• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What does one do with an afternoon off and only one tin of neutral shoe polish?

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The answer is quite simple: Take a pair of NOS shoes in what would be dismissed by most men as "dull black" calf. Clean, soak, rub, brush, air dry. Then last your shoes and work into the leather a generous amount of your favourite neutral shoe polish (I used Eduard Meier EM2 because it was the only spit polishable wax I had at hand). Let it dry for a few hours (at this point, a glass of wine, cigar and a good book might come in handy). Then, for the most fun part of the afternoon, take a damp piece of cloth, the wax you had used before and a glass of cold water. Polish. Finished? Polish again. And again. Etc. At the end, you should see that black is far from boring in a shoe as long as it is polished properly.

polish-1.jpg

polish-2.jpg

polish-3.jpg

polish-4.jpg

polish-5.jpg

polish-6.jpg
polish-7.jpg

polish-8.jpg

I applied about four to five layers of wax, depending on the section of the shoe and polished each shoe about six times. I also polished the sole edges, heel and waist (which does not photograph that well, actually). The shoe lay unused in a hungarian workshop for at least ten years. A new/clean shoe might have taken on a shine faster "” but equally variated? I don't think so. Overall, I am very happy with the results and can't wait to break in the shine a little and then repolish. I think, the finish will become better and better with time.

Why do I tell you this? Well, first of all, I love seeing pictures of beautiful shoes and therefore felt the urge to fix others with the same passion. Then, we all know that shoes of austro-hungarian origin are blobby, waist- and shapeless, inelegant monsters "” as we can see above. I think, in its current state, you could put the shoe right into the front window at Materna, Vienna, without having anyone notice it doesn't belong there.

glowell222

Reaction score
They look good, although I think neutral was the wrong choice.

Insight

Reaction score
How is the shine different between neutral and black polish?

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glowell222
They look good, although I think neutral was the wrong choice.
Thank you. Although it was not a matter of choice as I had only this one tin of wax here (I am currently travelling). Had I had access to my polishing equipment, I would have used an emulsion first, then applied some layers of black, then neutral polish.

Originally Posted by Insight
How is the shine different between neutral and black polish?
The shine itself is similar. I prefer using a natural or non-coloured wax for the last layer at least as I feel this gives greater depth to the finish.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They look good now, but then once you walk in them and get all that gunk in the creases and the 5 layers of caked on wax slowly dries out the leather and they start getting brittle and cracked they won't look good...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can find yourself some living/breathing friends who can hang out and do something fun.

"Friends" on SF don't count.

Insight

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
"Friends" on SF don't count.

Where does one find Real Life friends who appreciate the finer nuances of shoe polishing?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that is a nice restoration job on the shoe, and polish on the toe is striking.
have you tried using saphir's leather restorer on the upper to try to eliminate the excessive creasing?
i like the peg work on the sole, where did you find the shoe?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
i like the peg work on the sole, where did you find the shoe?

operation paprika - part II

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
o_O
those were new shoes?? what happened to the leather??

anyway nice pegs

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T4phage
what happened to the leather??

elaborate

i'll ask my personal leather expert and get back to you...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads