or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Food Questions Thread - Page 415

post #6211 of 7385
Also, using powdered/icing/confectioner's sugar can make your life easier.
post #6212 of 7385
Any nonstick is fine, just get something relatively heavy.
post #6213 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Any nonstick is fine, just get something relatively heavy.

This. And realize that all non-stick has a finite lifespan and is effectively disposable. Don't be afraid to trash it once the coating starts to fail. Because of this, I would hesitate to buy something like All-Clad for non-stick.

I have some I got at the restaurant supply store that have treated me well.
post #6214 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post

Ed, I'm guessing you aren't beating your eggs fast enough. I make a Lamington receipe that calls for the same thing and I typically make sure everything is at room temp first. Then I beat the eggs at my Kitchenaids max speed and then slowly add the sugar. Also, make sure you're not adding any type of fat until after you've reached the desired thickness.


I need a non-stick pan, any brand recommendations?

Bakers & Whatever from Sam's Club. Just get something heavy and cheap seems to be the consensus.

WRT eggs, I put the sugar in the bowl then add eggs. I had my beaters on the highest speed when they just turned into a foam and white and that didn't work.

Its supposed to look like this http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/01/apple-sharlotka/ but didn't/
post #6215 of 7385
Then start beating the eggs and slowly add the sugar next time.
post #6216 of 7385
Just beat them until it you see thick and white.(!) Seriously, what they used to say before science invaded the kitchen is that the beating of the eggs (usually just yolks, but whatev) with the sugar pre-cooked them and made it so they would keep their volume during the baking process.

Here:

http://www.somethingkindasweet.com/2012/01/20/baking-101-ribbon-the-eggs-sugar/
post #6217 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravenel View Post

This. And realize that all non-stick has a finite lifespan and is effectively disposable. Don't be afraid to trash it once the coating starts to fail. Because of this, I would hesitate to buy something like All-Clad for non-stick.

I have some I got at the restaurant supply store that have treated me well.

How does ceramic preforms compared to Teflon. Has anyone used ceramic non-stick?
post #6218 of 7385
I bought two 12" All-clad non-stick skillets yesterday. The "d5" ones. Have a few others that I like (not non-stick). Will see how I like these.
post #6219 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

RIbbon is when you whisk together egg yolks and sugar until it gets white and ribbon like when it falls from the whisk. No idea how to help Ed, though.
there's a pretty good example of it in this recipe video we just posted (nice dessert, too).
post #6220 of 7385
ed, let's be clear: you beat egg YOLKS, not eggs, right? one can't be too clear on these things.
post #6221 of 7385
I want to braise some short ribs on thursday, but I won't have enough time before I want to eat for the full ~3 hours of prep and braising.

Would it be better to just cook them on wednesday and reheat, or should I braise until there is maybe 30-45 minutes left, throw it in the fridge, and then put back in the oven for an hour on thursday?
post #6222 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

ed, let's be clear: you beat egg YOLKS, not eggs, right? one can't be too clear on these things.

the entire egg. Recipe even says use the entire egg!
post #6223 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I want to braise some short ribs on thursday, but I won't have enough time before I want to eat for the full ~3 hours of prep and braising.

Would it be better to just cook them on wednesday and reheat, or should I braise until there is maybe 30-45 minutes left, throw it in the fridge, and then put back in the oven for an hour on thursday?

Depending on how much you are making, it's going to take 45 minutes or so to reheat all the way through in the oven anyways.

I would cook them all the way and reheat (covered and at low temp so they don't dry out). It's not like you are going to overcook them.
post #6224 of 7385
From my experience short ribs actually taste better when cooked, cooled, and reheated. Not sure what the science is behind it, but something with the gelatin happens when this is done. It also makes it easy to skim fat. A number of recipes I've done called for this method.
post #6225 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by otc View Post

I want to braise some short ribs on thursday, but I won't have enough time before I want to eat for the full ~3 hours of prep and braising.

Would it be better to just cook them on wednesday and reheat, or should I braise until there is maybe 30-45 minutes left, throw it in the fridge, and then put back in the oven for an hour on thursday?
braises are almost always better reheated. take the opportunity to also skim the fat from the top.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread