• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who make J. Crew Cordovan Penny Loafers

boat_7

Reaction score
Hi

I notice that J. Crew sells Cordovan Penny Loafers (made in Italy). Does anybody know who makes them and how is the quality of the shoes?

Thanks,
b

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a partnership with Alden. I doubt they would get cord pennies from another supplier
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
And if you atually searched the thread you'd find "cordovan" doesn't appear and "loafer" does twice and does not yield the answer.
Come on CG - 62 posts practically makes someone a mod

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Hmm. Made in Italy. Alden? Don't think so. The maker of the loafers is unknown, and they aren't shell cordovan.
Wow..I'm blind or a very bad reader.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can they really describe the leather as "cordovan" and then the color as "oxblood"? really weird if this isnt shell cordovan.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I really like those classic Weejuns but not for 3 bills.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
can they really describe the leather as "cordovan" and then the color as "oxblood"? really weird if this isnt shell cordovan.
Cordovan= a particular color, shell cordovan=a particular leather in today's world. I had a really hard time explaining this to a guy at work who didn't understand how AE could charge an extra $200 for a different "color".

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Cordovan= a particularcolor, shell cordovan=a particular leather in today's world. I had a really hard time explaining this to a guy at work who didn't understand how AE could charge an extra $200 for a different "color".

I understand that, which is why this description is really weird if it isn't shell cordovan.

if they describe the color as oxblood, then why mention "cordovan leather" if it isn't shell?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that, which is why this description is really weird if it isn't shell cordovan.

if they describe the color as oxblood, then why mention "cordovan leather" if it isn't shell?

I know you understand, I just think J Crew is using the terms "oxblood" and "cordovan" interchangeably for a certain color.

videocrew

Reaction score
There is an Italian factory that makes shoes for a lot of different fashion brands, J. Crew among them. They describe a variety of leathers as "cordovan" despite the fact that it is not shell. The brands then parrot it on their web sites, even though they know better. Billy Reid does the same thing with their roper boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads