or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Doctor Who
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Doctor Who - Page 2

post #16 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
Didn't really like the Dalek episode last week, but this week's episode is fucking great. Two parters really are the best. 45 minutes just doesn't give enough time to establish a new location and tell a cool story.

I agree. In the "old days" when I was watching Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker as Doctor Who (back in the late '70s and in the '80s), each story would typically go for five episodes, and there would be one episode each weeknight.

Of course, the special effects were absolute rubbish back then (no disrespect to the BBC special effects dept, as I'm sure that they did their best with what was available to them!).
post #17 of 362
I really really love Dr. Who but only watch the ones with Tom Baker. How do these compare?
post #18 of 362
Thread Starter 
New Who is different, but worth watching. The writing is extremely variable in quality, but all three of the Doctors have been very well cast. Just give it a try. I'm sure you know how to use bittorrent.
post #19 of 362
Thread Starter 
Second part was even better than the first part. Best story of the new series IMO. Gonna be a classic. I was hoping to avoid another Doctor/companion romance, but I thought they did it really well. I'm guessing Amy will soon be over her infatuation since the Doctor seems to have no interest in reciprocating.
post #20 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaquiran View Post
I'm happy Steven Moffat is taking over from Russel T Davies as head writer/producer. Moffat wrote all of my favorite DW episodes (The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Girl in the Fireplace, Blink) and was main writer for the comedy Coupling.
And of course Moffat's two-part ending wrapped up the season beautifully.
post #21 of 362
Just started watching recently with the lady. Just finished series 1 of the new iterations (starting 2005). A few episodes into series 2. My favorite episodes so far are - The one with the gas mask kid - The one with the french princess They seemed like a good mix of action, mystery and enough sentimentality. I really cared about the storyline and the new characters introduced in those (the princess, captain jack, and the teenage mom). Great emotional arc on those. Excited to keep watching them and catch up to the current season
post #22 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
Just started watching recently with the lady. Just finished series 1 of the new iterations (starting 2005). A few episodes into series 2.


My favorite episodes so far are

- The one with the gas mask kid
- The one with the french princess

They seemed like a good mix of action, mystery and enough sentimentality. I really cared about the storyline and the new characters introduced in those (the princess, captain jack, and the teenage mom). Great emotional arc on those.

Excited to keep watching them and catch up to the current season

They're both stories by Steven Moffat, who is the outstanding writer of the rebooted series. You're in for a treat with the other episodes he wrote, most famously Blink. And the news gets better: From season five onwards Moffat took over as showrunner and lead writer (this is the Matt Smith 11th Doctor era). I think season five, Smith and Moffat's first, is the best new Who to date and easily on a par with the finest of the Tom Baker years. The season which has just started, the sixth, takes a darker turn: The first two episodes are mind-blowing.
post #23 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHD View Post
They're both stories by Steven Moffat, who is the outstanding writer of the rebooted series. You're in for a treat with the other episodes he wrote, most famously Blink. And the news gets better: From season five onwards Moffat took over as showrunner and lead writer (this is the Matt Smith 11th Doctor era). I think season five, Smith and Moffat's first, is the best new Who to date and easily on a par with the finest of the Tom Baker years. The season which has just started, the sixth, takes a darker turn: The first two episodes are mind-blowing.

Damn. That's excellent to hear. My girlfriend picked up on that actually. We have been rapid fire watching them on netflix (all the reboot episodes except the brand new season are on there) and you notice things like that more. The moffat episodes have definitely been my favorite and seem more focused. The davies ones are a bit meandering and i find myself losing interest looking at my computer while watching and then popping in and out. The ones i mentioned and a few others (probably moffat as well), i was riveted the whole time
post #24 of 362
Favorite line of the new season so far was The Doctor's reference to River Song as "Mrs Robinson"--hilarious.
post #25 of 362
A couple of months late, but the last Christmas episode was great.
post #26 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoaug View Post
They seemed like a good mix of action, mystery and enough sentimentality. I really cared about the storyline and the new characters introduced in those (the princess, captain jack, and the teenage mom). Great emotional arc on those.
n

For some reason I like Capt Jack in Dr. Who more than Capt Jack in Torchwood.
post #27 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC View Post
Favorite line of the new season so far was The Doctor's reference to River Song as "Mrs Robinson"--hilarious.

Yes that was a hoot. And the context of the show appears a lot darker then previous seasons, mind you I would like to see a show about Nixon's nose now that was one proboscis.
post #28 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaquiran View Post
A couple of months late, but the last Christmas episode was great.

Man, best X-mas Who yet. Last two episodes were good, but not mind blowing. The aliens were pretty damn cool though, and offered some freaky scenes. I think everyone recognizes the Weeping Angels as highlights, and are trying to recreate that feeling.

I'm pumped for the Neil Gaiman episodes.
post #29 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.R. View Post
I'm pumped for the Neil Gaiman episodes.

His blog and twitter make waiting for them easier. Except when he mentions them in that he can't say anything about them. Then it does not.
post #30 of 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHD View Post
They're both stories by Steven Moffat, who is the outstanding writer of the rebooted series. You're in for a treat with the other episodes he wrote, most famously Blink.

Blink was easily the best DW episode ever, of any iteration.

This season's episodes have been very strong so far, though they could just jettison Rory and not skip a beat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Doctor Who