or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Random Food Questions Thread - Page 226

post #3376 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Browning isn't of utmost importance to me. Honestly. I was just attempting to incorporate it into the cooking method at hand by changing around the temp/arrangement/etc. Basically, I just need them to be cooked and edible.

Does your oven have a built in broiler ?
post #3377 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Obviously I can look this up on the internet but whatever I find may not be SF-approved, so I thought I'd try here first.
For the games this Sunday, I have a few folks coming over, so I thought I'd try out my new stand mixer (I've never had one, this is kind of exciting) by whipping up a quick batch of pizza dough and a bit of zesty sauce and providing condiments so people could make their own thin-crusts.
Any recommendations, recipes, tips? Obviously I'll need to go get a big stone, hopefully to accommodate 2 or so pizzas at a time (I know they don't take long) - what other ingredients/tools/advice would you recommend? (corn meal, a paddle?)

order in. when you're having people over is the very worst time to be trying to cook something for the first time. especially if there is likely to be alcohol involved. and most especially if you think that cooking chicken legs directly on the oven rack is going to be a work-saver.
post #3378 of 7365
FG is spot on, order in, getting flour, water, yeast and salt to turn into tasty pizza crust is a lot harder than one might think. If you're still going to do it, here's a good start.
post #3379 of 7365
i was kidding about the chicken.

but, really? I mean, I figure make-ahead is the best thing to do for the dough, this is casual enough, and I thought just rolling out the dough and putting some toppings on would not be a bad idea? I am a capable enough cook, though of course many of these skills do not translate to baking. I had hoped you'd at least have an article or a friend with a book or something. frown.gif
post #3380 of 7365
The pizza dough recipe FG gave me was delicious and easy as pie, even if I thought it was too perfect looking.
post #3381 of 7365
Let me be clear here - these are good friends and we're just watching the game and having some fun. Children will be present. A less than perfect pizza-crust with solid toppings will be, at worst, better than anything we can order in. And if not, we can still order in. And nobody, least of all me, will care. The point is to have fun. Not to provide the ultimate pizza.
post #3382 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

it kind of sounds like you got it then. if you want to make it taste good, you'll have to do it a little different. it might take another step or two. it might require a rack. it might require doing it in two shifts so you don't crowd the tray. but if all you want is edible, you're fine. shred them and put them on a salad.

More or less. I'm just trying to improve on the basics. After I get that down, THEN I'll start fucking around with the other details. Remember, I'm new at this shit. Given the volume that I'm cooking, I figured trying to stay simple was the best way to go about it. I don't want to fuck up $20 worth of thighs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Just put the chicken thighs right on the oven racks, no cookie sheets.
I just saved you from having to do the dishes.

I lol'ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradden View Post

Does your oven have a built in broiler ?

Sure do. What do you have in mind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Obviously I can look this up on the internet but whatever I find may not be SF-approved, so I thought I'd try here first.
For the games this Sunday, I have a few folks coming over, so I thought I'd try out my new stand mixer (I've never had one, this is kind of exciting) by whipping up a quick batch of pizza dough and a bit of zesty sauce and providing condiments so people could make their own thin-crusts.
Any recommendations, recipes, tips? Obviously I'll need to go get a big stone, hopefully to accommodate 2 or so pizzas at a time (I know they don't take long) - what other ingredients/tools/advice would you recommend? (corn meal, a paddle?)

Good lord this sounds like a horrible idea. People are there to watch football, not take an amateur cooking class. Nothing worse than being invited over someone's house and being drafted into working, much less cooking your own food. Just order a pizza and make a batch of wings. Keep it simple.
post #3383 of 7365
in that case, i don't remember which recipe I have Matt, was it my test kitchen's, or was it the Peter Reinhart? I like both of them,but do have a slight preference for this one.
post #3384 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Just put the chicken thighs right on the oven racks, no cookie sheets.
I just saved you from having to do the dishes.

I think you also saved him from having to clean anything in his house ever again (except the ashes of course)
post #3385 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy View Post

in that case, i don't remember which recipe I have Matt, was it my test kitchen's, or was it the Peter Reinhart? I like both of them,but do have a slight preference for this one.

From The Italian Baker. Took two minutes to make in the food processor. No fuss at all when pulling into shape. I think the olive oil in it probably made it so smooth and without blisters, but it also made it delicious and simple.
post #3386 of 7365
I'm excited for you, Rambo. Good luck with your thighs.
post #3387 of 7365
i dunno man. pie isn't that easy to make
post #3388 of 7365
FG, What does the oil add to the finished crust? I love NY style crusts (crusty, chewy, and light) which are made from just flour, yeast, salt, and water.

Lamb turned out awesome BTW, thanks for the anchovy suggestion- it gave the meat enough flavor to make it very unique without actually tasting fishy. I also ended up adding a bit of cumin, which went well with the rosemary and Palestinian Qidar side dish.
post #3389 of 7365
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbel View Post

FG, What does the oil add to the finished crust? I love NY style crusts (crusty, chewy, and light) which are made from just flour, yeast, salt, and water.
Lamb turned out awesome BTW, thanks for the anchovy suggestion- it gave the meat enough flavor to make it very unique without actually tasty fishy. I also ended up adding a bit of cumin, which went well with the rosemary, and Palestinian Qidar side dish.

Shortens the gluten. Makes it easier to work.
post #3390 of 7365
Are tallow and suet interchangeable? I'm trying a recipe that calls for liquefied suet. Also calls for bitter oranges which I'm having trouble finding, the interwebz say I can use a mix of orange, grapefruit, lemon, lime as a sub, sound right?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Random Food Questions Thread