Recent Images In This Thread
- brandButterotagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemButtero shoestagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandCommon Projectstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemCommon Projects Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- brandConversetagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- brandConverse All Startagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemCostume National Homme Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemFendi Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryFootweartagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
- itemGivenchy Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13More
- categoryHightop Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemJil Sander Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemLanvin Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categoryLowtop Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- itemPs Paul Smith Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categorySlip On Sneakerstagged by LA Guy, 10/7/13
- categorySneakerstagged by SYSTEM, 7/21/11
Related Forum Threads
- Lanvin Nylon Captoes - Size 9D Last post on 5/14/12 at 2:48am in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Common Projects F/W 12-13 Last post on 7/30/15 at 11:12am in Streetwear and Denim
- Removing patent from Lanvin sneakers Last post on 7/19/12 at 9:38am in Classic Menswear
- Side-Zip High-top Sneakers - Alejandro Ingelmo Last post on 2/25/12 at 4:54pm in Streetwear & Denim Classifieds
- Common Projects CP Desert Boot Suede Chukka Brown 41 Last post on 12/2/11 at 3:34pm in Marketplace
The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
Last edited: 3/9/15
- One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the Stan SmithLast edited: 3/10/15
- Sneakers for Boot PeopleLast edited: 2/9/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** - Page 1124
Styleforum Top Pickspost #16847 of 227499/21/12 at 1:26pmpost #16848 of 227499/21/12 at 3:29pmQuote:Christian Louboutin Talks Sole
Known primarily in the past for creating bespoke footwear for A-list celebrities, brides and other fashion-conscious females, Christian Louboutin has slowly over the years begun his foray into men’s footwear with a bevy of stylish pieces. Having recently opened up a NYC store to meet the growing want for his various classic dress shoes, iconic spiked loafers, and luxe kicks, the French designer recently sat down for a bit of reflection after the Meat Packing District opening. While choice excerpts appear below, the entire interview with Christian Louboutin can be read at GQ.
You’ve designed for other entertainers on stage, women and men, aside from Mika. Is there a secret to designing a shoe meant for the stage versus one for daily life? Does it come down to materials that are reflective or shiny or does the silhouette change?
It really depends on people, on the performer. Some performers are very sleek and so the design is going to be very simple, very straight lines, or either pointed really, I’d say in terms of line. Depending who is on stage it can be the shape as it really is or it can be an added element. It really depends on people.
When you decided to move ahead with the line of men’s shoes, did you find anything challenging about the transition? Were there issues you didn’t anticipate?
Something quite challenging for me is that for the longest time guys, especially me being born and raised in Paris, we always have this idea that men just love shoes and a shoe should last forever. I have seen it many times lately that a lot of guys are not anymore in this attitude. It could be called metrosexual or whatever. But a lot of guys who are really into shoes are just like women who are really into shoes. Even if women adore shoes I haven’t really met any women yet that are proud to have shoes for twenty years. There is a whole new attitude to men – they’re pretty excited the way women are about shoes and it’s definitely not a gay attitude. I mean it does concern gay people as well, but it’s clearly not a specialty to gay people. A lot of guys have told me they now understand the excitement they saw their wives have for five years.
Technically speaking, what’s the biggest difference between designing for a man and for a woman? Obviously it’s different based on heel height, but are there details that are particular to designing a shoe for a man?
Definitely, you know it’s a funny, it’s quite rare that when I’m designing shoes for men and then for women at the same time because…
That’s what I was going to ask.
I actually put myself in a specific state of mind. Let’s say I take a piece of leather and I’m thinking of a woman. I’m going to think, “OK, can I recover bottoms, can I do a bow, is it soft enough, can I drape it?” When I’m in my men mentality then I’m going to visualize it completely differently. Is it thick enough? Will it expand enough? Is it soft enough that guys will like it? Do I need to line it? I mean the question will be completely different. That’s why you have to program yourself if I’m into men or if I’m into women. When I’m working for women it’s never curvy enough. You know the heel is curving the legs but also curving the body. When you’re thinking men you’re thinking differently and designing with more angles, you know. My drawing for women is really curvy. My drawings for men are actually quite angular.post #16849 of 227499/21/12 at 5:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by Christian Louboutin
There is a whole new attitude to men – they’re pretty excited the way women are about shoes and it’s definitely not a gay attitude. I mean it does concern gay people as well, but it’s clearly not a specialty to gay people. A lot of guys have told me they now understand the excitement they saw their wives have for five years.
It's official - five years of marriage will make you ghey.post #16850 of 227499/21/12 at 5:58pmpost #16851 of 227499/21/12 at 8:11pmpost #16852 of 227499/21/12 at 9:19pmpost #16853 of 227499/22/12 at 9:45amThread Starterpost #16854 of 227499/22/12 at 10:17amQuote:
I don't think he didn't care, it always sounded like he just didn't know what to do. He said at one point that Raf and Slimane were amazing at menswear but he didn't have the same knack for it that they do.
He even said himself he wasn't very good at it. Some of the stuff was nice, knits especially, but most of the collections as a whole were way too fruity for most people.post #16855 of 227499/23/12 at 6:48pmpost #16856 of 227499/23/12 at 6:54pmpost #16857 of 227499/24/12 at 5:47ampost #16858 of 227499/24/12 at 9:47ampost #16859 of 227499/24/12 at 9:48am
- ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)***
Styleforum Top Picks
- One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the Stan Smith
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 39 seconds ago
- › [QUICK SALE] M.A+ Cashmere Lined Moleskin Jacket sz 52 (50) 1 minute ago
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Book/Magazine Men's Fashion Collection 2 minutes ago
- › Men's Fashion *Book & Magazine Collection* Zegna, Sartorialist, The... 3 minutes ago
- › Bespoke/MTM Premium T Shirt 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Common Projects F/W '13-'14 Thread 4 minutes ago
- › leonard logsdail bespoke 5 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 8 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...