or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Food Questions Thread - Page 407

post #6091 of 7355
so a recipe says 2 boullion cubes and 2 quarts of water (I am making soup). Why would bouillon be preferable to stock? I've noticed this cook book bounces between stocks and bouillon.
post #6092 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

so a recipe says 2 boullion cubes and 2 quarts of water (I am making soup). Why would bouillon be preferable to stock? I've noticed this cook book bounces between stocks and bouillon.

It wouldn't. It's just a matter of what you have on hand.
post #6093 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Thanks to all for the EdgePro advice. A great device, I got mine yesterday, and sharpened three knives. Amazing how long it took to work up a burr though, particularly on my Wusthofs. I guess they were really in bad shape.

Now, a real question:

Can someone settle the record on ceramic vs. steel hones? All kinds of conflicting and nonsensical info on the internet. What are the salient differences? Which should I be using for my knives?

My guess would be that the edgepro's bevel doesn't quite match the angle you already had on the knives. Even being off by a degree or two means you are basically resetting the bevel and the stone won't even meet the true edge (and thus be able to raise a burr) until you have worked it for a while. Now that the bevel is set, you will be able to raise a burr much faster. If you double beveled, you should only be raising a burr at the wider angle for future sharpenings until you decide it is time to thin out the narrow bevel again.

Ceramic hones are fine abrasives (often very very fine). They will remove some metal but probably also straighten out the edge. Steel hones will just straighten the edge and leave the metal in place. Steer clear of the hones that have the ridges on the edge, they can work more like a file and take metal off....you are already sharpening the knives for real, so you don't need the "sharpener" that comes in an average knife block set (which is what most purchasers consider it to be).

I'm a noob to the waterstone, but I think the above is accurate about sharpening in general.
post #6094 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

so a recipe says 2 boullion cubes and 2 quarts of water (I am making soup). Why would bouillon be preferable to stock? I've noticed this cook book bounces between stocks and bouillon.

Are you asking the difference between stock and bouillon, or are you asking the difference between stock and white trash bouillon cubes?
post #6095 of 7355
I think he's asking why it would be preferable to use a bouillon cube over stock. I think the recipe advocates it out of practicality rather than taste. In terms of differences between a real bouillon and a stock, I didn't think there were any.
post #6096 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Are you asking the difference between stock and bouillon, or are you asking the difference between stock and white trash bouillon cubes?

Wow. Go back to your untouchable, elitist .00001%-er Ivory Tower, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

I think he's asking why it would be preferable to use a bouillon cube over stock. I think the recipe advocates it out of practicality rather than because of taste. In terms of differences between a real bouillon and a stock, I didn't think there were any.

Pretty much this. Thanks, mgm, will probably go to Whole Foods so I'll pick up some of their stock.
post #6097 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

Wow. Go back to your untouchable, elitist .00001%-er Ivory Tower, man.

Damn straight. That's where I have your mom tied up.
post #6098 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Damn straight. That's where I have your mom tied up.
z

You know what matt, just LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE. My mom is very lucky to be alive--she raised me for nearly two decades--and you making jokes about her is NOT APPRECIATED.
post #6099 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

z

You know what matt, just LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE. My mom is very lucky to be alive--she raised me for nearly two decades--and you making jokes about her is NOT APPRECIATED.

people in glass houses and all
post #6100 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by indesertum View Post

people in glass houses and all

Yeah, tell your mom she needs to move. Really hard to get in the mood when all those people can see in on us.
post #6101 of 7355
You know what ed, just LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE. My mom is very lucky to be alive--she raised me for nearly two decades--and you making jokes about her is NOT APPRECIATED.
post #6102 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinatlanta View Post

z

You know what matt, just LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE. My mom is very lucky to be alive--she raised me for nearly two decades--and you making jokes about her is NOT APPRECIATED.

After two decades your mom can still raise me a few times a day, Ed.
post #6103 of 7355
That's pretty strong- you sure you didn't mean his dad?
post #6104 of 7355
I would kindly, but firmly, remind us all that we are members of a Society dedicated to the discussion of food.
post #6105 of 7355
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

I would kindly, but firmly, remind us all that we are members of a Society dedicated to the discussion of food.

I picture you using soothing tones as you typed this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread