit works well for you, or if Jantzen sounds like too much hassle, then Lewin is an excellent value.

Honestly, if you need a shirt in short order, if you're uncertain how you want your shirts to fit, if you put a premium on customer service, or if you own no shirts at all, I would avoid Jantzen. I see it as a great resource for those who have time, patience and the willingness to take a gamble. It's a great way to enhance a wardrobe inexpensively, but I wouldn't depend on it for the very basics if I were starting out.

Finally, I'd say this: I was pleased with Jantzen because I went into it expecting little. I expected to receive a $40 shirt and was pleased when I received much more. If your expectations differ, so might your ultimate satisfaction.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
This is a very tricky question. Jantzen makes an excellent shirt, in terms of construction, but the product overall can be very inconsistent. Lewin is going to be much more predictable, both in terms of quality and service. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Let's start with Jantzen. Not long ago, someone posted closeups of a Jantzen and an Oxxford shirt and asked if the posters here could tell which was which. Most identified the Jantzen because it had better pattern matching. These small details matter highly to me, and I still find it amazing to find such nice work on a $40 MTM-by-mail shirt.

That said, some Jantzen fabrics are much nicer than others; some are excellent, but we've had reports of others that are simply poor. (You're better off paying the small premium for their most expensive fabrics, I hear.)

Combine the unpredictable fabric with the possibility for mistakes to happen and the difficulties of self-measurement and you get disappointed folks like Mumbojumbo. Others of us have been luckier. I've yet to have a bad experience, and am among those who have persuaded themselves that Jantzen's work, when hitting on all cylinders, can rival $200 shirts. But it's a gamble. Is it worth $40 to take the chance? That's up to you.

Lewin, on the other hand, is going to be much more consistent. Lewin is Lewin. You'll get a good OTR shirt in a good fabric. They have an excellent satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like what you get, simply send it back. You can't do that with Jantzen. With Jantzen, you probably won't even get responses to e-mails. You'll have to pick up the phone and call Hong Kong if you have a concern or question.

That said, OTR shirts fit me like a tent. Lewin's cuffs would look oversized on my small wrists, and the body would hang on me like a sail. I'd have to have all the shirts tapered, adding to my costs. Suddenly my price has increased $15-$18 per shirt, and the fit is still going to be signicantly inferior to my Jantzens. But if Lewin's fit works well for you, or if Jantzen sounds like too much hassle, then Lewin is an excellent value.

Honestly, if you need a shirt in short order, if you're uncertain how you want your shirts to fit, if you put a premium on customer service, or if you own no shirts at all, I would avoid Jantzen. I see it as a great resource for those who have time, patience and the willingness to take a gamble. It's a great way to enhance a wardrobe inexpensively, but I wouldn't depend on it for the very basics if I were starting out.

Finally, I'd say this: I was pleased with Jantzen because I went into it expecting little. I expected to receive a $40 shirt and was pleased when I received much more. If your expectations differ, so might your ultimate satisfaction.
I agree with pretty much everything Doc said, but would add this gloss: If you're going to be building a wardrobe over time and are willing to "risk" $40, you might want to considering trying a Jantzen while filling your immediate needs through Lewin or whoever else. If your take on the Janzten shirt is closer to mumbojumbo's, you're out the cost of one shirt (and will have a single shirt that you may or may not get some use out of). If, like myself and Doc, you're pleased with Jantzen's product, you can fill out your wardrobe over time with additional orders. But Doc is definitely right - if you're not of a temperament that allows you to place the Jantzen order and basically forget about it until it happens to arrive in the mail, you probably should give it a pass.
post #27 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks Doc and Lawyer. Very insightful comments. There is a lot to be learned from reading these boards. I really appreciate it. I may try a shirt from Lewin and another from Jantzen. I'll probably get myself professionally measured before sending off my order.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DShareef
Thanks Doc and Lawyer. Very insightful comments. There is a lot to be learned from reading these boards. I really appreciate it. I may try a shirt from Lewin and another from Jantzen. I'll probably get myself professionally measured before sending off my order.
Good deal. Good luck with that. FWIW, a number of people have commented that Jantzen's "house style" tends to have quite large armholes. The conventional wisdom seems to be that unless you're built like alonzo mourning, you might want to ask them to raise the bottoms of the armholes a bit. That's what I did in my first (and subsequent) orders, and it seemed to work out well.
post #29 of 30
Thread Starter 
Good tip. A few years ago, I did have arms like Zo but they have long since departed. Thanks everyone for their insightful comments. I know similar questions have been asked in the past but I would assume that other newbies will find your comments helpful.
post #30 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpac
if you get them at the 4 for 100 GBP they're a good deal. They aren't all that slim fitting, but the fabrics are great, and at roughly $50 each including shipping you can afford to get them tailored a bit.

Lewin actually has a slim line now. You should check them out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Advise on Dress Shirts