or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Doctor Who
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doctor Who - Page 21

post #301 of 365

Just wish they hadn't made the new pure dalek jumbo race rainbow colored, should just have kept them og or made them black like the on in the cult of scaro.

CHEEFv

post #302 of 365

Dressed up as a younger version of the firs doctor for the 50th.  Scarf is to "foreshadow" Tom Baker.  Also it was cold.

post #303 of 365
Trailer for Time of the Doctor. Matt Smith's final as the Doctor and the Christmas Special airing this year.
.
post #304 of 365
I'm sorry to see Matt go, and I'm looking forward to Capaldi, but I'm dreading another dire Christmas episode. Maybe having the regeneration to deal with will cut down on the schmaltz, but the plot synopsis didn't give me much cause for optimism.
post #305 of 365
Trailer for Christmas Dr Who edition episode now running - seems as convoluted as ever.
post #306 of 365
I said it up the page but it remains true; the specials are difficult because they must stand alone for all the one off viewers. For hardcore fans they are often least impressive because they don't resolve any big issues, but I'm kind of at peace with that now.
post #307 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

I'm sorry to see Matt go, and I'm looking forward to Capaldi, but I'm dreading another dire Christmas episode. Maybe having the regeneration to deal with will cut down on the schmaltz, but the plot synopsis didn't give me much cause for optimism.


Early word is this one doesn't beat you over the head with the Christmas simply because they don't have a lot of time in the script for the fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

I said it up the page but it remains true; the specials are difficult because they must stand alone for all the one off viewers. For hardcore fans they are often least impressive because they don't resolve any big issues, but I'm kind of at peace with that now.


I think you might be surprised here. The special is supposed to answer a lot of the long standing questions from Smith's run. Word is you will find out who the Silence are, what the crack was, etc etc...
post #308 of 365
If that is the case I will be very pleased. I try to avoid the online buzz because you either end up with spoilers or unmet able expectations.
post #309 of 365
I'm trying to avoid any major spoilers too, but this is the kind of info they are sharing in the promotion for the episode. I see it like knowing Matt will regenerate.
post #310 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhood View Post

I would agree that 2005 is the start of worthwhile Doctor Who, but for me they only got great again once Tennant was in charge. I re-watched every single episode a few months ago, and kinda had to force myself through Ecclestone's seasons.

Tom Baker. Genesis of the Daleks. Unrivaled awesomeness.
post #311 of 365
The classic Who is just that; classic. I wouldn't learn to drive in an E-Tupe jaguar, no matter how much I might enjoy it as an enthusiast.
post #312 of 365
That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile though, and 1975 is well before 2005. By about 30 years I would think.
post #313 of 365
Tom's stuff is great. Just treat it like a stage play and adjust expectations for costumes and special effects accordingly.

I much prefer Tom's era to the current. Matt's been a good Doctor, but his tenure's been undercut by convoluted plotting and empty bombast. They're way too focused on earth-shattering revelations that will forever change a character that fundamentally isn't giving to change very much. It's pointless and exhausting. Much better when the Doctor enters into a drama than when the Doctor's backstory/secrets/unpaid back taxes are the source of the drama. A little of the latter is fine, as spice and seasoning, but too much and it soon becomes apparent that the shocking revelations aren't that shocking ... or even terribly interesting.
post #314 of 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post

Tom's stuff is great. Just treat it like a stage play and adjust expectations for costumes and special effects accordingly.

I much prefer Tom's era to the current. Matt's been a good Doctor, but his tenure's been undercut by convoluted plotting and empty bombast. They're way too focused on earth-shattering revelations that will forever change a character that fundamentally isn't giving to change very much. It's pointless and exhausting. Much better when the Doctor enters into a drama than when the Doctor's backstory/secrets/unpaid back taxes are the source of the drama. A little of the latter is fine, as spice and seasoning, but too much and it soon becomes apparent that the shocking revelations aren't that shocking ... or even terribly interesting.

 

Well observed.  I will say I've really enjoyed Matt Smith, a lot, especially for all the idiosyncrasies he brought to the role.  They're just plain fun.  I think, marketwise, this is what the fangirls want, and that fandom really drives the show right now.  One could equate it to the way most American shows can start out good, with sharp writing, good stories, and interesting relationships between the characters, but ultimately devolve into who's banging whom this week?  ER comes to mind - in fact, when I heard it was ending, I was shocked it was still on.  I hadn't watched it in, literally, ten years.  Perhaps Capaldi will be a little more stoic, and that would be refreshing.


 

Next bit refers to the end of the 50th Special, unlikely as it is that anyone on this thread hasn't seen it. (Click to show)

I really do enjoy the stuff about Time Lords, and Gallifrey, in general, more so than the Doctor's own back story.  I've always wanted there to be more of that.  We must resign ourselves, however, to at least two seasons of the Doctor searching for Gallifrey.  Hopefully it will work itself in sporadically, with most episodes being, well, episodic.  Hints and teasers, of course, can be real or imagined.  The latter would seem to be simpler to write.

 

post #315 of 365
I brought this up on another forum, but I would put money down on Capaldi's Doctor getting a new companion before long. Someone young, male, good looking and just quirky enough to help carry over some of the "fangirls" Matt and David brought to the show during their runs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Doctor Who