• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Doctor Who

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Anyone else watching? It's gotten off to an excellent start.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm catching up. Watched Waters of Mars yesterday, and first half of End of Time today.

No spoilers yet please.

(I also finished the last Torchwood miniseries. Looks like the end for Torchwood?)

Yo-han

Reaction score
First ep. was ok, second not so much, ep. three will have daleks so it's bound to be good. Much prefer david tennant to the new eleventh doctor who comes off abit of a spastic. Amy Pond as companion was a nice step up from martha jones and that old lady from the last episodes.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thought the last two have been great. The Doctor/Amy are both spectacular, and an enormous number of ideas are crammed into each episode. The latest ep wasn't as good as the one prior, but I thought both were a substantial improvement over much of what came before. There's definitely been a tone shift.

I hear they're trying to sell an American version of Torchwood, so the future of the U.K. version is in flux until that's worked out.

HHD

Reaction score
Matt Smith is excellent: I watched The Eleventh Hour and he has the potential to be at least as good as Tennant. If he sticks with it, he could be one of the greats. Watch the BBC's preview clip (available on YouTube) from "Vampires of Venice" - there's something of the late 60s Mick Jagger in the way he minces around in front of the mirror.

Amy is just great, and bloody good-looking too. I loved all the "magical cottage" stuff and the "raggedy doctor" / little girl plot.

"Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically... Run" - is one of my favourite scenes from the new series so far.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm happy Steven Moffat is taking over from Russel T Davies as head writer/producer. Moffat wrote all of my favorite DW episodes (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink) and was main writer for the comedy Coupling.

Matt Smith and Karen Gillian were both great in the first episode.

Should be able to watch episode 2 of current season by tomorrow.

calvinshow

Reaction score
I only watch on BBC America but each time I catch it, I can't help but watch. I'm sure things make sense if you watch episodes in chronological order but I get a kick out of it no matter which episode it is.

Yo-han

Reaction score
Great third episode, hoping for a long dalek story arc. Just wish they hadn't made the new pure dalek jumbo race rainbow colored, should just have kept them og or made them black like the on in the cult of scaro.

BP348

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HHD
Matt Smith is excellent: I watched The Eleventh Hour and he has the potential to be at least as good as Tennant. If he sticks with it, he could be one of the greats. Watch the BBC's preview clip (available on YouTube) from "Vampires of Venice" - there's something of the late 60s Mick Jagger in the way he minces around in front of the mirror.

Amy is just great, and bloody good-looking too. I loved all the "magical cottage" stuff and the "raggedy doctor" / little girl plot.

"Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically... Run" - is one of my favourite scenes from the new series so far.

This

How many episodes came before the Eleventh Hour episode? It's the only episode I've seen so far.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
This

How many episodes came before the Eleventh Hour episode? It's the only episode I've seen so far.

About 760! It's been going since 1963
smile.gif
but was put on ice in the 1980s.

The new series / reboot / revival started in 2005; the current season is the fifth since then. There have been three doctors since 2005: Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and the current Doctor, Matt Smith. I think the current season is written so you can pick it up quite easily as a newcomer, but if you enjoy it, you might want to start with Eccleston's season and catch up.

Try some of the "classic" 60s and 70s series too: Tom Baker gives the iconic performance.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
karengillannewdoctorwho.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads