or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Food Questions Thread - Page 448

post #6706 of 7365
Just get a Cooktek. They're awesome.
post #6707 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

I don't actually care either way if she's fired. It's a hell of a black eye for the Food Network for one of it's hosts to be accused of wanting to have a slave themed wedding though.

I'm not going to defend Deen but one has to realize that one can be accused of almost anything these days. The problem is accusations are given the merit of proven fact in the Modern Industrial Manufactured Outrage Machine (MIMOM). Twanna Brawley, anyone?

Again, I could see Deen saying just about anything but a wise person would not be so fast to act on accusations alone.

Edit, btw, my new (TM) is pronounced "mee mom." Think waaambulance siren.
post #6708 of 7365
Jesus fuck. I don't care at all about this, you people. I just copy and pasted the allegations.

She should have been fired for that godawful Krispy Kreme doughnut hamburger though.
post #6709 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nil View Post

Jesus fuck. I don't care at all about this, you people. I just copy and pasted the allegations.

As a puppy rapist just how much credibility do you think you have?
post #6710 of 7365
I will refer you to my state's Romeo and Juliet laws to show that it was not rape, but tender hearted teenage love.
post #6711 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Now, you realize this is an accusation made in a civil case against her and not fact, right?

I thought these were from responses she gave in a deposition...as in the lawyers knew she said it and got her to admit it under oath.

I still think the whole thing is silly (oh my! an old southern woman made a racist joke in private!), but it does sound like she actually said this.
post #6712 of 7365
Those of you making the point that the allegation might be false, yes, it's important to keep that in mind. But it's also important to note that, even if true, it is completely trivial. Only a corrupt society, with nothing of genuine importance to concern itself with, would go around acting like Stalinist block captains informing on people all the time. Plus, our "anti-racism" obsession long ago went completely off the deep end. Hitler has now be dead for 68 years. The Civil Rights act passed 49 years ago. Yeah, Trayvon, I know but firing Paula Deen won't bring him back.

Get over it.
post #6713 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I thought these were from responses she gave in a deposition...as in the lawyers knew she said it and got her to admit it under oath.

I still think the whole thing is silly (oh my! an old southern woman made a racist joke in private!), but it does sound like she actually said this.

Transcript:
http://redcowhills.com/Paula-Deen-Racist-Court-Transcripts-redcowhills.pdf

It doesn't show up in there.
post #6714 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

Those of you making the point that the allegation might be false, yes, it's important to keep that in mind. But it's also important to note that, even if true, it is completely trivial. Only a corrupt society, with nothing of genuine importance to concern itself with, would go around acting like Stalinist block captains informing on people all the time. Plus, our "anti-racism" obsession long ago went completely off the deep end. Hitler has now be dead for 68 years. The Civil Rights act passed 49 years ago. Yeah, Trayvon, I know but firing Paula Deen won't bring him back.

Get over it.

I don't disagree with you, but I think that the fact that accusations are good enough is also an important part in this.
post #6715 of 7365
foodguy had a good post about the "scandal" on his blog.
post #6716 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Transcript:
http://redcowhills.com/Paula-Deen-Racist-Court-Transcripts-redcowhills.pdf

It doesn't show up in there.

Ah so it isn't.

This quote is still a gem (in response to whether or not she used the n-word to refer to the waiters): "Deen: No, because that’s not what these men were. They were professional black men doing a fabulous job."
but I know how rough depositions are so its pretty easy to get quotes like that out.
post #6717 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

foodguy had a good post about the "scandal" on his blog.
I disagree. You know I love Russ, but while taken at face value, a simple recap of some people in the food industry who have found scandal it seems fine. If you
go down the list and punishments, it seems that one is not like the others.
1­- Plagiarist has his books yanked after legal settlement. ­- seems like a reasonable conclusion.
2­- Person who like about their background is let go. ­- this is very typical in every walk of life
3­- Person convicted of insider trading goes to jail. ­- hard to argue this one, legal proceeding, punishment obvious.
4­- Person tries to hire a hit man, loses his job, goes to jail. -­ legal proceeding, punishment known. Again, obvious.
5­- Person accused of being a sexual abuser, four years later suit is fired and show cancelled. - ­ I suppose this is the closest, though the accusation of an actual crime and number of accusers makes it different in kind.
6- Woman admits to saying nigger at some point in her life, show cancelled - well, I think you see where I am going with this.

To his credit, it was probably the least hyperbolic thing written on the subject and he didn't go into any of the peripheral accusations or state them as fact, but what I take away is not that there have been scandals, but why is this at all similar.
post #6718 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

I disagree. You know I love Russ, but while taken at face value, a simple recap of some people in the food industry who have found scandal it seems fine. If you
go down the list and punishments, it seems that one is not like the others.
1­- Plagiarist has his books yanked after legal settlement. ­- seems like a reasonable conclusion.
2­- Person who like about their background is let go. ­- this is very typical in every walk of life
3­- Person convicted of insider trading goes to jail. ­- hard to argue this one, legal proceeding, punishment obvious.
4­- Person tries to hire a hit man, loses his job, goes to jail. -­ legal proceeding, punishment known. Again, obvious.
5­- Person accused of being a sexual abuser, four years later suit is fired and show cancelled. - ­ I suppose this is the closest, though the accusation of an actual crime and number of accusers makes it different in kind.
6- Woman admits to saying nigger at some point in her life, show cancelled - well, I think you see where I am going with this.

To his credit, it was probably the least hyperbolic thing written on the subject and he didn't go into any of the peripheral accusations or state them as fact, but what I take away is not that there have been scandals, but why is this at all similar.

Well, his post (Maybe you're talking about a different one? I'm talking about this spam[1].gif) was about how this is unfairly maligning the South and I agree.

And I also agree with both you and MAnton. FWIW, it is interesting how the media has been (at least in what I've read, which isn't much) pretty even-keeled about this.
post #6719 of 7365
Also, I am only familiar with scandals 3 and 6, who were the others?
post #6720 of 7365
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread