or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › FS: Men's Clothing (Archive) › "Why was my thread locked?!!"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Why was my thread locked?!!" - Page 2  

post #16 of 394
Has the entire system of "tagging" gone away, or is it just because I'm using Google Chrome? As a buyer it was great to look for tags (39R, Caruso, etc).
post #17 of 394
^^ Yes. J posted something a long while ago about the tags being a major factor in forum slowdown.
post #18 of 394
I like the new rules but apparently noone is following.
post #19 of 394
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGee View Post
Seems kind of Draconian, no? I'm not a frequent seller here, so I guess it's not a huge deal for me, but it seems like mere protocol to answer a question asked by reply, as you did in this very thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataku View Post
+1
It's the rule we decided on because it is fairest IMO. Whether or not you agree it is the rule, sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksandr View Post
I don't sell very much, but I do buy from time to time. If I PM the seller I like to post "PM Sent" to bump his thread as a show of support as well. Is this not allowed?
It's allowed, but kind of lame IMO. We don't police it but sometimes it does look suspicious when someone's thread keeps coming up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguscan View Post
I think the rules apply only to sellers bumping their own threads. I think buyers can do what they want. Stuart
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreigen View Post
I think it's very clear - as I understand it, the only reason to post a response in your own thread is for a price drop or to add items. Anything else can easily be accomplished via editing original post or PM. I'll be the first to admit I've done some of these before, but won't be doing them again.
Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeightyseven View Post
what if we cant edit the original post because its been too long?
Let me/Fok know and we will delete your original thread and you can make a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
I feel a free bump by the seller should be allowed after a certain period of time. Else the only option after he's done price dropping is to start a new thread for the same item. A seller should be able to get some new eyeballs on his stuff without having to infinitely price drop. I am not saying it should be allowed once per 24 hours but something like once per fortnight should be allowed IMO.
I pretty much agree that that would be fair, but as of now it would be way more work to police that than the current system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketCircle View Post
There are two problems: 1) Sometimes the item is not sold for a few months and it's impossible to update the original thread. 2) Sometimes just after listing some new stuff, a few brainy people start 10 threads at the same time (one for each item they sell) and the new thread is out of the first page in just 10-15 minutes.
1. see above 2. The brainy people should be reported and the threads will be consolidated or deleted because that is against the rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I agree, this is bad policy. If I have a question on an item but I see that someone has already asked it, I expect the answer to be replied so that it is public (and I can be informed of it by subscribing to the thread). If the OP PMs the asker, then I won't see it. If the OP just updates his original post, then I won't see it unless I go back to the thread. Therefore this policy does a disservice not only to sellers but to buyers as well.
Actually, it could be looked at the other way in that now the OP has more complete and relevant information, so viewers will be better informed. Either way, it is the way it is for reasons stated above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
Has the entire system of "tagging" gone away, or is it just because I'm using Google Chrome? As a buyer it was great to look for tags (39R, Caruso, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjota View Post
^^ Yes. J posted something a long while ago about the tags being a major factor in forum slowdown.
Yes, as soon as the Visa thing is over, I plan to move us to the newest 3.x version of the forum software (I don't like the template system or the look of 4.0 and who knows what bugs need fixing still) and vBulletin's internal tagging system will be implemented. So we are without tags for a few more weeks.
post #20 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketCircle View Post
I like the new rules but apparently noone is following.

New rules? Link?
post #21 of 394
i dont see the problem with bumping for a sold item. i think that sellers should have some allowances. it also encourages people to post affordable items with their less affordable ones.

incidentally a thread of mine was just locked for mentioning sold items and for answering a question that a lot of people had within the thread. that's a little irritating considering that the responses were prompt and only bumped the thread about four posts. just wanted to gripe a bit.
post #22 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
i dont see the problem with bumping for a sold item. i think that sellers should have some allowances. it also encourages people to post affordable items with their less affordable ones.

incidentally a thread of mine was just locked for mentioning sold items and for answering a question that a lot of people had within the thread. that's a little irritating considering that the responses were prompt and only bumped the thread about four posts. just wanted to gripe a bit.

While I understand your gripe, what's the harm in following the rules?
post #23 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post
While I understand your gripe, what's the harm in following the rules?

i wasnt aware that it was against the rules to bump threads for a sold item until i read this after my thread was locked. everybody does it.
post #24 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
i wasnt aware that it was against the rules to bump threads for a sold item until i read this after my thread was locked. everybody does it.

Report them.
post #25 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel222 View Post
Report them.

nah, i don't see anything wrong with it.
post #26 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharwitt View Post
i wasnt aware that it was against the rules to bump threads for a sold item until i read this after my thread was locked. everybody does it.

Not true. Id agree that everyone answer(ed) questions in their threads, but not sold bumps....I thought it was actually a pretty annoying thing to do.

what value does it bring to tell people that your item is sold? Could they not have figured it out otherwise?
post #27 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by FStyles View Post
Not true. Id agree that everyone answer(ed) questions in their threads, but not sold bumps....I thought it was actually a pretty annoying thing to do.

what value does it bring to tell people that your item is sold? Could they not have figured it out otherwise?

i just think it should be a carrot for sellers.
post #28 of 394
Thread Starter 
Not going to happen.
post #29 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterGee View Post
Seems kind of Draconian, no? I'm not a frequent seller here, so I guess it's not a huge deal for me, but it seems like mere protocol to answer a question asked by reply, as you did in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_del View Post
I feel a free bump by the seller should be allowed after a certain period of time. Else the only option after he's done price dropping is to start a new thread for the same item.

A seller should be able to get some new eyeballs on his stuff without having to infinitely price drop. I am not saying it should be allowed once per 24 hours but something like once per fortnight should be allowed IMO.

The problem I see with this is of course the policing of the sellers.

It is very frustrating to find your thread on page 3 and the only way to get your thread to the top is to price drop. The only way to get some potential buyers to see your stuff is to either start a new thread or to set the initial asking price way too high so you have a margin to have multiple price drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I agree, this is bad policy. If I have a question on an item but I see that someone has already asked it, I expect the answer to be replied so that it is public (and I can be informed of it by subscribing to the thread). If the OP PMs the asker, then I won't see it. If the OP just updates his original post, then I won't see it unless I go back to the thread. Therefore this policy does a disservice not only to sellers but to buyers as well.

WTF? Those are the rules here. You're on notice of them. If you don't like them, you're free to sell (or buy) somewhere that follows a "better" policy.
post #30 of 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawyerdad View Post
WTF? Those are the rules here. You're on notice of them. If you don't like them, you're free to sell (or buy) somewhere that follows a "better" policy.
leftists...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: FS: Men's Clothing (Archive)
This thread is locked  
Styleforum › Forums › Archives › Buying and Selling (Archive) › FS: Men's Clothing (Archive) › "Why was my thread locked?!!"