or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Food Questions Thread - Page 438

post #6556 of 7347
start with quick and then see about moving on to real.
post #6557 of 7347
I've made quick pickles before and they were quite good. Obviously different from real fermented pickles, but much less work. It's a good way to use up produce, but like I said, keep in mind it needs to stay refrigerated and doesnt last nearly as long as real pickling. Real pickling was originally a food preservation method--the quick stuff is just for flavor.
post #6558 of 7347
Thread Starter 
Quickles are great. I make them often and almost always have some in the fridge. And it's easy to experiment with flavors and seasonings because you know in very short time whether or not it's any good.
Real pickles are an investment. But they're unbeatable if you have the space to let a crock sit in the basement for a month. That fermented flavor is impossible to replicate and also there are health benefits to real pickles.
Both have their place. And that place is mah belly.
post #6559 of 7347
My parents have a basement, looks like I will be visiting them now.
post #6560 of 7347
Here edina.
and just to shortstop half of your future questions,
here.
though that only goes back the last 5 years.
post #6561 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

Real pickling involves malolactic fermentation. Bacteria get in there and do their thing. Is shelf stable.

Quick pickling is just covering the food with vinegar and spices and letting it sit for a while. Has to be kept in the fridge, only good for a few weeks. But, is very quick and easy, and doesn't require boiling the jars.
this is almost right, i think. malolactic fermentation is a very specific type of lactic fermentation -- the conversion of malic acid to lactic acid. it's important in winemaking (especially overblown chardonnays), but all lactic fermentation is not malolactic (at least as I remember it). please correct if i'm mistaken.
post #6562 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

this is almost right, i think. malolactic fermentation is a very specific type of lactic fermentation -- the conversion of malic acid to lactic acid. it's important in winemaking (especially overblown chardonnays), but all lactic fermentation is not malolactic (at least as I remember it). please correct if i'm mistaken.

You're probably correct. I know it is a type of lactic fermentation, and I believe that a lot of it is malolactic, but I'm certainly no pickling--or biochemistry--expert smile.gif
post #6563 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

You're probably correct. I know it is a type of lactic fermentation, and I believe that a lot of it is malolactic, but I'm certainly no pickling--or biochemistry--expert smile.gif
me neither. i just play one in the newspaper.
post #6564 of 7347
post #6565 of 7347

 

Artisinal is just a buzzword

post #6566 of 7347
You don't say.
post #6567 of 7347
But is it house-made?
post #6568 of 7347
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

Here edina.
and just to shortstop half of your future questions,
here.
though that only goes back the last 5 years.

I love you.

So I want to get a propane grill but I don't want any of the ones from Home Depot etc. They all have really lightweight hoods and just seem generally flimsy. My dad got a Jenn-Air that's baller but had to drive to SC to pick it up ($50 on Craigslist IIRC). So basically, what are my best bets for a non-Viking (price-wise) non-flimsy one?
post #6569 of 7347
I am honestly very pleased with Webers. My first lasted 15 years and the current grill is on year three or so with zero worries.
post #6570 of 7347
yeah, my last gas grill was a weber. probably had it for about 10-12 years. eventually had replaced almost every operating part (all easily available at home depot), but finally got rid of it because i was tired of it (and wanted to go to charcoal, like a real man).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread