or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Food Questions Thread - Page 377

post #5641 of 7385
Update: bought 3 packs
post #5642 of 7385
Is there a French equivalent of Joy of Cooking? Not food for feasts but more every day ( and preferably in English)?
post #5643 of 7385
I'm not sure about an equivalent, but I recently picked up Simply French by Patricia Wells. A great book, and I would highly recommend it.
post #5644 of 7385
Probably La Bonne Cuisine, though Escoffier's Ma Cuisine (his compendium for the home) and La Cuisine from Raymond Oliver are both up there. The last two can be found at used book stores for little money.
post #5645 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsstillmatt View Post

Probably La Bonne Cuisine, though Escoffier's Ma Cuisine (his compendium for the home) and La Cuisine from Raymond Oliver are both up there. The last two can be found at used book stores for little money.

Off-topic, but do you work in a restaurant? You seem to have mastery level knowledge/ability. General curiosity.
post #5646 of 7385
Simply French is a great book.
post #5647 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by philosophe View Post

Simply French is a great book.

I love it. I think Matt recommended it over a year ago, but I never picked it up until recently. I think it would have been helpful to start with a book like that than with some of those I decided to pick up first.
post #5648 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Off-topic, but do you work in a restaurant? You seem to have mastery level knowledge/ability. General curiosity.

No, not since I was a youngster. Thanks, though.
post #5649 of 7385
Thanks gang. The rec was for someone else and I passed along. Ordered a copy of the Wells for myself. I need to get back into the kitchen.
post #5650 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

I'm not sure about an equivalent, but I recently picked up Simply French by Patricia Wells. A great book, and I would highly recommend it.

Was going to recommend the same. Great book.
post #5651 of 7385
Question re beef broth:
I made a huge pot of beeth broth this way - I had about two or three pounds of bones with a little meat on them from the butcher. I browned them (15 min on a side). Then boiled them in a big pot with some red-wine vinegar, carrots, onions, parsnips, garlic, ginger, bay leaf. It has been going for seven or eight hours (took a break overnight), maybe more.
It is broth-like rather than soup-like.

Question: What do I do with this?
post #5652 of 7385
You can braise things in it. Oxtails would be good, shanks, or cheeks, though it depends on the flavor profile you are seeking. I wouldn't use it as the base of a sauce, but it might be nice for onion soup, as long as the ginger flavor isn't too strong. Also, why use vinegar in stock?
post #5653 of 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm9128 View Post

You can braise things in it. Oxtails would be good, shanks, or cheeks, though it depends on the flavor profile you are seeking. I wouldn't use it as the base of a sauce, but it might be nice for onion soup, as long as the ginger flavor isn't too strong. Also, why use vinegar in stock?
Thanks.
Vinegar helps soften the bones and cause them to release some of the cartilage-like substances. It is reputed to help with joint issues, though I have no idea if it is true. It does create a nice scent; I didn't use that much.
My plan is to take all the meat,bones,vegetables out, then get it cold to help skim the fat off. Does that make sense?
post #5654 of 7385
Makes sense.
post #5655 of 7385
Traditionally, you would skim as the stock simmers, then take it off the heat, let it rest for a bit, and ladle out the stock so as not to disturb the bones and force any impurities through your strainer. If there is a lot of fat, you can strain it, chill it overnight, then skim the next day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread